Chat Hels Chatroom IV: Helen High Water

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hel, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I'm currently checking the news. British police are now stating it was a suicide bomber, the death toll has risen from 19 to 23.

Jimlad 42 and Waffle-Chan like this.
  2. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

Yeah, people have been losing their *sarcastically* mod/friends a lot recently.

3. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say. Might just be because I woke up, like, half a hour ago and there's still blood in my caffeine vessels. Care to elaborate?

4. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Same, I'm not sure what you're getting at

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  5. The Purple Dragon

Just pointing out that if he was saying it out loud that it would have been one of those moments that someone didn't really care, then corrected themselves so no one would get angry.

6. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Sorry to insult you my liege

7. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

Suicide bombers are just the biggest douches.

8. The Purple Dragon

No, not being angry. Just have a weird sense of humour. I'd post a link to one of those moments but I can't recall any by name.

Jimlad 42, Surenu and Waffle-Chan like this.
  9. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Truer words ne'er spoken my friend. But then again, I'll never get behind terrorism in the first place, and I have read and researched a lot on the topic. Why kill people who don't share your beliefs or ideologies? Does this make your religion or political views any more attractive for me? I just don't understand it. It's weird, and innocent people - including children in the case of Manchester - have to suffer for it.

10. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Agreed. (Just out of curiosity) How many times have you said "Truer words ne're spoken"?

11. The Purple Dragon

Zealotry is much like madness, if you don't suffer it, you can't really believe it to be much of a reason.

12. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

It's actually one of my catchphrases of sorts, just like my "Great minds think alike". I you want to know the actual truest words I, personally, believe were ever spoken it'd be Socrates' famous quote "I know that I know nothing".

This is, in a certain sense, comforting, because it means I'm sane after all.

13. The Purple Dragon

Not really, we're all mad here.
    *begins humming Davey Jones' lullaby as I make a mayonnaise sandwich*

14. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

(All I can think of is "So-Crates" when I read that name)

Interesting(I feel the same way about the Socrates quote)

15. The Purple Dragon

I don't know much about Socrates, he'll be my new study topic for a while.

16. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

He most likely never actually said that. It was just from Platos account on him, and Plato wasn't exactly known for accuracy. Still, wise words.

17. BigEaredKittens

BigEaredKittens Master Astronaut

They sure have done a good job of destroying wher they live tho.

18. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

There's actually a pretty good free eBook on the matter, but I don't know if an English translation exists. It's called "Europe and the Middle East" and outlines the relationship between the two regions from the dawn of civilization to the early 2000's. It's my go-to literature whenever I need info on pretty much anything related to that.

19. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

And then America came along

20. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

There have always been hegemonial powers throughout history. Persia, the Sassanid Empire, Rome, the Crusader States in Outremer, the first Caliphate, the Chinese empire, the British empire, France under Napoleon, Spain, the USSR.... the US is just the continuation of this trend. Empires come and go, but there will almost always be at least one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.