Horse with Boobs for Glitch (Poll: Yes or No?)

Discussion in 'Other' started by Thundercraft, May 29, 2014.

?

Should the "Horse with Boobs" A.I. art be used for the Glitch?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2014.
  1. Yay! It is cool and funny! (And it works for the Glitch)

51 vote(s)
    34.5%
  2. Nay! It is ugly and -not- appropriate for the Glitch!

97 vote(s)
    65.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

That's true. That's why I think it's not beneficial to continue arguing about it, because no conclusion would be achieved. :/

2. Dargona1018

Dargona1018 Existential Complex

There would be one conclusion, though.
    It is mostly perceived as a meme or something terribly silly (disliking it, or finding it amusing), and that not everyone likes this new horse.

And, if they look at the poll, Nay is winning, 75-42.
    This might make them look at something else to put in it's place.

3. FLOknows

FLOknows Subatomic Cosmonaut

Practical? It's a damn game, it's supposed to be fun.

ShinyPants and Akado like this.
  4. Dargona1018

Point out just another thing that is silly, or wacky, or another other synonym, that is in the game.
    If you look around, most of the things are not exactly serious, but not at all just silly and wacky.

5. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Boobhorse improved my golf game, therefore it is practical! That's a factual, objective, rational answer, duh.

I think it's pretty silly to ask if something "makes sense for the game" or if it "is practical" because those are not objective questions. You're really just asking if people like it (yes/no) and if they can find some justification for their opinion (line_0412 of lore says yes... well, line_0416 says no!").

People have different opinions, some people feel strongly one way or another. This is the internet, so that happens. Also, the poll's answers are not exactly "Yes/No", because they tack on additional words. "Yes, AND it is....." versus "No, AND it is..."

If you want a simple answer, then ask a simple question.

TV Helmet is silly, wacky, and another synonym, and it is in the game.

6. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

None of you will ever understand the special bond a captain has with his horsewife.

In seriousness, though, lemme quite myself from the thread prior to this that argued the exact same thing:

7. Dargona1018

That isn't truly silly/wacky IMO. It looks cool, it seems serious, and it's not like something flickers across the screen (something = something silly/wacky).
    It truly is a pretty cool item, though.

8. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

No, we won't understand the special bond between a captain and his horsewife, because the laws protect us.

I think this is just the latest outrage over something that's kinda small (and easily moddable) and not set in stone. I really hope that a content update comes out soon, so that people can go back to playing the game and posting pics of new item drops or vanity costumes, rather than all this stupid speculative rage over things that may or may not actually make it into the game.

Then, the pink Tutu. Or the purple Dance Costume. Or the Floran comment on the Archery Dummy (glitch towns): "Metal Man make straw man. Now we need lion man." Or Floran referring to non-empty regeneration pods as "Soup". Or the Statue of George V. Or BRAWW's shrine to Mollygos.

No offense, but it's kinda silly to say that there's nothing silly in the game. Just say what you feel about the horse AI. This is a subjective subject, so just say what you feel and don't worry about "proving it". Leave that for internet de..ba...oh, I see.

Dargona1018 likes this.
  9. FLOknows

FLOknows Subatomic Cosmonaut

Tentacle planets, robots riding horses, plant race, bird race, ufo filled with penguins w/ laser guns, all the famous painting parodies, frog merchants, many of the hats (especially cardboard box and dinosaur head), eyeball trees, rainbow everything, and the names of the weapons. I could go on and on. Just about everything in the game is wacky and silly. If those don't meet your definition of wacky and silly then whatever, I'm not here to argue semantics with you.

10. Dargona1018

Only the names of weapons are kinda silly or wacky.
    I am not meaning garden-variety funny things, I mean very out of the box, makes you say "Huh?" or "Dafuq?", that kind of wacky.

11. Relic the Philosopher

Relic the Philosopher Tentacle Wrangler

Not entirely sure about this one... I geuss it's an OK idea, but I see it more as an Easter Egg type thing... nah, this is kinda weird for me. I'm all for titties, but a horse is just too much, man.

12. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

Whether or not it was the intent, the meme connection is obvious and that's how many are going to see it. Lazy and inappropriate: That's how it looks to most of us.

Exactly. And until they actually address this issue, we're going to continue speculating and complaining.

It's not some people. This is hugely divisive. The vote is currently divided almost 2/3rd against and 1/3 for. And advocates seem just as vocal as the naysayers.

And it's not just because it's horrifyingly ugly or because it looks like a cheap meme copycat. It's also because we can't begin to imagine how it fits the Glitch. It's all these factors taken together.

