1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you organize your stuff?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by claudekennilol, Apr 27, 2015.

1. claudekennilol

claudekennilol Space Kumquat

So there's tons of stuff in Starbound. How do you go about organizing it? Do you have any feedback on systems that could be implemented to improve organization out of the box?

2. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

I usually craft a ton of lockers and organize by hand.
    The system is just like minecraft with the exception of higher stacking rates.

Edit: Oh! Actually I had a idea concerning faster deleting of items. Instead of dragging to the delete console, why not just press the delete button. It'd make sorting through loot so much easier.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Yubs likes this.
  3. Avarones

Avarones Aquatic Astronaut

I am doing it by hand like Celie. I generally Create some rooms to separate in groups: Food, wood, weapons, etc..

extremist likes this.
  4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Organized Chaos at times...

Mostly I place high yeild container types together and group the contents within to be set as related. eg: Floran materials in one, while another has prison materials.

As for weapons and various vantity they get sprawled out throughout the containers. Eventually I do have in mind to at least separate the vainity into their own room/set of containers. Musical instruments go into their own container.

food is separate, but usually attach the base foods with their corresponding seed. Other crafted food, if I ever get around to that, will go in their own container as well.

Common blocks I will group in various containers, at least with a single stack, but eventually want to have all stacks near each other; so I can eyeball how much I have of a certain thing.
    Tools and Utility items will probably either go into a med bay or two separate places. Medical supplies being separate.
    I have a few containers for stuff waiting to be scanned for printer, and always keep them in those separate containers until scanned; then any extra I put where I would intend.
    Miscellaneous stuff go in their own container. This would be something like those bio samples & cell material, although those ones I might put in med bay.
    I have separate containers for my trees and some growable plants that are not usually food related. Just anything that grows like a tree.

If I decide to keep out my ores, I will have a separate container for the ores and bars themselves.
    I might even separate paintings in their own container, but for now they go into their respective areas.
    Wire block stuff will have a separate container as well, and I might put some of the items that can be affected by them here, but for the most part just the stuff that isn't racial oriented.
    Liquids will get their own container as well. This is so I know which liquids I have. The exception is the fuel, in which I just keep in a chest near my fuel station.

As for crafting stations that is a whole different matter, and for the most part they are just all over till I get biggest ship and then I might put and make a room decorated for them.

That is roughly how I go about things.:)

5. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Visual cues are your best friend in the world when it comes to storage. The more you can do to see at a glance what is in your storage BEFORE you open it up, the easier a time you'll have.

(I've been meaning to make a full tutorial-type post about this but just not yet really gotten round to it. So, condensed version.)

upload_2015-4-27_14-26-2.png
    If you're building a planetside base, then sorting into rooms is very important. This is my "home stuff" storage. It's still in flux, changes will be made as I expand my base, but the basic principles apply. Far right is tile storage, where I use a "sample" tile as a flooring for each cabinet to show what general type of tiles you find inside. Really easy to pick out what I want.

Top-left in the big room is the race-split "normal" furniture and whatnot. Pretty simple, each race's stuff goes in a container from said race's stuff. The tech chests up top contain lights, green are "natural" (fire and bio-luminescence) and blue are electrical. Right end are the more "generic" items, with generic storage in the big chest, random stuff in the crates. (Since this screenshot I've added one of those in-wall lockers to store all the wiring components.)

Below that are the "dungeon/special" furniture. Apex labs, USCM prisons, Lunar Base stuff, etc etc. Most of that will eventually go away and be stored in the "trophy rooms" I plan to create for the more dangerous environs (hey, I play Floran), then probably replaced with stuff for the races whose villages aren't properly implemented yet. Room to the left is where I store all the special biome furniture and whatnot, obviously sorted with that biome's special chest (and some spare materials to make them just in case).

upload_2015-4-27_14-32-32.png

Weapon storage. Now admittedly, I could add some custom signs to better tell what's what, but since I have them blocked off in groups, it's easier for me to tell anyway. Melee weapons are top level sorted by type, going from small knives in the top-left to the big heavy stuff to the far right. Middle is shields and throwables and traps. Bottom is guns, again sorted by type, again starting with small pistols at left up to the rocket launchers at right.

upload_2015-4-27_14-35-42.png

My workshop materials room. Right set of chests are all ores, mostly processed, starting with common Copper and Silver (Rust chest at bottom) then proceeding in tier up to Violium (purple) Aegisalt (green) and Rubium (red) and their alloys, two types of ore per chest.

