1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game is broken

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by GyrFalco, Jul 23, 2016.

1. GyrFalco

GyrFalco Void-Bound Voyager

Dear Developers,

I'm so fucking frustrated by now. I have waited years of development on this game, I have coped with the fucking character wipes that you kept promising that wouldn't happen. I even gave feedback on steam forums hoping I could help with something.
    NOW, FINALLY, on official "full" release, with banners all over steam celebrating "launch into orbit" you release a game that DOESN'T even start for HUNDREDS of people!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!

YES, I have SP1, YES I have reinstalled the game after deleting the whole Starbound folder, YES I have tried to start by the win64 folder, YES I have tried to reinstall both c++ visual versions on the folders, the universal one, even older versions of it, even tried to download the dll and every fucking stupid suggestion on Steam forums, reddit and this forum. AND IT DOESN'T WORK.

I can run The Witcher 3 smoothly, Arma 3, Star Citizen, but not STARBOUND?

Now, can you stop pretending the problem is in our end and fix your fucking game? I'm frustrated and tried everything for two days. I feel wronged and lied to when you state your game is fully released. I can't possible believe that a game that was supposed to be on beta test for YEARS didn't detect that it wouldn't even load for so many people.

WHEN are you going to have this fixed? Is this going to take years to fix too?

PS: I read the forum rules and this is nothing compared on how I would react on real world if I bought a product like Starbound. I am being extremely polite.

Thank you kindly,
    A HUGE fucking fan of Chucklefish

Valhi likes this.
  2. CptPonk

CptPonk Space Hobo

Your post contains no value or information aside from saying the game doesn't work.
    This is gonna make it pretty hard for anyone to help you.
    Just saying.

Hel likes this.
  3. Valhi

Valhi Master Chief

Honestly? I have to agree with GyrFalco. We've been dealing with Chucklefish for so long. We've been waiting for fixes, patches and repairs to the game. We've been waiting for the game we all paid for to finally come out, and be what it was supposed to be. I myself am still trying to get the game to be playable, the framerate is terrible. : /

MollyGos do you know if there's anyone in the offices right now trying to work on this? Or is everyone on break? I really need to know.

Chucklefish, please help.

onel13hl likes this.
  4. Grizzleface

Grizzleface Void-Bound Voyager

Totally with Gyrfalco. CptPonk you are clueless. Anyone with the problem knows exactly what GyrFalco is talking about. He has provided all the details. The devs should totally be aware of exactly what he is talking about. No one cares that you don't know CptPonk. Thye need to fix this shit. People have been waiting years for this. Momst have supported this game from the start. I'd like them to make some fucking effort to let is know what's going on. Every other game works find, except Starbound. How the fuck can it be our fault.

Valhi and onel13hl like this.
  5. Ningustus

Ningustus Void-Bound Voyager

I wish they would just tell us that they're working to fix it. I don't need the solution to be here right now sure I'm bummed but the thing that's driving me nuts is the fact that I have no idea when they're going to attempt fixing this. I can open and "play" the game but there are moments where the lag makes it unplayable which never used to happen and after awhile my character that I worked on a tip toed around the horrendous lag with was deleted after the game had stopped responding... fun.

Valhi likes this.
  6. tenchi24

tenchi24 Intergalactic Tourist

It does seem ridiculous that they could actually release it like this and go off for the weekend, what game ever launches 100% smoothly and autonomously. They must be losing significant amounts of money on this as well, It seems to be unfix able for the people with W7 I have done literally everything posted everywhere, even manually installing windows updates, SDKs and installing Visual studio run-times in safe mode. Only thing I haven't done is reinstall W7/upgrade to 10. I refuse to do that for a game that can be run in openGL. I know they probably were relieved to get 1.0 out the door, but the lack of communication does make me feel like getting a refund.

7. GyrFalco

Yet another day goes by and the developers refuse to say anything. I had to post a negative review and report the product on Steam. I guess if enough people report it on steam they will be forced to remove the game from being fully released and make it Early Access (like with Day Z and other games) again because we know it doesn't work the way it is now. All you have to do is go to Starbound store page and click on the flag icon ironically on top of the Award "2013 Indie of the Year" (2013 LOL I guess 3 years wasn't enough beta testing to detect these problems). Then you select Broken and explain how you tried everything and the game still doesn't work even though your pc is above the requirements.

8. CptPonk

CptPonk Space Hobo

I have over 250hours into starbound over the years, I changed OS, Hardware and even location.
    And I always got it to run, so no, I'm not clueless.

It just got released, there are issues after all and as long they fix the worst issues within a week or so its fine.
    If they don't fix it soon(TM) I'm with you, after releasing a game from early access it should be playable after all ;)
    But until then play the waiting game for just one or two weeks.
    And as I said, when all you do is say: "It doesn't work" nobody can help you.

9. GyrFalco

It worked for you? The game is fully functional for everyone - confirmed.

Yeah years of early access and beta testing wasn't enough for detecting a huge and wide problem for hundreds if not thousands of users. You're 100% right, we just have to sit quiet and play the waiting game, Chucklefish is known for efficiency and fast working.

And once again youre completely correct sir, I did not list and state everything that I have tried and that many other users have also tried every single possible fix. All I did was say "it doesn't work". You are one genius of a human being, sir. Thank you for solving all our problems while looking so smart at the same time.

10. CptPonk

CptPonk Space Hobo

Good to know, Im always happy to help.
    It doesn't matter what I say, you are stuck in your way of thinking that a game at release must be 100% for everyone, no matter how small the company.
    And you know what?
    Im going to play Starbound right now.

Dieselpirat likes this.
  11. tenchi24

tenchi24 Intergalactic Tourist

Bet you wouldn't be all sarcastic if It wasn't working for you as well. This is a widespread problem and the fact its happening at release makes it even more important for the devs have some sort of communication, they're losing money and getting bad reviews.