You are happy with Horse Woman - with the way the game is. And you don't want to see it changed. Your view will be biased, just as mine is biased. As such, you can't possibly imagine how upset Horse With Boobs is making some of us. You don't feel that way, so you can't relate.

Fact: Many players love Horse With Boobs. Fact: Many other players loathe Horse With Boobs with a passion - so much so than a number of them have announced that if they are stuck with this, then they will no longer play as Glitch.

Question: How hard would it be for the devs to make a minor code change to give players the option to choose their own AI? I can't imagine it taking a programmer more than a couple hours or so (at most). And doing so would keep everyone happy, instead of letting all this resentment and negativity pile up.

You are absolutely right that Starbound devs are not obligated to buckle under fan requests or protests. Their only real obligation is to - in due course - release a finished product. That, and to deliver on promises (such as Kickstarter bonuses). And I have faith they are trying to do right by fans. Already, the beta is a good game.

But what is the point of these forums if they do not serve as a medium of communication between the devs and the playerbase? Granted, much of the purpose is there to give players access to information, such as on patches, announcements, work-in-progress, help, tips, strategies, mods, modding, etc, etc.

But it should also serve as a way for devs to get input from the playerbase. Communication is a two-way street. We know for a fact the fanbase has an impact on the devs as they have incorporated some mods into the game itself. They've even hired a modder onto their staff. There is a Suggestions area. There are bug reports filed. We also know they read these forums. So we're not talking in a vacuum... are we?

None of us can say for certain that it won't matter. For all we know, they might change the AI or, at the very least, make some sort of announcement about it. If nothing else, we're upset. And we should be allowed to voice our disapproval, as long as we're polite about and follow forum rules.

Indeed, that's one possibility that both sides can agree on. So why the devs won't consider it is beyond me.

But Horse Lady advocates are clearly the minority. As such, I don't see why the only options should be either forcing everyone to accept Horse Lady or allowing the AI to be customizable. For something so divisive, it should be replaced for the greater good.

Question: Can someone name an aspect of the game that was more divisive than this?

If nothing else, allowing players to choose their AI would solve this issue.

Also, understanding may help. Please, if you can, explain to us how Horse Lady fits the Glitch theme? That is, if you can give us a new perspective that hasn't already been repeated?

Anyway, I think talking about it helps to vent our frustration. And we really want to bring attention to this issue because we feel so strongly about it.

It must impede the fun factor for some of us if some players are outright declaring they will no longer play as Glitch.

And from reading the earlier blogs, it sounded like - initially - the devs were not even sure they were going to have a ship AI. (At first, it was "WIP" and they seemed to be just discussing the possibility.)

There were design goals in mind for the Ship AI interface. As I recall, there were practical reasons for it, like having an easy-to-use, centralized interface and to improve game immersion. (But for some of us, we'd rather do without a ship AI interface if having it means being forced to use Boob Horse.)

A better question would be "makes sense for the Glitch".

It comes down to "game immersion". There are a number of factors involved. And one of the things that can break immersion is an aspect of the game that seems "out of place". Another important aspect of game design, related to immersion, is "appeal" or being able to draw people in.

But if there is something that both seems out-of-place and is grossly repulsive to the majority of the playerbase, then there is something very wrong with it! Villains can be ugly and/or unlikeable. But unless your ship's AI interface is supposed to be a villain, it had better not be downright repulsive, let alone out-of-place.

These questions may not be objective. But the reason I started this poll was to see how many were for and against. I was after opinions. Also, I honestly wanted to understand the other point of view. (I'm still working on that...)

Others have already asked me to change the poll questions to something clearer, like a straight Yes / No. And I explained that this forum does not allow us to change the poll. All I could do was change the thread title to include "Yes or No", which I've done.

If you think Bewb Horse fits the Glitch, then PLEASE explain to us naysayers how. We just don't see it. Like, at all. All we have are a couple of really, really weak theories, like Glitch = Medieval = Knight on Horse = Starship as Mount.

All the other ship AI avatars are cool looking. And it's not much of a mystery which race they fit... except Booby Horse.

Do you remember the "Which One Doesn't Belong" puzzle game on Sesame Street?

If you look at the 6 racial ship AI's we have and try this, which one do you think people will pick out as being different? Seriously: If you advocates can't even admit that Horse Lady is very distinctly different from the other 5 AI's, then you're not being honest with yourselves.

I'm saying it's very cleary different and it does not belong!

Yes, Starbound has some silly stuff. And there's a lot about the game, down to the cute 2D graphics, that's difficult to take seriously. Certainly, you can't take this game as serious as, say, Mass Effect or Deadspace. But there's "cute'n silly" and then there's horrifyingly freakish or downright ridiculous.

