1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I translate "Starbound"?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by blind sniper, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houston I have a problem here...X3
    I'm trying to translate the game title, but I can't understand exactly what is the meaning developers put in it? For a man who thinks in English this may seem silly and ridiculous, but I'm totally serious.:confused:
    'Star', well, star always means star, a shiny thing on the night sky. But 'bound'...
    In Russian, there are several translations of this word, and they differ significantly. I'll try to use synonyms to explain diverse meanings, and I ask everyone (especially devs) to sustain what is closer to original:
    1. 'Enchained by Stars'
    2. 'Star Frontier'
    3. 'Star Jump'
    4. Something else

Will be grateful for any help :alien:

2. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

Starbound means bound to the stars, thats enough said :p

3. iblob

iblob Big Damn Hero

Well i always thought of it the same way as i thought about Earthbound.
    Earthbound means bound to earth so Starbound means bound to the stars as you can never truly spend all your days on a planet your home is always in space.

tedlil, RedRiderX and blind sniper like this.
  4. Cellbind

Cellbind Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm guessing it means you are heading in the direction of the stars, or maybe it just means something like homeward bound.

GalacticRooster likes this.
  5. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

When I die I want to have my body put into a coffin and plunged into space, maybe an intelligent alien race will find it and make a clone of me ;)

6. ViewedCloth

ViewedCloth Zeromus

We went from helping a guy translate a word to someone talking about wanting their dead body to be launched into space in the hopes that Aliens will find it and clone him.

Screw Consistency.

Marak, Zeska, deebee396 and 4 others like this.
  7. Hundreds thanks to you iblob! Your example with "Earthbound" helped me a lot ( unfortunately I did not know that word before:oops: ). I still have no idea how to translate the title exactly, but I understand it much better now!:up:

8. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Bound means connected? Something like that. So your in the stars and can't go back to Earth.

9. Thiel

Thiel Zeromus

Star-Bound that to hard?:D

10. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Star - Ball of fire
    Bound - to be stuck on
    We are in orbit with stars ;)
    Thus we're starbound!
    ~ John

11. Shotacon

Shotacon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Прикрепленный к звездам
    I speak Russian but don't have a Russian keyboard so had to use Google translate, I think this would be an appropriate title for the Russian forum.

12. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Star Bound, Bound for the Stars, meaning the destination is 'the stars'. Exploring space, really.

Marak likes this.
  13. Techgamer

Techgamer Big Damn Hero

Actually, I think bound for the stars...

which I guess means your going to the stars...

or something... :p

EDIT:
    Woops... didn't see that D:

14. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

Hmmm I never thought of the different English meanings. Personally I think of it as "heading to the stars". Like homeward-bound: Adj, homeward-bound - oriented toward home; "in a homeward direction". Otherwise kind of like oriented towards the stars, going in a direction of the stars, navigating to the stars, going outward towards the stars, bound for the stars, whatever.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't be surprised if the other Devs had other thoughts. And ultimately it's what TIY thinks it is. So maybe it's more like "binded to the stars" or "stuck in the stars" something else. I never really thought about it that much and I did the current logo. :p

15. Wow thanks, George! I like your meaning of this. I think that this polysemy of the name adds more depth to it. I believe that the Russian name must also be a bit ambiguous to leave room for imagination. What do you think about "Betrothed to the Stars" (in rough translation)? It's less accurate but more romantic:)

16. Techgamer

Techgamer Big Damn Hero

that's what I meant. but I was too lazy to actually look it up xD

17. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm, that gives me an idea. Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could actually travel to stars with a super-cooling space suit?
    Then one could really be "starbound" :love:

18. Bonabopn

But think of the radiation! :O

19. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

The idea wasn't 100% serious! :laugh:

20. Bonabopn

Neither was I! I think. I don't remember. :s

Breather likes this.
Thread Status: