How ''magic'' would fit

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DevilForce, Jun 15, 2012.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes! i like it!

41.1%
  2. No, i dont like it.

45.2%
  3. I dont care.

13.7%
  1. Dagorlad

Dagorlad Subatomic Cosmonaut

It was pointed out quite early why they floated.

2. Kalvuric

Kalvuric Big Damn Hero

You guys really like arguing about the same stuff alot, don't you. Amazed this thread made it to 15 pages considering how little there is to say on the issue (no magic in Starbound, wait for a mod.)

3. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That doesn't matter when they were pointed out, the point is that you will be so amazed about that when you first bloody see it, it will seem so impossible, but when someone explains why, you will not have that feeling anymore. (that depends on what kind of person you are)

4. Dagorlad

Then we have very different views on science fiction, because I was expecting anything out of the ordinary to at least have a passing mention at how it works.

5. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Powered by Tim Curry Clowns. Thats how it floats.

And this topics made it to 15 pages because its a controversial subject. People love debating over stuff like this. Theres no worries.

6. DevilForce

DevilForce Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"This is what I mean" is what I am suggesting, and the exact opposite is another thing. I am not leaving that until SOMEONE will give me a legit answer to my question that I've asked before AND give me a legit explanation why not. Don't start by explaining first. THEN I will shut up, because that unanswered question drives me crazy.

7. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

Well, look at what Bioshock 1 & 2 did... They did a fine job.

8. Noc

Noc Guest

I say no, without reading any of the arguments.

9. Dagorlad

Answer: No.
    Why? Devs said no magic.

Happy now?

10. obsidia

obsidia Space Hobo

Alright, I had to sign up just to make a statement to you HURR MAGIC NO NO morons. What Kickball is proposing is not akin to Harry Potter, which he has stated so many times, so stop playing semantics, and realize that his statement makes loads more sense than your insipid 'counter-arguments'.

11. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

The starbound forums are already magic.. I mean Obsidia is a talking mop.
    Anyways You can have magic, that is really science.

12. obsidia

obsidia Space Hobo

See, say this the first time, while it makes you look boring for not having a reason, you look far less dense in just stating that it's not happening.

13. Kickball1237

Kickball1237 Aquatic Astronaut

Sadly enough, the devs don't have all the say. Provided this game ages and runs its course, as all games do, mods will be created. This thread does indeed serve a purpose as a content creator. So as we both to go our different ways, we will have to do so with very separate ideas on the nature of sci-fi. While i'll enjoy a relaxed, casual gaming experience I can only hope you come across certain game elements that prompt you to rack your brain for a pseudo-intellectual response as it so clearly often does. Dark times indeed mr.potter.

14. Dagorlad

So you signed up solely to add nothing to the discussion of something that won't be part of the core game and instead just to insult those who want a sci-fi game.

Actually, the devs have the final say on all matters relative to the core game, which is what this thread is about. Had it been a thread about modding magic into the game as opposed to becoming a core element then there wouldn't have been any problem. Is it wrong to want a science fiction game where technology is the focus and not some sparkly fx coming out of someone's extremities?

15. obsidia

obsidia Space Hobo

No, I signed up to correct you, because you're taking the term 'magic' too literally.

And furthermore, the 'sparkling extremities' part was entirely your mention, no one elses.

Kickball1237 likes this.
  16. Dagorlad

By calling me a moron? What excellent debating skills you have.

17. obsidia

obsidia Space Hobo

Judging by what I've read, you're not really one to debate with, but if you want to banter back and forth, shouldn't we take that to a PM?

18. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

Exactly this. I'm fine with a mod, as it won't take time and focus away from the game I desire.

While you are technically correct in saying this, it more looks like 2 kids fighting to get the last word. Let's leave it at this and go back to the topic at hand.

19. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

Magic is not one size fits all my friend. Thats what stretchy pants are for.

20. Blazerer

Blazerer Void-Bound Voyager

But as no one disagrees when I use the general concept of magic, I must assume that is what people are after. That concept of magic, with no explanation or any logic behind it whatsoever is what I will continue to fight against.