1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Glitch Ship AI Feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Izzabelle, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Do you like the Glitch Ship AI?

1. No, I really really dislike it

156 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Yes

47 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Yes, I really really like it

121 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. I am indifferent

46 vote(s)
    10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XsnakeX51

XsnakeX51 Void-Bound Voyager

Sure, but don't discount the people who actually agree with them. Bandwagoning a bandwagoned issue is as effective as fighting fire with fire.

2. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

No one is discounting you because of a bunch of loud angry posters.

Tell that to people who fight forest fires.

ObsidianDragon13 likes this.
  3. There is also an even smaller group of people who literally are made of evil and cancer. Who simply post the most insanely negative and false things possible -- just because they want to see tempers flare and people attack each other.

4. XsnakeX51

The thing is the same could be said for the "positive side" as well. Everything has its polar opposite.

5. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

Uh actually, I'm only evil and cancer on my grandfather's side. I'm only 25% evil and cancer.

Serenity likes this.
  6. ObsidianDragon13

ObsidianDragon13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ah the buttkissers :rofl: you dont see them nearly as much however.

Serenity and yclatious like this.
  7. PartyAlarm

PartyAlarm A "Cool" "Good" poster.

No it cannot. It really, really can't. Those posts are thankfully outside of this forum, though

8. Eonwe

Eonwe Macho Man

It is a lot harder to break the rules by being positive. That is the difference.

I get accused of censoring people by leaving positive low content posts, and deleting the negative. The difference is, nobody leaves feeling bad because they've seen someone say "YAY NEW UPDATE", but if they see "**** U CHUKLEDUNCES GIVE UPDATE" then they leave not feeling great about the community.

Is it fair? Up to you to decide, but that is the way things are.

9. DraconX

DraconX Subatomic Cosmonaut

People just don't like glitch AI(around 50% from poll).
    I wonder what would be result if steam users could vote here. (Most of people don't want to make account anywhere)

10. We are all definitely getting a little off topic though -- so to rest a point;

The devs are not ignoring feedback. Especially from this thread. They've chosen to remain mum on this subject is all.

I can't speak as to whether or not they'll do something about the AI or if they'll leave it though. Up to them.

11. XsnakeX51

Because no one is blamed for being ignorant or a kiss ass. Thats practically a given.

There can literally be dozens of lines drawn about what constitutes a group in a community but the fact remains if you do not tolerate the whole then youre not really a community are you? I cannot stress that enough.

UncleWalrus likes this.
  12. Eonwe

Eonwe Macho Man

Agreed with Izzy (can I call you Izzy?), if anyone wants to talk more feel free to PM me. Just try to understand that we are doing the best we can for the community.

Sneaky Edit: I'm in your posts, editing your words. (yes, you can call me izzy) @Eonwe

Finn Learson and Izzabelle like this.
  13. corrosivechains

corrosivechains Master Chief

I think what was meant by "positive side" in this case wasn't so much people who say positive things, but those who'll jump at the chance to argue with someone who posits any form of criticism, whether it's constructive or destructive.

At this point on topic though I'm just hoping they give us choices. Some people clearly like the AI, others don't so much. The option to choose our AI's would then give those of us who don't like it the ability to choose something else, and for those who do like it not to have to strictly play as a Glitch for it.

14. ObsidianDragon13

ObsidianDragon13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

agreed then this whole situation will just melt away.

15. Rigley

Rigley Void-Bound Voyager

(Didn't read through the entire thread 'cause 45 pages, whoa!)

As someone who's planning on mainly playing Glitch I don't really like the AI. I think it's a bit too goofy in comparison to the other races which just feels a bit uneven; the other races all get what looks to be a sensible AI, and while the floran one is probably going to be a bit erratic at least that'd make sense. The glitch AI is just kinda peculiar to me and stands out. Maybe if they were all equally silly that'd be more understandable, but its the odd man out of the group.

That being said, I do think some of the ideas that might have lead towards the current AI were nifty. I don't know if it's the concrete reasoning, but I know I saw a post somewhere on here a while back that rationalized the decision somewhat-- Horses are the equated animal of transport for a medieval group, and ships generally had female names. I like that symbolism, buuut...

The glitch we see riding horses aren't riding actual horses, but robotic horses. Why not have the AI be a mechanical horse to match? Or even a statue. In fact part of me had the thought that it'd be neat if it resembled a knight chesspiece, but that's kinda an aside. I also think it'd help if the chest was less 'defined breasts' and more maybe a chest bump to give the idea of a female figure rather than just having knockers on them. >>
    (as a side note it could be convenient to use variations of horses like that, since that means you could just 'reskin' the different expressions already made up, just using a different 'skin'.)

It's probably already been suggested but I think the best solution would be to have a few selectable choices for AI displays. Perhaps you start out with a glitched out (no pun intended) AI that doesn't show a proper representation (as in, just static), and later get to choose what your AI will look like once you've repaired your ship. Or just pick it starting out, however it'd be best implemented. Peeerhaps even unlock different AIs by building stuff?

No clue what'd be best, but choices are always good and in this case it'd certainly fix up the debate. People who like the horseface can use that, people who don't can choose another.

16. I don't blame you, it's a crazy read. Just so everyone knows though, I plan on making a summary of points, solutions, compromises, etc etc -- after the thread has finally run it's course.

17. Rhotus

Rhotus Void-Bound Voyager

Really, the design of Horseboobs doesn't bother me so much as how you can tell how much more effort was put into it than the Human, Floran, and Avian AIs.

Why not have a tech chip system where you can unlock other interfaces? It'll be more work, but I think the best way to make people happy is to have 2-3 standard AIs to choose from at the beginning, and have more unlockable from adventuring. The option to use a either a glitch page or Horseboobs from the get go would satisfy both parties, don't you think?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  18. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

Oh, forgot to add my vote even though I added my opinion. Or maybe that was a different thread.

Basically, I'm not playing Glitch as long as I'm forced to use that monstrosity.

I suggested a brain in a jar (because that would represent certain Glitch skulls), and others have suggested other hings. Just... not this.

19. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

?
    I don't think Starbound was ever intended to be a 100% serious space game. Sure, there are serious aspects, but a large amount of it is plain campy fun, and a lot of the lore that @Razey and I have written reflects that.

20. Eonwe

Eonwe Macho Man

Canon update from a huge nerd (Demanrisu), lay some lore on us Deman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.