1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Creation

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SUPERBOY, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

Hey guys!
    If anybody knows where Starbound is created (ex. XNA game studio, Visual studio, Gamemaker) please tell me. I already know it is made using C++ but I am curious on WHERE. Also what is used for making the sprites?

- SUPERBOY

2. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

So your asking where the team is located? Like mojang is in sweden? If that's the question than, here's the answer: The team is located all over the place. Tiy is from london (I'm pretty sure) and there's others in the US and more in the UK.
    If the question is what's the team making starbound, than the answer is: It's made by Chucklefish, and this is they're first game ever.

Hope I helped. ;)

3. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

Thanks but i was wondering what platform the GAME is made in/on. Look at the examples. Like i said i already know it is made using the c++ language. This might be a question that only the devs can answer.
    Get what i mean?:)

- SUPERBOY

4. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

No he means what type of game creation they use, I think it's C++ but I could be wrong.

5. Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie Cosmic Narwhal

That's probably something you'd need to ask the Devs directly, I don't think anyone here would know. I know I sure as hell don't know, I know nothing about making games. :rofl:

6. Greatgreen

Greatgreen Tentacle Wrangler

The term you are looking for is IDE (Integrated Development Environment)

Based on my limited knowledge of those environments, it won't be XNA or Visual Studio, as that would make the game harder to ship on MacOS and Linux - which they have stated that they intend to do on launch. Gamemaker is a possibility, but I don't know very much about that one.

7. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

Thanks!
    I knew it was I (something) i just couldn't think of the name.:rofl:

- SUPERBOY

8. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

Anything on sprite creation?

9. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

Yeah, the IDE's they use differ from coder to coder, I think one of them may use Dev C++ though.

With sprites, the only thing you need in your software is a palette, pencil and fill tool, also, alpha channels. So really they could be using anything from paint (while using something else to then give the image alpha) to photoshop.

If you're asking this to get into game development, I recommend you start with something like Stencyl, YoYo's Game Maker or if you feel up to diving straight into code, XNA. the first 2 are nice baby steps into game development, and offer some nice (free might I add) tools for spriting and coding and the latter is quite a big step, but not as big as jumping straight into C++, because you have to learn basic coding logic before anything, coding only command line programs.

As for sprites, try Paint.net its basically a Microsoft Paint 2.0.

10. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

Thanks! I am actually a beginner C++ programmer so I'm going to try Dev C++.

11. Zolon

Zolon Big Damn Hero

I used Dev C++ Back when I was in University. I loved it, it's an excellent program. :)

12. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Oh, ok. I have no idea. Sorry. :/

13. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

Does anyone know where i can contact the devs?

14. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Sometimes they're on the IRC chat. But the best place would probably be twitter.

15. ViewedCloth

ViewedCloth Zeromus

16. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

17. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Dev-C++ is ok, but it's very dated. Code::Blocks seems more recent (I've never used it though, so I don't actually know).

Both kyren and I use vim, if that's what you're asking.

18. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

Thanks!

19. deebee396

deebee396 Aquatic Astronaut

I think I saw somewhere that SDL is being used with OpenGL, but I may be wrong.

20. SUPERBOY

SUPERBOY Space Spelunker

Are you using SDL and OpenGL? Just one of them? Or neither of them.
    Sorry if I'm asking to much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.