Anyway, none of us are forced to wear silly hats. And none of those things you mentioned seem as freakish as Horse With Boobs. (With the possible exception of tentacle planets, which, while creepy, are still rather cool-looking.) And, for Glitch players, none of them will be quite as prevalent in one's game experience as the Ship's AI.

In games, an Easter Egg is an inside joke or hidden message or feature. Often, they will be a subtle reference to other games or works of fiction. Most players will miss them entirely, unless they are told about them or intentionally look for them. Even then, they might not get the reference.

In contrast, Horse With Boobs is an in your face type meme or joke (if you can call it that) which - as far as we know - all Glitch players will be forced to use whenever they do some important things with their ship. There's absolutely nothing subtle or hidden about it (except how it fits the Glitch).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    Lecic, Dargona1018 and ___MeRliN___ like this.
  13. ObsidianDragon13

ObsidianDragon13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

this could be easily solved with the option to choose your A.I. or even buy another races ship. if it did that then i would have no problem with it people who want it can have it but as a glitch (with a human brain) it just isint compatible with me but if not i say naaaaaaay.

___MeRliN___ likes this.
  14. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

YES!Yes yes yes yes yes!
    A wizard would be SO COOL!

Thundercraft likes this.
  15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

so...

do people hate this AI

becouse she is a horse

or becouse she is a women

i cant tell =p

im gessing 2

16. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

:facepalm:
    It's a horse with boobs.

You know what?Let's just say that I saw some....things.Horrible....things.And the last thing I need is that ugly thing to remind me of it every time I play Starbound.It also looks scary.

___MeRliN___ and Pingeh like this.
  17. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

Yes boobs

18. Daniel345

Daniel345 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Maybe just a horse, a perfect normal horse. Because someone said that it kinda makes sense cause Glitches travel in horses, so their ship's AI should be one. Ah, but with boobs.
    But I stll think it doens't suit them so much. Just a horse. I would love a wizard or just a Glitch, but it's like you'll always go to repair your ship (if you are a glitch) and you'll see The Titty Horse, and that is disgusting....and extremely weird.....funny

Sir ceil likes this.
  19. Sir ceil

Sir ceil Existential Complex

I didn't feel like reading the whole 5 pages so here is my view.
    The horse is obviously a gag, and should probably be taken like so. So lets have a laugh, and if you don't want it to be permanent make a petition, but I can see where it is just plain weird. A horse with human Genitalia is plain "glitchy" so that is probably why they picked it. For those who want it changed you also could get things even more hilariously glitchy, and send it to the Developers.
    Maybe something like this (though compared to horse not as glitchy)
    [​IMG]

Edit: oh the Horse fits the Lore spectacularly because they are in the "middle ages" and back when my Grandpa was young they used horses as their lively hood, so the meme connection is debunked. Ha commoners. (^^ Above post basically ^^)

Edit: ALSO, the horse would be perfect A.I because It is the basically necessity of the Ship. Just like horse are for carriages. Coincidence? I think not.

20. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Well, to be honest, I think that the "Glitch>Medieval>Horse" is a valid explanation. I bet many brave Glitch knights would take their trusty steed with themselves on an space-faring adventure. But why is it all crazy-looking? I have no idea. Though I don't see why it would be inappropriate, as this game already balances on the line between serious and absurd. The issue here is subjective; when something goes so far it is disgusting and inappropriate instead of funny in someone's opinion. In that sense this is the Po debate all over again.

I understand why the Horse is despised by many people. It's indeed a bit freaky, but that's the thing I like in it. It's different, but it doesn't make it less "cool" than others. It's no worse or better than Avian, Hylotl or Floran AI for example. Expressing opinions is always fine, even when the issue is subjective, but when it gets to the point of endless amount arguments and counter-arguments which ultimately announce the same message there is no point in the debate in the end. Though it doesn't really matter how this plays out in the end. Well, at least devs do know about the controversy.

Also, you assume incorrectly I don't want anything changed in the AI system. The forcing players to one AI based on their race is not the optimal design choice. This is supposed to be a sandbox game after all, "forcing" something sounds a poor concept in a game like this. We should be able to make our own adventure, instead of the having one standard one. And something like ship AI is present for the entire course of the game. With the recent controversy there is more than one reason to have multiple options for the AI. I doubt that the mere presence of horse AI in the game would cause so much dissension, if it would merely be one of several options.

We'll eventually see what the devs choose. Easiest choice would be letting the horse be. Other would be replacing the horse. Best (in my opinion!!!) would be giving the choice to the player, as it would allow more variety and freedom.

tl;dr: I don't love the horse over other AI's. I think the problem here isn't only the horse, but the entire concept of limiting our choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.