Modding Help how do i make a custom weapon

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by skannerz22, Aug 30, 2015.

1. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

i tried to edit hylotltier10spear renamed it as a new file "fork"

/spawnitem fork

but it turned into perfectly generic item

i remember this happening years ago
    but i forgot what caused it to fix it

i used notepad++ just editing numbers and adding different projectiles from broadsword

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Moved to the modding section.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

How about posting your code. Its. Possibly improperly formed.

4. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7c5k6anr70jekl/fork.sword?dl=0[DOUBLEPOST=1441003010][/DOUBLEPOST]i edited hylotltier10broadsword this time kept the name the same

but when i spawned it ingame.... it was the same as original nothing had changed?????????[DOUBLEPOST=1441003150][/DOUBLEPOST]https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wjjqpt9l8a9xw2/hylotltier10broadsword.sword?dl=0

i don't understand what is going on

it used to let me edit stuff in notepad++

and now it isn't working[DOUBLEPOST=1441003308][/DOUBLEPOST]like edit weapon damage
    make a weapon have a spear swoosh+ changing the broadswordswoosh to like fire or poison

when i edited the pitchfork it turned into a generic cube

when i edited the broadsword......nothing happened it stayed as original

i put the weapon in mods folder and replaced the original one in the item folder in the unpacked assets folder

but nothing happened not even a generic cube this time so clearly i fixed what caused the cube but i don't know why the weapon didn't change ingame[DOUBLEPOST=1441003393][/DOUBLEPOST]am i suppose to repack the unpacked assets folder? each time i want to change something?[DOUBLEPOST=1441003933][/DOUBLEPOST]

this was basically all i did except also modifying the projectile type

but fork turned into a generic cube(i then lowered level when i edited the broadsword) but broadsword didn\t change

but i didn\t make some folder and sub folder inside mod folder maybe that was the problem

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please don't double-post. If the forum didn't have an automatic merging plugin, you'd have 6 posts stacked together there. Use the edit button.

6. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

7. lazarus78

The sword name is "hylotltier10broadsword".

Most of this is based on old information from previous versions of the game. You should use current versions.

8. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

that is current version
    that is the name which was there when i unpacked the packed.pak file

i did everything according to this video

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8icbci0lef6zfk1/AAAYWRGnGdR0gppjE2sWmoQFa?dl=0

and now i get an error similar to these http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/game-crashes-fatal-exception-error.99359/ https://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/3/535151589884539657/
    which i didnt get before following that video

i'm not sure wtf is going on because it used to be so simple to make a custom weapon just edit stuff in the original weapon and i was all set to /spawnitem and have fun (apart from occasional generic cubes when i made a value too high)

but now i am getting an error when i followed a tutorial the game is now unplayable despite i did nothing wrong this time around

i haven't played in 2 years
    i quit because they wiped characters

and 2 years later the game is still in beta status? like wtf is this

9. lazarus78

That video is from almost 2 years ago. Its mostly wrong.

Your issue might stem from your excessive use of 9s too.

I suggest you get the most recent assets, from Pleased Giraffe, start by duplicating an existing weapon and change its name. See if you can spawn it in, then go from there. Make little changes, then test again. Rinse and repeate till done.

10. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................these are recent weapons.........................................................................................................there is no other weapons to edit...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................there is only 1 packed.pak file...................................................................................................................................................................................................these weapons are from there ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................the actual folders that aren't from packed.pak are empty.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. lazarus78

That's an excessive amount of dots.

Then do what I said. Duplicate an existing weapon and only change its name. See if you can spawn it in. If yes, then make another change and test it. Keep doing that till you have the weapon you want. If it fails for any reason, then you made a mistake.

12. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

the game is pointless

i wanted to play with a custom weapon
    but it turns into generic cube if i put it in the main assets folder

the game doesn't launch at all with exceptions if it's in the mod folder

the game is 2 years still in beta and mods don't work
    clearly the game is not finished=waste of money

13. lazarus78

Assets folder? What? Thats... not where mods go... No wonder it's not working.

If mods didn't work, then what have I been doing for he past few months...[DOUBLEPOST=1441086549][/DOUBLEPOST]Go to ..\Steam Games\SteamApps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\mods\ and make a folder called "MyMod".

In that folder, create a file called MyMod.modinfo

Edit that file and put in the following:
    Code:
    {
      "name" : "MyMod",
      "path" : ".",
      "dependencies" : []
    }

Make another folder, inside your "MyMod" folder, called "items". Put your weapon in there.

At this point, it should work in game now.

14. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: Losing Your Cool.
    wtf have you been doing?
    i already said how it gave an error the game was unplayable and captain derp you claimed the video was outdated
    yet you are just telling me to do
    what i already fucking done..via the video

i was able to launch after removing the useless mod out of the useless mod folder

how about actually reading what i said

so i put it in assets where it USED TO WORK YEARS AGO but it turned into generic cube LIKE I ALRERADY FUCKING SAID OCCASIONALLY HAPPENED but when i fixed the cube problem THEN THERE WAS NO EDITED WEAPON AT ALL it just spawned the original WHICH DID NOT HAPPEN IN THE PAST

i am just going around in circles here and you are just having fun piling more shit on me

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  15. lazarus78

Don't get pissy with me. Ive been trying to help you... patently...

If you want help, post your starbound.log file so I can see the exact crash you are getting. Also post your exact mod files. Not copy and paste, the files themselves.

Or you can go on and believe mods don't work (Which they most asuradly do, when done properly) and we can call it a day. Your choice.

16. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

i already did but you're not paying attention

and i did do it properly..like i already fucking said then it gave an error
    because the shit game is still in beta after 2 years

it is not my fault the developers can't finish their game after 2 years

if i wanted to play an infinite alpha/beta game then i would of continued playing 7 days 2 die which has been in alpha for years

17. lazarus78

There, a working sword. Sword called "swordthingie". Edit as you will.

Attached Files:

18. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

but it's exactly the same as i did

the only difference was your mod into had less stuff in it than mine so i copyed yours and now it spawned

but the weapon has -2billion on it so i need to fix that

yet the game launched without error
    it didn't turn into a cube

i didn't make a recipe for it

thanks

19. lazarus78

If it was exactly the same, it would have worked. You had syntax errors, which was probably your main problem.

20. skannerz22

skannerz22 Big Damn Hero

i think i found what the crash problem is
    in the past it let me have a spearswoosh+swordswoosh

but now it doesn't anymore :([DOUBLEPOST=1441091005][/DOUBLEPOST]i changed it to rainbow swoosh removing the spear swoosh
    and it works fine now
    :( well i miss those days when i used to have a spear/sword hybrid weapon that was fun[DOUBLEPOST=1441091458][/DOUBLEPOST]how do i edit the swing speed?

i tried editing the windup and cooldown but that didn't change it

i tried to edit the rate of swing but that didn't change even when it was 99 and 0.1 the swingspeed stayed at 1.20[DOUBLEPOST=1441091653][/DOUBLEPOST]oh i found firetime i forgot to test that

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015