Foresight is 20/20

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Analogjacket, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Analogjacket

Analogjacket Aquatic Astronaut

Okay, so I realize that the way most forums work is that before anyone pays much attention to you, you need to have basically been posting things for a while, but I'm hoping that as someone who pre-ordered and has been playing since I can have a bit of a until-recently-silent-elder status and the fact that my first post is also a long post will be forgiven. With that said, I'm sure that if your here your wondering what my mechanical suggestion is. Well, you see, It's actually a suggestion based on the entirety of the game.

DISCLOSURE: Yes, I understand that SB is still in a Beta of sorts. These suggestions I'm about to list and the comments I will make supporting each of them do not stem from some kind of ignorance that SB is still a work in progress.

With that said allow me to give some backstory. I hope you'll bear w/ me because everything I'll get to has a valid reason. So, recently me and a pal spent an entire day playing the most recent update (as according to the date of this post) of Starbound. Sufficient to say, we weren't pleased w/ both the games current status and it's apparent direction. When we finally called it quits we began to go through what made our experience so...undesirable. I decided to compound everything we said into a list and then refine it, giving solutions to each problem that way it wasn't just a list of complaints. Now, this is all opined based obviously so If you don't agree please tell me what you would prefer and If you do like this post tell me what you liked about it.

At the moment I feel that SB is a game that is suffering from Quantity over Quality. This dosent mean the game is bad but it does mean that while there is tons to explore and a lot to do in SB, overall, none of these things are high in the quality of "fun" they provide. This, in short, makes the game feel like a chore list that you slowly check of than an actual engaging adventure full of wonder and discovery. Here's what we thought could be done to fix it.

UPDATE: So I posted this a three or four days after I finished typing it up due to the holiday. As of the 27th of Nov. SB now has an unstable patch that tweaks a lot of things including weapons (something about how they work) and armour (you can now dye it). I, however haven't made too many changes to this post because A: I'm not sure if these updates are like anything I suggested and B: Even If they are I feel that a lot of what I've suggested is still relevant. Starbound shares many similarities with Terraria but one that I feel definitely needs to become alike is just how fast progression is and how unique the world is. Planets are fairly boring in Starbound and while Terraria and Starbound have equally fast progression SB has so much less that it more so feels like your getting rid of of stuff. I played some today w/ a new character (12/2/15) and I literally had the anvil for about an hour and used it for one armour set, not even the weapons, before throwing it away for the Metal Working Station.

• Product Progression
    Okay, so what I mean by this is how, when, where and what you get items first and how all of this effects the sense of progression in the game so lets begin. So this one come in layers but I'll start with the easiest to explain and make my way down.

• To put it simply: Utility Armour
    I think that a third kind of armour slot should be added entitled "Utility Armour". The reason for this stems from the Nano-Suits vs. Environment Armour. To put it simply, while some great stuff has come from the nano-suits (like an obvious and thus easier to understand organization of planetary bodies. I.e.e. Radiated planets orbit radiated stars) in the end the "suits" are boring. Yes, they let you explore new environments but they add nothing to you in a more literal sense. They also immediately reinforce the notion that we, the players, will never get to explore environments that are a mixture of environments like something akin to a radiated oxygen-less moon or a radiated freezing planet or a volcanic oxygen-less planet (yes, I know that's a bit of a paradox but its awesome) and what not. Nano armour also means that all the really cool assets like the space-suit and the Bio-Hazard suits are reduced to only being used in the "fashion" armour slot. If we had Utility armour instead of nano-suits, a lot more doors would be opened up. First of all, it would make the crafting system a bit more robust since one would have to gather resources to create the proper armour instead of just being given a "suit" to survive in a new place. It would give purpose to a lot of previously aesthetic based gear. This would too make the progression of gear feel a bit more rewarding and natural. I'd love to be able to visit freezing planets by just creating the arctic gear. It gives the player the feeling that they have more initiative instead of just following a pre-ordained path of checking boxes.

