1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Grappling Hook!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Cynical_Wolf, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Combine_Kegan

Combine_Kegan Phantasmal Quasar

Man it's awesome to see it's got sprites now. Is it gonna do anything to NPCs/other players or will there be other tools to do that job?

2. I like the mechanics, are more realistic, only needs to tweak the art of the rope itself to be interesting, or maybe one animation of "dirt" when it moves towards blocks :lolwut:

3. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

Looks great!

As long as we can keep the inevitable SNK comparisons to a minimum, we should be okay.

4. Combine_Kegan

SNK? The arcade guys?

5. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

There are worse things to reference :p

6. 70calories

70calories Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wonder if the grappling hook is a single two-handed item or a single one-handed item you can duel wield cause I'd really like to hold a grapple in one hand and a gun in the other and rappell down the side of a building all Rambo shooting though the windows.

Hebephryo likes this.
  7. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

That would be amazing.

8. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

It looks like its one handed, since that other pic has him duel wielding grappling hooks.

I also assume it'll be like terraria where you get multiple kinds of grappling hooks. I hope they make it work as well though. I really liked how in Terraria you could just press E to use your grapple hook, regardless of where it was in your inventory

9. Spike

Spike Supernova

It might be cool if we can upgrade it later, so that it causes damage to enemies, and embed itself in mobs, and depending on the mob's size, the grappling hook could pull the mob over to us, or vice versa. That would be amazing, but I think it might be a bit early to plan for that.

MrLevi and Miss Andry like this.
  10. 70calories

[​IMG]

MrLevi likes this.
  11. Spike

Spike Supernova

I was actually thinking about attack on titan, but yes, scorpion is also from a game/show that I've never watched, but wanted for starbound to make a weapon similar to theirs.

12. 70calories

haha yeah but the first thing that came to mind when I read your post was "GET OVER HERE!" :rofl:

13. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

[​IMG]

14. 70calories

oh you make me happy so so very happy :love:

15. Combine_Kegan

Oh my. I love the red stripes on that wire. You're really letting that Umihara Kawase influence shine through

16. primitiveType

primitiveType Void-Bound Voyager

Man, I still remember the original update where you explained the implementation. I really loved that update, and all of the other technical ones. It's awesome to see this coming to life after hearing about all the work you put into it!

17. Spike

Spike Supernova

Though I kinda wish I could still wield a weapon whilst using twin hooks. Terraria allowed us to do that with the triple grappling hook, so....

Miss Andry likes this.
  18. 70calories

he could always add a grapple hook harness as a tech thingy to allow you to shoot two while still holding onto a weapon or something like that lol

Miss Andry likes this.
  19. Combine_Kegan

Or maybe you can switch to other weapons while dangling on a wire.

70calories and Miss Andry like this.
  20. aerionop

aerionop Big Damn Hero

Consider a better endpoint graphic? the hooks just look fugly, especially since you can't change their orientation (as far as I see it). A simple magnet-like apparatus would look much better.
    A slight right/left-hand-based glow on the end, as well as proper shading on the rope (bright line going out from an almost pitch-black cave... meh).
    [​IMG]

Miss Andry likes this.