Growing Villages

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by PurpleSquirel43, Nov 2, 2013.

?

How would villages expand?

1. You would build more houses for residents.

17.7%
  2. Villagers would build more houses for residents.

80.1%
  3. Villages wouldn't expand.

2.1%
  1. Pizzaaw

Pizzaaw Void-Bound Voyager

I would agree and disagree, since monsters spawns constantly and randomly and eventually villagers will died. I like what you thinking but what if your plan backfires?

2. GTG3000

GTG3000 Big Damn Hero

I like the idea, but it would really require a rework of villager AI/guard AI to acknowledge the sides of the village. And actual walls on both sides of the village to protect them.

3. crazygamer2255

crazygamer2255 Phantasmal Quasar

Here is how it should go, villages will slowly grow over time, but if you want you can step in and help, they (depending on how much you help) will grow allot faster, over time, you can become trusted with what would be the village leader, and you would have a say on how much it would grow, basically like the millionair mod for MC

4. Conor785

Conor785 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well i think that they should be self sufficient. They should have their own farms and quarries and anything mined could be turned by them into more buildings. They would have a limit of three times their original size and cannot break player blocks until they become hostile. You could sell blocks to specific npc's in every village and over time every in-game day they have a 50/50 chance of spawning a new npc in a free house. You should also be able to create houses and as long as they fill certain criteria (like in terraria) By walking up and talking to an npc you can ask them if they want to buy a house before clicking in said house. They would then offer you a price in pixels and if you say yes that building becomes part of the village

5. Trent

Trent Big Damn Hero

I would love to see villages grow or shrink in response to the player's actions.

I realize the foundation for this doesn't exist yet but imagine getting generated missions (maybe not formal accept/deny for xp stuff) where the player can go wipe out dangerous monsters or invading penguins. Perhaps the settlement could react to the player buying or selling from them. I would love to sell some NPCs a good quality seed and watch them plant fields of it.

6. Conor785

Conor785 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well getting random quests is planned and i just listed what i would like

7. telles0808

telles0808 Cosmic Narwhal

Svarr Chanston likes this.
  8. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

10/10 necro:
    Doesn't add anything to the op
    Promotes another thread on a very different topic
    plz

Battle Bee and SweFox like this.
  9. telles0808

telles0808 Cosmic Narwhal

Instead of making the same suggestion and improving it with my own, I decided to split my suggestion and link to this topic.

I think who is doing spam, and a useless post here is you, who did a post to talk nothing for nobody, with the only intent of demotivate and gank other users.

My suggestion have everything about Growing Village, also, it's answering the poll ("How would villages expand?") with a viable alternative of creating a children system.

The possibilities for this system is infinite, and will give to the player a deeper experience while Role Playing.

Maybe you should read things first, and think about your attitudes, because being rude with eachother is not a good manner.

10. SweFox

SweFox Guest

No, you made a thread, linked to this and bumped this. Why?

Battle Bee likes this.
  11. guntape

guntape Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds awesome lets cross our fingers this comes true:):badger::seriously::monkey::zombie:;):(:cookie::metroid::boo::fusrodah::mad::confused::halo::whaaat::pwease::idea::cool::mindwurm::chrono::proper::p:D:whoop::gooby::sarcasm::poptop::eek::oops::fireball::chucklefish::megusta::viking::rolleyes:o_O:virorb::V:geek::coffee::facepalm::rofl::DD:giggle::iswydt::zzz::koala::ninja::blank::laugh::lolwut::cautious::lod::notworthy::mspaint::poo::mwahaha::cry::meh::love:D::unsure::paper::up::rainbow::down::rock::barefeet::saywhat::alien::scissors::devil::X:ssssssssss::speechless::x:wut::sneaky::yeahhhh::yoda:X3:whistle::catface::catface2::raccoon::redpanda::badpokerface::wtf::sparta:

12. Scorchcast

Scorchcast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well I know this wasn't part of the suggestion, but I like the idea so you got my vote. But could this possibly play into building degradation if you finally decide to destroy the village? With no people, no upkeep, meaning it turns into a ghost town which eventually falls into disarray and looks creepy, the lights go out or in this case fall off, the buildings fall apart and different things happen over time, that would be very interesting, as it stands I have to make look everything look creepy all on my own. :(

13. Meese

Meese Aquatic Astronaut

It would be better if you had to give them resources or help defend against a wave of monsters while they are constructing

14. PabloKarlsson

PabloKarlsson Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps we could be able to plan what villagers would build? And then see them building it :D. What I mean is that we could place model buildings that are built by the villagers. Or perhaps we use paterns like finnished rooms and roofs and place those finnished structures for villagers to build. :D

Mogg likes this.
  15. Mogg

Mogg Pangalactic Porcupine

This is an old thread. While nice idea would kinda make my plans for terrafroming a planet into one huge city (the whole planet being the city) rather difficult.
    BUT. If there was no limit to how big their expansion would be I could just mow down all the blocks up to the planet core and let the villagers build the epic city for me. Though that would not allow much creativity on my part.