1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Have they added a pause function yet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Hrexandro, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Hrexandro

Hrexandro Subatomic Cosmonaut

This was my major issue with the game and I won't play it until the pause function is there so I'm just curious.

2. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

No, however you can be invincible by typing /admin, where you can toggle it on and off by pressing P, as long as you haven't used any other commands.

Jonesy likes this.
  3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Or you could just straight up quit to the main menu. You will still be in the same exact spot when you start up again.

4. DukeLebowski

DukeLebowski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I usually put down a sleeping bag in a dirt cave. Feels cozy, and it doesn't deplete hunger.

5. Hrexandro

6. DukeLebowski

DukeLebowski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

7. lazarus78

Or... you are just being dismissive of perfectly valid options that achieve the same goal.

8. Hrexandro

Having to use console commands or exit the game just because such a basic thing as a pause function is absent from a game?

9. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

What's the problem with exiting the game? I'm not sure how it is for other people, but at least for me, I can go back and forth from the main menu extremely quickly.

10. lazarus78

Spending an extra second to click on one extra button? The horror!

I swear. More and more people complaining about something and getting bent out of shape when an equally valid alternative requires only a tiny bit more effort on their part...

Lintton and Iroaseta like this.
  11. Hrexandro

I swear. Not being able to quickly stop the game to reply to a messagee, look something up online or go check on the dinner cookin jsut because the devs didn't bother to add such a basic feature (if you can even call it a feature!) despite people asking for it since the very beginning, it's kind of a bummer, really. You might think it's not important, but it is for some.

Last time I checked it took surprisingly long. Maybe it's better now, but really, the inability to pause the game is so frustrating to me, I don't think installing it again is even worth it.

12. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

Please refrain from letting the door strike your posterior during your egress.

13. lazarus78

Many games don't have a pause function. Like, every mmo ever. All those survive games like Ark and Rust. Oh, and the most comparable game to starbound, terraria. So yeah. Hop off you high horse.

14. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Terraria does have a pause function, there's a setting that allows you to pause the game whenever you open your inventory.

Zanary likes this.
  15. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I think it could be useful for Starbound to have a pause function for single-player. Obviously it wouldn't work for multi-player.

16. lazarus78

Must have been added later. It want there last I played, which was a while ago.

17. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

It's been a feature for years now, I think it's disabled by default though. It's called "Autopause"

18. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

The issue @Hrexandro is that single or multiplayer both run on a server. Single player is constantly on a server on your computer, with it being opened in the option "multiplayer via steam", essentially meaning that really you are always on multiplayer and can't just stop the server function.

19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Escape key->save and quit.

Or get to somewhere safe, beam to the ship, wall yourself in with a sleeping bag. depending on the situation, its even easier if you are playing on casual.

Games such as these are all about working with what you have. Talking about how you're not going to install and other passive aggressive talk isn't exactly the same as playing Starbound either.

Littleman9Mew2 likes this.
  20. Hrexandro

Yeah, mmos don't have a pause function, know what? Neither do turn based strategies. Starbound is neither, I'm talking about playing a single player game.

"Working with what you have" shouldn't mean "work around things the developers didn't bother to do".

Yeah, I know that is the reason. I still think they should have "worked with what they have" and added a pause function.

It's amazing how people are defensive of this game, getting so worked up over someone pointing out that it should have a really basic function added to the point of denying that function should even be present at all.