• Give me more: Armour
    So, to kinda reference past content, one thing that I'd love to see again that was highly enjoyable was armour crafting, specifically, the kind of tier like system they had and the kind of upgrading system you had to do to before you got to the next tier that in involved you using your old gear to make something in between what you already had and what you were soon to obtain. To state the obvious benefit of returning to this is the more natural feeling progression. Instead of just throwing out your armour every time you began to move up your armour moved up with you. Also, while it becomes more common with later game gear, I'd love to see more class based gear earlier on ( like armour that makes you slower or faster at the cost of how much resistance it provides). This means that players will have more in depth decision making besides simply changing what material their armour is made out of. And similarly how we find random weapons from chest what if we found random pieces of cool (even if they're only cool in appearance), non-craftable armour (Not of the "fashion" category). Also, every races armour gives them a little bonus. I personally think said bonus should be race inherent, not armour based but we'll get to that. In it's place armour should have some more...apparent bonuses. Think something like a heavy armour variant that slowly destroys blocks as you run into them, or a fall dmg canceling one, or one that cancels out and explodes with a damaging wave once it's gathered enough energy, or even a med-armour that lets you climb wall (similar to the spike gloves from Terraria). Note: My main point here is returning to the armour tier system where if you wanted to move to the next tier you would need your current armour and a new ore to craft a kind of inbetween armour (and pickaxe). I realize it's hard to make entire armour sets, especially when the people asking for them are just saying "give me more" but I'll come to the reason why it won't be that hard shortly. Please, read on.

• Give me less: Weapons
    Okay, I realize that infinite random weapons is one of the selling points but it honestly detracts from the game-play waaaay to much. I love finding loot on planets but in truth, most of it's crap and when it's not I then have to spend ten minutes or so looking through the few decent weapons I have and comparing stats. It's boring, slows downs the action, and is unnecessarily time consuming. The majority of these weapons are same-y and lack their own character. The best way in my head to fix this is by giving player more and varied weapons that are craftable and then too providing better balanced and characterized random loot ( for instance, environmental themed weapons. You can find Flame weapons on volcanic worlds and all that jazz. Not every weapon needs elemental dmg or be super strong, or huge but they can't all be the same boring spears and rakes and crappy, rusted, axes.) I know that it's hard to make weapon sets too but again, please read on. In the end, the weapons need something that makes you wan't to keep it (and this includes guns obviously), that makes it feel like "yours". And speaking of making things feel like yours...

• Customization
    Boom. This is what will make it a lot easier to have more armour and weapon sets. You (the developers) won't be making them but we (the players) will be. To put it simply, Starbound should take a page out of Fallout 4 and include the ability to really turn armour and weapons into the player's armour and weapons via upgrading and even perhaps painting/dyeing pieces. I've been kinda leading up to this with the last two sections but if we could make our own weapons and armours via scrapping other pieces and then could name them, it would give so much new meaning and purpose to the gear we find and/or buy. Imagine finding a really cool looking sword but it dosent have great stats so you take it to your de-crafting station. There you have the choice of de-crafting it into it's mold (shape), it's folding (like how many times the metal is folded to strengthen it, or, in short, it's stats), or it's affect (so any additional dmg like fire or energy in the case of weapons and set armour bonuses for armour), so you pick it;s mold, find a couple of other weapons to fill out the other two slots, name it, and BAM, custom weapon. Same thing goes for armour. And if you could reinforce/upgrade you custom gear so you can continue using it would make it all the sweeter. Also, with a higher level custom item crafting station you should be able to mix weapons like a sword and spear hybrid that has the reach of a spear but the swing arch of a sword or (which would be the coolest freaking thing ever forever) A gun spear. A spear that has an alt-fire mode (right click) that fires a gun barrel that's attached to it. Pure Awesomeness

