Chat Hel's Chat Room of Off Topicness II: Helbound.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hel, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

The good thing about uni is that noone cares where I am as long as I hand in the papers I'm supposed to write. Although it's kinda sad, because noone cares where I am.

Jimlad 42 and KookyKeronian like this.
  2. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Nirning =_=

Shocking surprise I skipped classes too, a lot, mainly because my higher school time was full of arrogant, abusive teachers, who dont have to follow the rules themselves.

In fact my pal there and I (the class clowns) once incited the entire class (except for 2 teacher-sycophants) to skip a day, as a response to the teacher punishing one of us unjustly.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  3. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Well, I'm only in high school and they care, along with what we call "Leerplicht" (It means "Compulsory education" but we also use it as a word for the collective instances that enforce it)
    They care a lot actually. Because if you don't go to school they'll have a little chat with you. And if you still don't come to school they'll have a chat with your parents. And if that fails they'll have a little chat with each other and then kick you off of school.
    This might become a problem if you get tuition support, because that debt can rack up fast. And if you don't get your paper at the end of a ten year period starting when you first get tuition support, it will stay a debt.
    (You have 10 years to get a paper, and then tuition support and the costs on your student public transportation card becomes a gift.)

4. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Yeah, back in school we had the same basically, we just called it "Schulpflicht" - can even be enforced by the police on paper, but they have enough things to do in the first place, so that's not done. Though expulsion was always an option, so my attendance in school was pretty good.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  5. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

If it becomes really bad and you're underage, Bureau Halt can step in to try get your stuph sorted. Basically think juvenile detention department of police, aimed less at locking you up and more at trying to change your ideas in life. Possibly community service.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  6. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Skipping a class only affects you. I don't get it when teachers complain to you about it. I don't want anything to do with teachers actually. not bacause I'm a bad person but because possibly getting bad grades from people you know is shamefull. I don't want any extra quilt.
    Now while not being on class is generally bad, there can be benefits. I still don't encourage it but you shouldn't fret too much if you miss a class.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  7. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

I'm guilty of it too. Skipping for either sickness, work that's more important at the time, or simply because I knew nothing would be happening in the class and didn't show/really didn't feel it that day.
    As long as it doesn't become a habit and you take care of anything you missed, I don't see much of an issue with it.

8. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I only actually skipped 1 class in school, and walked out of another.

I have a lot of bad days, but that day was the baddest of bad days.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  9. Charlatan

May we ask, what happened?

Ill open up for the first move - two pals and I once skipped quite a long time because a classmate and friend had drugs smuggled into his drink, he went onto the highway on a bike - incoming lane.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  10. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Bullies. They really pushed me over the edge on that day. I was in a crap mood anyway. Then one class they just annoyed me too much I just left and walked out of the school.

I missed the last 20 minutes of the class, my lunch break and the final lesson for the day, just cus I walked out.

The lesson I missed was PE, Or Gym, so to speak if you're American. Didn't like that anyway.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  11. Charlatan

For some stupid/fun contrast:
    I once had to skip a lesson because during break we were basically playing makeshift baseball with a bottle of water and random items, and launched a (how the hell is that even possible?) bread that got so stale and hard it blasted right through a window and hit a construction worker in the face - who promptly rushed over in rage. Guy was about 2 meters tall and broad, only muscles.

Jimlad 42 and Parrotte like this.
  12. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

coding again today! finally adding combat to the game

[​IMG]

oh no! a wiffle!

Jimlad 42, KookyKeronian and Lodish like this.
  13. Charlatan

What a fearsome beast ;)

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  14. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Bullying is such a widespread problem it seems that it makes me wonder why noone's brought up any ideas on how to fix it yet. The damage it does is known (you and I got away relatively easily it seems), but noone really proposes anything new that might work.

Jimlad 42 and MilkCalf like this.
  15. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

The only thing I had against bullying was to not exist at all. I made myself one or two close friends, and did not existed for the rest of the school.

It worked so far.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  16. Charlatan

Way to go.
    In terms of friends, its "quality over quantity" as they say ;)

Jimlad 42, Parrotte, Lodish and 2 others like this.
  17. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Word.

It's weird how society views bullying though. 50 years ago that wasn't an issue but we progressed far enough as a society that we can talk about the damages though. Now everyone and their mothers are completely against bullying, yet noone seems to fund research into the topic.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  18. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

Living by The Golden Rule works wonders. I just wish more people did it, things would be much simpler and easier for everyone involved.

Jimlad 42 and Surenu like this.
  19. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

True, but if humans operated 100% efficiency and logic every single moment we'd be on Mars by now I guess. We'd also not have any attack helicopters so the vast majority of my posts here would be 50% less interesting I guess.

I usually don't deal with that kind of contraband, but have a....
    *shudders*
    civilian helicopter:

[​IMG]

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  20. Charlatan

Wait the only golden rule I know is "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil."

Jimlad 42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.