Left side is the other stuff. The Spring chest holds most of the plant-based materials (flower petals, bio samples), while the Primitive Chest above it contains logs from the various farmable trees. The Bone holds animal-based stuff (Monster plates, bones). Ice has saved-up water where the Tar holds the other, generally more dangerous liquids. the bottom row has manufactured parts of varying rarities, etc.

[​IMG]

Sorting out Armors and Vanity armors with the same general principles. Bottom is race-tied Armors. Top rack of Chests are the hats and back-gear loosely sorted by theme. Below, working on sorting clothes by type (lockers on the right have more "worker" clothes, gold cabinets the dresses and whatnot).

upload_2015-4-27_14-44-8.png

Kitchen storage isn't elaborate but doesn't need to be. Bottom fridges have ingredients, from right to left: meats, non-Earth fruit & veg, Earth fruit & veg, then grains/milk/eggs/etc. Top fridges are finished meals loosely sorted, gonna need to do more work there. Cabinets hold all my other kitcheny stuff, which aren't stored in the prior "furniture" area.

upload_2015-4-27_14-55-17.png

And my spaceship's temporary storage. This section is the temporary library, as I plan to build a real one planetside later (as part of my massive complex meant to house lots of NPCs or other players assuming I even actually get around to doing multiplayer hahahahahahah yeah right), so here I'm just storing any spare Codex books I can get. The racial cases are, of course, the race-specific lore. The chest has boss stuff and other missives. The trash can those rare sewer lores. Those wall lockers? Blueprints. Buttloads of blueprints. Again, once I build a more dedicated space, I'll sort all those blueprints out and store them in biome-specific chests (or other appropriate storage)

upload_2015-4-27_14-55-58.png

And then my temporary "loot sorting" room. I tend to hit multiple planets at a go, rather than popping back home every time, and here is where I sort out all the stuff I grabbed so when I DO go home again, I spend less time finding everything that's supposed to go in my various rooms and whatnot. I'll let you guess what device is used to store what.

Hope this helps.

6. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

I don't collect a whole lot of stuff, but I try to make the storage look "organic" if you know what I mean. I typically build a hangar or cargo area with lots of boxes and crates, and then organize items either by box or by area inside a box (ex. in a 16-slot box, top 8 slots are instruments while bottom 8 slots are bandages, etc). I usually build my ships small (using a custom ship mod) but I still get storage in there by just putting down a box or two in, say, the engine room.

7. Remiarn

Remiarn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My organisation is more like

Day 10: yes, lots of chests going to put everything in its own box with like a sign! Yes I got this!

Day 15: I spent 6+ hours farming ores and dismantling an empty underground base...dear god they are every where! Take time to put everything in a spot before going off to return quest item you went to gather. You go for 1 gem and come back with everything that wasn't nailed down to the floor.

Day 20: Just found another outpost, lots of chests with junk, a toilet, chairs, and other random stuff. Screw it stuff it into the ship locker i'll sort it later. Hour later~ crap... out of locker space oh well run to the house throw everything in chests and except quest items. I'll sort that stuff later...

Day 30: *back pressed on the closet as all the things are falling out of the lockets* BACK BACK YOU BEAST! *jabs items into the locker with a stick and locks it* Phew that's the second time I almost died today. Maybe I should sort this...or I could build a new edition to my house. Now where did I put that stone*eyeballs locker* or I could go questing.....