• Tech Toggle and Gain
    At the moment the way you gain and trade out tech is boring. Similar to my complaint about Nano-suits it lacks the ability to give player a sense of accomplishment. Now, i'm not saying we should return to forcing players to find them in via tech chest in the wild (shutters), just that blank tech cards are, well, boring, in comparison to going out and exploring. I like the fact that when you get one you have to deiced between similar tech and that you know where to find tech, you just don't always have the mean to get it but that's about it. I propose mixing the old way and new way to get tech by creating an entire area(s) for the tech. Imagine this if you would. You find a blank tech card. Your AI (whom we will speak more about soon) starts up it's tracker. What is it tracking? We'll an unused science station of course. It can find what planet it's on but you have to explore to find it after that. These stations are scattered generously around the universe, sometimes buried deep underground, sometimes crashed into the surface, sometime still operational and hovering high above the surface but not in orbit (similar to the pirate ship). These stations were designed to be mobile so they remind you of hovering, balloon-less blimps mixed with floating science labs. Under normal circumstances these stations are hard to get in because of (add obstacle here like turrets or really strong walls or guards) but while you have the blank card in your hand your safe and the doors are open. Inside there's some pretty decent loot but the main prize is the tech-encoder. You select what tech you want and take your cleared card. Then the station slowly starts to power up and then all the blocks, all the chest inside of it, the furniture and all, vaporize, or more or less vanishes, it's job done, perhaps going to a different planet or plain of existence. Who knows. Is that not a much more engaging and satisfying way to get tech? Furthermore I think you should be able to trade out tech anytime but at the cost of how soon you can use it. Trade a piece of you tech while your on a planet and not on your ship should result in all your energy being depleted and then slowly charging back up at a decreased rate. Finally I think that vehicles such as the Mech, Jeep, and Boat should no longer be pieces of tech but instead craftables. They are fairly boring when it comes to the idea of tech and making them buildables (especially if they can be upgraded with different bit's and pieces for example, right clicking your mech and equipping it with a different or upgraded kind of mech gun you just built ) would both bolster the crafting system and free up space for cooler pieces of tech.

• The Universe(s) Around You
    So this section has more to do with the players interactions with the world and vice versa specifying on the Player, Their Ship (AI Included), NPC's and Quest, and Dungeons and Bosses/Enemies.

• Genetic Advantage
    So as I mentioned before, to my knowledge, every races armour gives them a slight bonus. Something like for Hyotles, the stronger their armour the longer they can breath underwater. As I mentioned before, I think these bonuses should be race based, not armour, in order to make them more personal. What I didn't mention is the fact that I think that all these bonuses are really plain and they are in major need of being spruced up a bit. What I recommend is something similar to an RPG level system and small skill tree. When I say small I mean it, each race having three unique skills (offensive, defensive, and movement/special) and six common place skills that all races can achieve with three other, more online focused skills. Instead of leveling up you could have something similar to to the tech card (like a Gene Amplifier or something) that would be fairly rare and kinda difficult to get but would "level-up" one of the three race specific skills while the other six would have a natural level up (meaning they would be based on action that you natural do in game like jumping and if you were to jump more you would be able to jump higher. something like that.) and the three online ones would level up via experience points you slowly gain while you mine or fight and are in a party with someone. Let make a example using the Hyotle and the Nova-Kin. A Hyotles three race specified skills would be doing more damage in water, taking less damage in water, and moving faster and being able to hold your breath longer in water. A Nova-kins would be doing more dmg the further away you were (i.e.e. using guns), taking reduced damage from projectiles/ while moving (cause their dodging bullets like in an old west shoot-out), and every once in a while their shots piercing enemies and walls and shooting through them. With this their each race has something that really sets them apart from the others but that isn't vastly advantageous. The Hyotle has water themed skills and the Nova-kin has wild west inspired ones. The skills that they share would be simple stuff like using less energy, jumping higher, running faster, etc, etc, and the multiplayer skills would too be race special so a Hyotle would have the multiplayer skill of letting their party member breath underwater longer or something and the Nova-kin would have something like letting their party member do more damage with guns.

