1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Here is an android app I made for Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Rocks25, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Rocks25

Rocks25 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I already posted about this on a certain subsection of a certain other site a few days ago, but I figured I'd let you guys in on it too if you didn't already see it.

Right now this app is a Starbound news feed app. It pulls in the official RSS feed and displays each news post in a nice layout formatted for your android phone. It also includes configurable notifications for when there is a new news post so you don't have to constantly check.

When Starbound goes into beta testing, I'll be adding many more features such as info on items, weapons, and monster types (not entirely sure yet what it can include for randomly generated things).

I made this because, well, I wanted an app so I didn't have to be at my computer or pull up my mobile browser to check for news. Then I thought "Hey this isn't actually half bad" so I decided to share it with the Starbound community!

For anyone interested here is the link or simply search the keyword "Starbound" on the android app market (it's the only actual Starbound related app on there right now)

If you have any suggestions or bug reports please let me know!

One last note: I apologize for the ads (I'm a poor college student, what can I say?) , I will add a way to remove them in the next update.

DotBeta, Seajun_, D3RSkully and 12 others like this.
  2. Solokeh Krontos

Solokeh Krontos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love you, Now I can check Starbound news every living second!

Rocks25 likes this.
  3. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

Awesome! I would use it, but sadly I don't own an Android or an I-pod/I-phone. Oh well! Btw, are android apps exclusive to androids? If so, you should consider making it for I-phones too, that way much more people will be able to use it.

bounding star likes this.
  4. Solokeh Krontos

Solokeh Krontos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Knowing the Appstore, it would probably never end up getting approved.

5. dylstew

dylstew Phantasmal Quasar

eeeew, smartphones >.<

6. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

nice, seems very handy

7. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

Well I've never even used an I-device, so I would have no idea :p

8. Jexel

Jexel Subatomic Cosmonaut

You beat me to it. Its looks fantastic though! :) What language/program did you use to make it?

Rocks25 likes this.
  9. Rocks25

Yes unfortunately. I will most likely port it to iOS if I get enough users. Basically I need enough users (and revenue) to justify the $100 a year licensing fee apple charges to have an app on their app store. Because unfortunately I can't afford to pay that yet, even though I'd like to support everyone! But if the app ends up being able to support itself, I will gladly take a crack at it!

Also, it works on android tablets too, so if you ever end up with an android tablet (even if you don't get an android phone), give it try!

Android apps are written in Java. I started using Android Studio (google's new IDE currently in alpha testing), but it wasn't able to compile a library I needed, so I am now using their older IDE (eclipse with ADT bundle) until they fix the issues in Android Studio. Once that happens I'll be using the new IDE again.

10. Jexel

I was thinking about using Python, SL4A and XML layouts. I hadn't actually got found to properly starting to program it, so I might use you're app instead.

11. Rocks25

Interesting, hadn't heard of that before. Although I highly recommend making android apps in java because, even if you have to learn java first, it will be better in the long run. Honestly, the android team thought of EVERYTHING, if there is something you need to do, they already have a base class for it, you just override the functions you need and you're good to go. It's a very nice experience overall.

Jexel likes this.
  12. Jexel

I think I will learn Java at some point to (probably to mod Minecraft and because SL4A is a bit limited in what it can do). The main reason I chose python/SL4A was that I could display XML layouts easily and give the app the ability to create/edit new layouts on the fly.

13. Karth

Karth Pangalactic Porcupine

If I may make a suggestion: Is there any way you could possibly put the ad in a static location? Either at the top or the bottom. Ether way, works flawlessly on my Kyocera Rise. I'll be keeping an eye out for updates!

14. enthusedpanda

enthusedpanda Pangalactic Porcupine

Speak 'n Spells might have wifi and tethering soon. You won't have to rely on your compass and parchment to get home from school anymore!

15. Rocks25

Do you think people would like that better? I myself hate static ads at the bottom of apps, so I came up with the inline ad idea as a more natural way of including ads without them looking terribly ugly and out of place. Ads at the bottom usually look like the developer slapped them down there with absolutely no thought as to what they look like. I wanted these to look like they belong there.

16. Oraiu

Oraiu Cosmic Narwhal

Port it to the nook. I will love you forever. <3

17. Seeker89

Seeker89 Void-Bound Voyager

any way to make it compatible with under 4.0 android?

18. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

Android ftw!

TheTimeLord and Rocks25 like this.
  19. MEWMEW

MEWMEW Existential Complex

Is this legal?

20. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

I have no clue what you are thinking about. Also it fits so well with your avatar.