Its a vicious cycle >< a demon that I cannot conquer easily :whaaat: though not taking everything nailed to the floor would probably be a good start :facepalm:

Yubs likes this.
  8. 1nfinitezer0

1nfinitezer0 Cosmic Narwhal

I try to use a labelling method similar to Sipher when it comes to blocks, only I usually use a handful of related material blocks rather than a single type to place the storage chests on. I've been finding the outpost chests (dark with the blue lights) are the best for stacking. Although, the stone coffin/crypts have more space, so I've got a special weapons area with them on platforms.

Also, this makes your life way easier when it comes to sorting, because otherwise you have to do it manually everytime, rather than set it up once and just redirect from a set of dump chests: http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/item-broadcaster-hyper-storage.1745/

Mahiaga likes this.
  9. Chrillzilla

Chrillzilla Big Damn Hero

Have a rough idea of what is where, at least in this storage area and the smaller one a bit right of this one. Partly sorted like liquids, doors, lights, block types and so on. Other lockers are filled with furniture and decoratives that i think i will need for construction. Near the door its more like 'please dump everything here'. On the real ship everything is more chaotic and only vaguely sorted by race, theme or type. Have begun to not loot everything i find but search and then stick to what i more or less do need to get my project forwarded. Makes me a bit less searching lockers.
    Broadcast storage looks very useful though!

2015-04-28_00010.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  10. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

Depends on my character. I have three characters, one for playing legit, one for bug testing, and a "creative" one for building.

Legit Character
    On a planet I build a warehouse and specific rooms for specific items. Or if I'm building a village/town items will go in storage in the buildings they belong in (weapons in blacksmith, etc). In my ship, I put items in containers that suit their intent (food items in the kitchen, med items in the medical bay, etc).

Bug Tester
    I don't organize with him since I just spawn whatever I need when I'm testing specific things.

Creative Building Character
    I load my entire ship up with ship lockers to store stuff. Most of my blocks stay in my inventory.[DOUBLEPOST=1430289736][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Either that, or a shift+L\R-click to delete would help. That's how a lot of games move something to the trash.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    Dansec and Mahiaga like this.
  11. BrockenSpecter

BrockenSpecter Master Chief

First few ship upgrades its semi-organized I use crates for certain items but generally I just throw things into my ship locker and tell myself I will organize it tomorrow. Once I have a dedicated store room I craft a bunch of lockers and really start sorting my weapons, armor (vanity), blocks, food, etc its all very standard fair but it works so whatever.

12. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

i usually have only 1 or 2 rooms on my ship for storage. i use the rest for artsy stuff. like a crew barracks, kitchen, etc.

i dont need much. i had over 1000 diamonds at one point. i just put props into the 3d printer and feed diamonds into the refinery as needed. it really saves on space.

before that it was total chaos. lab lockers wall to wall............

Mahiaga likes this.
  13. janovick

janovick Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm using my ship to storage racial items and blocks (including building ones). Of course this should hit a limit someday so I'll make additional ones on my home planet. Here you see AVIAN - APEX - HUMAN - GLITCH

[​IMG]

Here you can see FLORAN. The other are empty as Hylotl and Novakids have not been added yet. I'm not sure what to add in the last one. Maybe agarans (not that many stuff to be added, tbh) or maybe Outpost stuff.
    [​IMG]

Here's where I kinda "dump" stuff. Lab lockers are not the best storage items anylonger so I'll remove them. Not to mention my pet keeps getting stuck in those.
    [​IMG]

Here are some of my main dumpsters on my home planet, where I just trow a bunch of random stuff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where I store my seeds - in every planet I visit I always collect a sample of all the trees there are and store them here.
    [​IMG]

My plans are:
    1) Build a very high-techy looking kitchen in my ship.
    2) Build a wooden-like kitchen in my home planet, perhaps near my farms (http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/show-off-your-house-d.37292/page-73#post-2516276)
    3) Build some workshops in my ship, very themed like.
    4) Build a library on home world to storage books and blueprints, according to race.
    5) Build dressing room on my home world, also according to races.
    6) Build a weapons room both in my homeworld and in my ship.

Tamorr likes this.