• Bumper Sticker and Starting the Adventure
    So I realize that you can decorate the inside of your ship anyway you like but besides that the level of customization for ships is a bit scarce. Now, I've seen mods that try to address this by allowing players to build along the outside of their ships but these feel janky at best. Here's my solution: Ship piece placement customization. With this one were already kinda half way there As of now players can upgrade their ship making it bigger, but imagine being able to actually build that "bigger" attachment. Think of it like this. When you gathered the necessary components to upgrade your ship. Your ship would get bigger yes but you would be able to build how this was done and pick a specific upgrade. For instance, say it's the first time I upgrade my ship. I get the extension like we do now but I can choose where it goes, choosing to place it at the end or on top of or sidelong like a tower, similar to attaching a Lego to another piece or photoshop. I then could choose a ship upgrade like shields or how much fuel it uses or firepower. This would make the rumored space pirate battles a lot more interesting. Also I have a recommendation on how we begin the game with the ship and how we go through with it. As of now, when we start out ship is stuck over orbit without fuel. I instead propose that our ship is crash landed on our starting planet and we're not just trying to find fuel but too fix the damages. This would make the ship feel a lot more personal than just the device used to get you cross galaxy. My second recommendation would be the ability to land on planets by clearing out an area and making a landing that's large enough and has a code for your ship (meaning that in multiplayer only your ship could land on said pad.. This would make home bases, ship flights, and travel as a whole much more interesting and provocative.

• Helpful Ship AI or Secret Task Master?
    So, I've noticed something. As of current the most definitive goal we, the players have, to complete all the quest is to make our ships better. Our AI gives us some (usually worthless) information that leads us to complete different task, all w/ the grand goal in mind of collecting enough resources (that are usually a pain in the a++ to find and are incredibly time consuming to gather) to expand our ship. But then I realized, what do we get in return for this? More space to hoard useless junk but that's about all. In the start of the game we essentially bring our AI back to life and then proceed to upgrade and expand what is essentially it's body and all it can do is point us in the next direction to make it better. Unless your going to turn our own ship into something we fight like a boss I don't feel great on the fact that were basically slaving for our own ship with little sense of accomplishment. My solution? Integrate him with more of the gameplay. Give us a reason to want to upgrade him and make him a recourse we can actually use. For instance, upgrading him to increasing the amount of information he can tell us about planets, or how deep underground we can be with him still being able to beam us up, or something really cool like giving the player the ability to call him and select items from inside the ships storage locker(s) and then having him fire down a little tow pod that way we can grab different weapons or drop of planetary goods without having to beam all the way back to orbit.

• The Hands That Giveth...
    So I'm just gonna go ahead and say it but my god are the outpost quest boring. It's mainly a bunch of fetch quest that don't even feel worth the time. Instead, I feel like they should be replaced by more engaging quest or better yet, making them exclusive to quest that set you up to fight the boss battles or similar things which we'll get to in a moment. So your probably thinking, if you cut out all these quest from the outpost what should be there and where would we get all these other quest. My answer is a double whammy. I think that outpost quest should be where you go to get the boss stage quest but also more action oriented quest. To give example: going to the outpost and getting a quest where you have to help defend an NPC's broken and crashed ship from five waves of enemies, or a quest where you have to secretly plant a bomb in a "terminator" factory and then escape before it blows up, or one where your break someone out of an Apex prison. More fetch quest-y quest should be related to, drum role please, The players home base. This is why my answer is a double whammy. You see, as of now there's no real reason to build a "motherbase" of sorts in SB unless you're playing with at least five other people and even then you would be hard pressed. By making other quest only obtainable via NPC's whom live at your "homebase" you give players an incentive to build a base and to continue coming to it. This would work similar to how you get vendors in Terraria. You have to build a structure that meets certain requirements, even maybe NPC specific requirements like building defenses or having a building that has test beakers in it. And what incentive is there to make players want to do these quest? Well now this is a triple whammy. Unlocking Vendor Items that Only Base NPC's can Give you or Sell you. Imagine this. Build a base and a Nurse NPC shows up. She can sell you a few items for cheaper than you can get them at the outpost because you her landlord. She has a quest though where she wants you to go and collect X amount of Bio-matter from enemies. If you do so she can sell you some new things like an upgraded medi-pack and/or a weapon that does more damage against certain kinds of enemies. You could even have a random events which prompt you to return to you base and defend it from Pirates and looters. Now player have a truly rewarding incentive to build a home base and participate in quest that are otherwise just fetch or escort missions. Also, it would be nice to see some NPC settlement explicit quest. Oh, and guess where you can land your ship and make repairs and what not? Your motherbase. Boom. That's, like, a quad whammy.

