1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Here are the upcoming ship-updates

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Conir, Dec 18, 2013.

1. SaintPanda

SaintPanda Cosmic Narwhal

Its not a finished design. If it was, he'd probably be coding so it would work already

2. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

The point is the ships need to match the feel of their race. It's a matter of Aesthetics. THis game will have a campaign and plot. In that kind of thing you need aesthetic consistency. If you want your ship to look like a penis decorated with Christmas lights then use a mod to do it.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. The Neon Seal

The Neon Seal Sandwich Man

Freakin' sweet!

4. Oz270

Oz270 Aquatic Astronaut

Thing thats bugging me is, will we be able to change our ships to another model later on?

Like;
    scrap the avian ship and get the apex ship etc...

5. Nef_123

Nef_123 Orbital Explorer

Hell yeah! can't wait :)

6. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

It might be possible. I mean we can take armors from other races

7. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I still say we should be able to upgrade or salvage or buy different ship designs.
    When we start we should just have an escape pod (Local star travel only.) and have to get items to repair/customize the current starter ship.
    This would start us out in a small type ship which is not as useful but eventually we could get better ships.

Different parts of the ships should be changeable / upgraded depending on the parts we have managed to salvage. Lets say I have extra parts from another ship I should be able to add on to the current ship somehow for more space/storage?

8. Cinnaman123

Cinnaman123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

9. tiitha

tiitha Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think the shape needs to look a bit more streamlined. The tacked on upgrades make it awkward and bulky when it reaches the 5th version. The bottleneck really bothers me as well.

10. SaintWacko

SaintWacko Void-Bound Voyager

Hm... It's neat, but I still vastly prefer being able to build my own ship. I'll just stick with the mods that lets me do so!

11. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Zero Gravity Genie

Are the ships still going to be themed based on race? If not, we went from really nicely done small ships to horribly ugly and generic large ships. Which saddens me.

Also, you can put a nail in the coffin of colonization; why bother building anything when you can have a flying planet in your ship?

12. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i hope the people complaining dont ruin this for people who want larger ships =/

Pizzarugi likes this.
  13. Sadida

Sadida Hey, You!

Oh god. How long until we get this update? I can't wait.

We really should have more control over the design of our ships, though.

Galactic Avatar and Lycaon like this.
  14. Pizzarugi

Pizzarugi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wrong.

Unlike the massive ships, you can build your base/colony as big as you darn well like. If you have the time and resources, you could very much make a metropolitan planet that covers both the surface and the entire underground. Whereas ships still have a limited size.

Rhaegar likes this.
  15. Rhaegar

Rhaegar Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think it is too early to proclaim the proverbial death of colonization. I'm sure that, given time and perhaps some good feedback along the way, the devs will add [more] incentives for setting up a base on a planet.

Also this:

16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

some people dont seem to reconise this sadly
    i pray for those people
    *not rilly*

17. Lycaon

Lycaon Big Damn Hero

I would like to know too if this is going to be in one of the next updates or further in the future.
    And yes, but I think all the stuff added right now is more a placeholder to find the right direction. They are at least trying to enhance things :)

18. ghozzt

ghozzt Space Spelunker

I think I just peed my pants im so excited!!

19. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

Personally, I am far more interested in making an awesome ship than building a colony.

20. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

I'm pretty sure this is just concept stage so far. This looks like something that will be way down the line with things like the Nova Kids and dinosour biomes, and cosmetic pets. Although I would kill to see the Hyotl and Avian ship