1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

General help with orientation for buying a personal NAS to host a starbound server.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Zarathes, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Zarathes

Zarathes Master Chief

With the nearing release of Starbound beta somewhere this year I've been looking for a way to host a small server for about 5-10 man.
    I can't do this on my desktop pc because that would consume way too much electricity so I'm thinking about purchasing a personal NAS for hosting and personal use (I’m a software engineering student, so I program websites and stuff.
    Perhaps also a database) without my electricity bill exploding.

I thought this would be a nice place to ask because I bet there are more of you out there with similar thoughts or more experience with the NAS technology.
    So is there someone out there that can point me in the right direction or documentation involving orientation/ purchase and setting up a server.

I'm also interested in running servers for games like Minecraft, Terraria or Cube World so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

If this thread is in the wrong place, I'm sorry.

Edit: Broken fonds everywhere.

2. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Ah... Sorry. I couldn't tell you anything you couldn't find with a google search.

Good luck though! Let us know how it goes, maybe I'll even join the server when it launches :)

3. Loxy

Loxy Pangalactic Porcupine

Too much electricity? care to elaborate.

All we know is that starbound doesnt require much itself to run, so a server for 5 people wouldnt require much at all.

Think Terraria :)

4. Zarathes

Zarathes Master Chief

Okey, I'll be abit more specific: Things to look for on the world wide web that help me pick the right NAS to buy ;)

5. Zarathes

Zarathes Master Chief

Well I'm a student living alone and I have to pay for gas, water and electricity.
    I also run a heavy rig for programming and gaming about 8 to 10 hours a day.
    So I am afraid I'll wasting too much money on electricity if I keep that pc running 24/7, for I still have to be able to buy games! :p

6. Lila

Lila Phantasmal Quasar

NAS is the wrong term to search for. nas devices are for networked file storage, and generally only possess a tiny bit of processing power using some cpu architecture that starbound won't even run on. Unless you can somehow get the sourcecode for starbound and recompile it for some random motorola processor or whatever.

You need something with either an intel or amd proccessor. An old laptop would work and be pretty low power, or if you are looking for one of those little book sized computers here is a good start: http://www.newegg.com/Mini-Booksize-Barebone-Systems/SubCategory/ID-309

Zarathes and Jonesy like this.
  7. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

While we're here, I've got some questions too.

Would hosting a server for 24 hours generally lag my internet? I ask because I live with roomates but I would like to make a Starbound server for my friends and I don't want my roomates to all suddenly get terrible internet forever.

8. Lila

Lila Phantasmal Quasar

Depends on where you live and your specific internet connection, but in almost all cases no it will have no effect. If you live somewhere where your bandwidth per month is limited, keep that in mind. Also realize it has zero impact on your internet when no one is online on the server.

Check your connection http://www.speedtest.net/ Pay closer attention to upload speeds then download.

Miss Andry likes this.
  9. Miss Andry

Miss Andry Cosmic Narwhal

sweet, thanks a bunch for lettin me know. I feel more confident about making my own server.

10. wraithbone

wraithbone Pangalactic Porcupine

You are very much correct. A friends workplace was selling off their old laptops for next to nothing. Average to poor specs, but enough to run terraria. So I now host a 2~6 player terraria server on it. It lives next to my router screen off and battery out. Just silently running the server 24/7.

Look for places that sell ex-lease/insurance claimed/liquidated PCs.
    I mean right now I am looking at a AMD Athlon II 2.6GHz, 8GB Ram, 1.5TB HDD, Gigabit ethernet, DVD Drive for $80. Its got no OS but the same guys are selling some legit copies of Win 8 Pro whose boxes are a bit smoke damaged for $120.

11. Zarathes

Zarathes Master Chief

Say, if i were to buy a pre-configured barebone pc, how different is that in comparison to like a old laptop?
    From what I have read pre-configured barebone computers usually come with no hard disc for storage so also no operating system.
    Would that mean I have to use a separate and external hard disc ready with a booting partition?

PS. I am not talking about peripherals such as a keyboard, mouse and monitor.

12. Calris

Calris Existential Complex

Quick question - we still don't know the required specs for SB, do we? I would have thought this would be a better conversation to have when those specs have been nailed down.

13. Zarathes

Zarathes Master Chief

True, but to not succum to my impatiance I'd like to go ahead and try this on games like Minecraft, Terraria(epic content patch coming 1 Oktober) or Cube World. Besides if it would run minecraft than SB would run as well I think.

14. Skudge

Skudge Void-Bound Voyager

my advice? don't put the cart in front of the horse.

Wait for full game specs then go from there.

Stylµs likes this.