1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to change the character difficulty at Upbeat Giraffe

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TobiJet, Feb 8, 2015.

1. TobiJet

TobiJet Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A few minutes ago I found out how to change the difficulty you can choose in the character creation.

-First of all you`ll need the programm "notpad++" otherwises you won`t finde the needed passage.
    -Then you have to go to your Starbound directory. (Mine is. "C:\Games\Steam games\steamapps\common\Starbound"
    -Next step is to go to the "player" folder in the "upbeat Giraffe" folder.
    -There you are goining to find some strange named files (e.g. 1a1bc3f148e39fff25cf6d8127a46566). for us are only the ".player" and
    ".player.bak[x]" (x= figure).
    -Now you need to check every ".player" file to find the charcacter you want to edit.
    -IMPORTANT: there are two positions where the name could be.
    -The first option is that the name is the first word in the 3rd row
    - The second option is that the name is in the 2nd row behind the "description"

First option
    [​IMG]

Second option
    [​IMG]

-After finding the right character you need to go to the end of the row where the characters name is. There you`ll find the words: "casual", "normal" or "Hardcore" (IMPORTANT: You cant revive characters that died in Hardcore mode by changing it!)
    -Now you can change the word to casual, normal or hardcore, but that wasn`t everything. Now you need to open the ".player.bak[x]" files (They look like the .player files) and search for the characters name (There could be more than one) and edit the difficulty too.

PS: I hope I posted it into the right section and sorry for my bad english

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Meursing and The | Suit like this.
  2. CJoshuaV

CJoshuaV Void-Bound Voyager

I found my character name, but not the difficulty.

3. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Fair warning: Tampering with .player files can corrupt them; be sure to back them up before playing around with them!

4. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

There are already utilities available to do this (eg. starcheat).

5. CJoshuaV

CJoshuaV Void-Bound Voyager

I went ahead and rerolled :D

6. 03909san

03909san Intergalactic Tourist

I used this tutorial, and I didn't have luck finding anything in the .Bak files, however just changing the difficulty in the .player file seemed to work well.

7. 0mega420

0mega420 Space Spelunker

i was able to find it easy i just searched for "hardcore" not my name and change it to casual. this is only used once in the file so there is no missing it, search casual, normal, or hardcore depending on what your set at.

8. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

It might also be a good idea to use notepad++, amazing program.

9. buz9

buz9 Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks to OP for this great how to, Otherwise wouldnt know where to begin. Also: as of 1.0, the location of the file is in: Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player Good Luck!