12. sanydas

sanydas Void-Bound Voyager

13. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

There is no need to be dramatic - how do you expect developers to fix an issue if you do not give specifics on what the issue is?
    That is like going to the police and the only thing you tell them is , "Oh my god I hate you Police, I have a problem"

It does not help them or you - just to write a rant - nor will they bother reading it as other users have provided in detail what the issue is.
    After all - if you were on the other side of the fence when dealing with tens of thousands of people. Would you listen to the ones providing useful information on the issue or those who simply go off the rails?
    Sorry for being harsh on you but you need to realize what you are doing in order to not do it in other places in the future.

You mention so many different games - are you saying none of those games have any users in their support section not asking why their game does not work?
    Computers are not consoles - where all hardware is standardized. If it was life would be easy - if something does not work - it does not work for everyone.
    Computers on the other hand are a massive collection of thousands of variables with millions of results.
    From hundreds of varying hardware components to thousands of potential software dependencies - you get a few million variables.

Which is why every game - you have mentioned there will always be some one filing a report they can't get the game to work.
    I know no one wants to be that "some one" - but if you want to get the issue fixed fast and smoothly the best option is always ( 100% of the time ) - to provide exactly what error is - and provide as much details as possible of all related issues.

I suggest trying to make a new thread with all these things in mind.

Ainzoal and Buxx like this.
  14. GyrFalco

If you are trying to make me laugh you certainly succeeded. Let's go over the ridiculous things you've said:

You compared going to the POLICE on real life when I bought a product? Am I going to the virtual law-enforcement? Rofl of course not. Now let me show you a real comparison and please point out if there is absolutely anything wrong in it. I bought a product half-finished to help finish the development of said product. After unreasonable YEARS of development (did you know the witcher 3 took 3.5 years of development from scratch? And Terraria took 4 months to be released on the first build?) I recieve a product that doesn't work, EVEN THOUGH I have all the requirements that the product states I need for said product to work. Now do you think the best comparison is going to the police like you said and telling them "Oh my god I hate you Police, I have a problem" OR going to the company who made the product and DEMANDING the product to work (or the money back) because their product is pure garbage and that they have to realize the problem is on the product and not on the hundreds/thousands of people with the very same unsolved problem?
    Of course going to the police and doing like you said is ridiculous, isn't it? Now, going to the company to made a broken product is much more reasonable and fit the exact situation, doesn't it?

It's funny that you as a mod doesn't even understand the importance of the consumer's opinion even when they are ranting and unhappy with a broken product. It's even worse when you as a mod say that they won't listen to me. Doesn't Chucklefish image gets better and better by the minute?
    And I gave really valuable information, in case you didn't notice, the FIXES DON'T WORK ON THE STILL HUNDREDS COMPLAINING ON THE FORUMS. Even though our computers are above the requirements for the product.
    And you bet your ass I would listen and try to help as much as possible and even apologize for the consumers who bought my product and are unhappy "going off the rails" as you said. Im beginning to think you have no idea how the market works or that you even work at all.

YES I DID mention other games! And you know what, thats a great idea, let's compare the number of people asking on their steam forums that the "game doesn't work"!!! That way you can really feel embarrassed by real number, don't you love factual data?
    The Witcher 3:
    Page 2 the topic: Getting "The Witcher 3 has stopped working" 1-3 minutes after starting to play
    Page 4 the topic: The witcher 3 doesn't start. Turned out it was the guy's computer program causing conflict, it was a Trusteer Rapport by IBM.
    Page 5 the topic: Witcher 3 not launching!!!!! Turned out the guy bought the product from a scammy website and his game was locked.
    Page 9 the topic: witcher 3 does not start
    So those are 10 pages of steam forum and thats the number of problems with the game not working.

NOW let's do the same for Starbound!! But I'll do it only for the topics of the LAST HOUR lol.
    Fatal Exception caught: (ApplicationException) Application: Could not create SDL window:
    FPS drops/freezes
    So.. I cant play the game i payed for?
    OpenGL 2.0 not found bug
    HELP PLEASE
    Mods deleting my post?
    Access Violation Detected
    instant CTD!
    I want to play
    STARBOUND still not working
    and my favorite of all: 1.0 Doesn't even start (494 POSTS)
    That was in 1 hour ROFL

But then you'd think Starbound had much much less development time and much less beta testing than The Witcher 3, specially because The Witcher 3 is a much heavier game on the computer, right?
    Oh no... Wait... Embarrassing, isn't it?

So don'tcome to me telling the developers don't have dtailed information.The devs know pretty well this fucking problem since they HAD IT IN THE PAST and stopped using visual c++ because of these very same problems.

15. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

I tried to explain to you that - the best way to get help is to provide details which are helpful in order to diagnose the problem.
    Yet it did not seem to come across.

As this thread provides no useful details in helping solving the issue, I am locking the thread.
    Feel free to make an actual thread - with the exact error and details pertaining to it in the future.

Support thread is only for users who wish to report bugs in order to help fix existing issues.

Ainzoal likes this.
  16. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

@GyrFalco As The Suit said, this place is for Support to help fix your problem with Starbound. However, you have not posted anything about the problem. Other than "It Doesn't Work".

If you want us to help with your problem you need to provide details, Is there an error message when you try to load the game? Upload your recent Starbound log file? Me nor any other member cannot attempt to fix a problem without no information.

I will reopen the topic. If you continue to carry on like this this will be closed again.

17. Valhi

Valhi Master Chief

I suppose my question are to where the developers are or what they are doing at the moment is irrelevant then? If so, where would be the most suitable place to post them and who should I ask?
    I want a response, and I think many others do as well.