Modding Help How the hell does people do ships like these ?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by ClassicWizzz, Dec 22, 2013.

1. ClassicWizzz

ClassicWizzz Intergalactic Tourist

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/space-hunter-ship-mod.435/

i am a totaly scrub at programming/moding/etc. , what i like its the art part , i realy realy want to make a better spaceship for myself, i think i can do a Normandy of mass effect , i want to do it.

its hard to do a ship like this?

what programs do people use to make these awsome ships like the example i mentioned? its realy hard for a scrub like me these stuff?

its this program that all people use here? : http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/starstructor-the-starbound-toolset.152/

2. Eathed

Eathed Pangalactic Porcupine

Starstructor is only for placing the blocks of the ship, not doing the detailed graphical work. I use Photoshop for doing both, but something like GIMP would work as well. I wouldn't say it's hard to do, but it can get a bit tedious at times. When you are making the part of the ship that you walk around in, keep in mind that a block is 8 pixels square. When I do ships I generally stick with 40 pixel tall doorways. This leaves a full block of space above the player's head.

3. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

If all you want to change is the art, just open up one of the shipship.png folders and edit the picture. If you can do the art, the rest of it is not hard.

4. ernestopresto

ernestopresto Subatomic Cosmonaut

Paint.NET is a pretty nice one for free that's really good for pixel based art. It has layers with blending styles, but it's overly complicated with stuff you don't need for pixel art.

5. ClassicWizzz

ClassicWizzz Intergalactic Tourist

my problem is the initial layout to star doing the art, please someone who have made one costum ship give me some lights here.

i hope someones make a guide

6. Rizzozo

Rizzozo Subatomic Cosmonaut

Personally, I use GIMP 2 for pixel editing of the background ship image. I've used Photoshop extensively in the past but GIMP has some features that makes pixel editing much easier.

There are a few guides already out there but I'd like to give a little insight into my logic for working with a default ship and ending with a design. Always backup your ship's default folder.

In my process I usually:

1. Load the default background ship image from the ship's folder because it is already aligned in the structure file.
    2. After the file is loaded in GIMP, I draw an 8x8 pixel block and create a new or modify the interior using blocks
    3. Align the new blocks to the default ship interior.
    4. Erase the default ship (Allot of people just copy and paste parts of the default ship instead of deleting and drawing from scratch)
    5. Art Part! Draw my ship around the perfectly aligned interior made of blocks (delete the blocks before saving)
    6. Edit the ship in Startructor and build the actual interior

7. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

I'll note that the apex ship's exhaust port is actually misaligned, as I found out when using that as a base, so don't use that.