Modding Help How to make custom races?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bayley, Nov 2, 2015.

1. bayley

bayley Cosmic Narwhal

So I've been planning to make a custom race. I have an idea for it, and I got a race template. But it wasn't updated. So I was like: "Oh well, might as well look up some tutorials!" Until I ran into a snag.

All of them are outdated.

Which kinda sucks. So, can anyone give me (and anyone else who has the same problem) a tutorial?

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Best Answer
    I have been tempted to make my own version of a template race mod, but the basics are:

Body sprites, species file, ai sprite files, SAIL tech sprite overlay, player.config patch for species name...

It's a lot of information to list without unpacked assets in front of you. You can tear apart any up-to-date race mod for a clearer example.

3. bayley

bayley Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks.
    By the way is there an option to replace a vanilla race with a custom one? I think an anime human mod did that once, but that was ages ago.

4. Mackinz

Change the sprites, and patch in a change to the species file to change the races displayed name.

5. Zach_Attack

Zach_Attack Pangalactic Porcupine

Any way to change the base colors? Because I made a race(Tyrannus) And I don't like it having the human skin colors I want like the avian ones :p

6. Mackinz

Why don't you... look at the bodyColor, undyColor, and hairColor sections of a species file? That's how every species can be multiple colors in-game.

7. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

If you want to create something from scratch I should have my race base template updated for the 1.0 update soon.

8. Zach_Attack

Thanks, But in what files are those?

9. Mackinz

Reread and you shall receive.

10. Zach_Attack

I'm having trouble with the game crashing everytime I click the random name thing. I did follow the instructions on how to rename the species but it's not working. Help?

11. Mackinz

I can't debug everything for you. Use your starbound.log file and figure out the issue.

12. Zach_Attack

It Can't Read The Json File... Any Fix? Also Would simply deleting the file help at all?