Modding Help how do I add a radio message after using an object to an object?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by bob6784558, Sep 12, 2016.

1. bob6784558

bob6784558 Space Spelunker

I'd like to add a message to an object like after powering the gate in the story, have it static. A radiomessage

2. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

Look the A.V.I.A.N ai mod, it's add custom radio message for the main story quest and when you pick up some items and objects.

3. Superepicgecko

Superepicgecko Space Penguin Leader

Many existing ore items have radio lines which trigger when you pick them up. Example:

coalore.item
    "radioMessagesOnPickup" : [ "pickupcoal" ]

Now, you'd need to find which file contains the radio calls and add your own, but that shouldn't be difficult.

4. bob6784558

Thanks

5. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

/assets/radiomessages/tutorial.radiomessages contains the specific things he mentioned; looks simple enough to add new ones.

Superepicgecko likes this.
  6. bob6784558

Ok, thanks. Would I just make a radiomessage.patch or just wright my own tutorial.radiomessages but rename it to something like tutorial2.radiomessages. Would that work?

7. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would just make a .patch for it to add your lines. I assume it would be easiest if there is already a default method of triggering the message that knows how to use that file. (i.e. copy whatever happens when you pick up coal)

8. bob6784558

I should have said after you use the object it plays the message. I have tried what I think to be everything and have not found a way to do so.

9. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Radio Messages seem to refuse to trigger unless for specific conditions. For example when they are connected to a quest, or a scripted message in a mission. Or OnItemPickup.

10. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Look at the challenge doors code for an idea on this.

They queue radio messages in their scripts and output them to players within a specified radius around the door.

bk3k and Charlatan like this.