• The Hands That Taketh Away
    This is actually where I have the least problems. Instead of pointing out a problem I'm actually going to commend you on you current work and recommend that you strive to make the rest of you current work similar in nature. What I speaking of specifically is that of Boss Battles, the best example being the lunar boss. I love that battle, and it's now one of my top five favorite boss stages from all video games. The reasons why are simple but I can not stretch how important each is to the experience. First of all the when I say that the Lunar Mission was a Boss Stage, not just battle is very important. It reminded me of a wickedly awesome dungeon crawl with laxed and tensed moments, multiple paths to the boss, and secret areas. And the boss themselves. My god, pure awesomeness. What really sold it was not only the enjoyably tough difficulty, or the presentation, but the fact that I could not kill the boss via traditional means. I had to rely on the weapon the stage gave me and items (like shields and stim-packs, both which saw heavy use) as well as my own (platforming) skills to see me through. It was Honestly near-perfect. With that said it was to my obvious chagrin to find that the rest of the boss fights were lacking in the quality. So this is my recommendation. Make all the boss fights more like the first. Noticed I said like, not exactly alike. What I mean by this is take the time to make a intelligently designed stage, like a good dungeon crawl, with several varying but straight forward paths to the boss, multiple secret areas with unique loot, plenty of environmental obstacles (locked doors that make you crawl through vents), hazards (like the acid traps), and benefits (like using acid traps to kill enemies or perhaps using a mining drill to kill a bunch of minions and clear a cave in), and a smart, engaging boss fight that is difficult not just because the boss has a lot of hit-points or because it can dish out a lot of damage or because it's hard to f++king see when it's about to attack (I'm looking at you penguin boss fight) but because it forces the player to use all their skills, tech, and support items in interesting ways. Like, for example, lining up and dropping boulders on a boss, or making a boss hit themselves with their own missiles or strategically opening a trap door to make a boss fall into harm, or lining up yourself next to spikes that way a boss who charges you impales himself. There are a lot of options. Finally, all I have to say is don't be afraid to change it up a little in the presentation category. What if a boss fight is you riding on a train through a tunnel while it chases you and you have to shoot certain things to make them run into them, or maybe a "boss stage" where you have to defend a base until a friendly NPC finishes fixing an escape pod for both of you. You have options. Just make sure you make it so boss stages can be done with friends in co-op plays. Next I'd like to address random dungeons found in the wild. I love these but they tend to be fairly boring. My best recommendation is make them more expansive, give each one a unique piece of loot, and give them an interesting puzzle to get to that loot. For instance maybe in a glitch castle you find scribe notes that hint at how to get to a secret part of a dungeon. The player has to use their deductive skills to solve a puzzle that opens the hatch, maybe having to ring the bell, take a golden cup of a table and put it on a shelf, and pull a chain that's actually a lever. The last thing I have to say regards mobs. I believe you need more model pieces and attacks for mobs. As of now everything is some creep sharp creature mixed with some weird fluffy creature (except for the birds who all look the same which is worse) and everything either pukes bubbles or Shi+s rainbows. As far as attacks go I've seen you guys working on this soon I'm not really worried but man. I can't tell you how many creatures I've seen that are extremely or exactly alike to another that's entire planets, in not solar systems apart. I know it's got to be hella hard to fill an infinite universe with unique creature, even when you swap out their parts but you can make it a little easier by providing more parts to switch out and using a logical environment features system. In short, scales and the likes would be logically more common in a dessert where as furry creatures wouldn't be because HEAT. Make sense?

• Closing Additions
    So that was everything I thought could be changed to make Starbound a much more rewarding experience overall. I would be elated if the developers saw this and even one of my suggestions made it but for that to happen it means that You, the community will have to read this in full and bring more attention to this whether that means you agree with what I've thought up or have your own two cents to add so please, get talking. In the other case the following is just some small stuff that I would like to recommend but aren't big enough nor super important to deserve their own segment. Most of what I'm recommending in this part won't even be viable unless the other things I've recommended come to pass but still, please read, enjoy, and comment telling me what you think.

• Decrafting Table
    Pretty self explanatory. Used to disassemble Weapons and Armour into ONE of their base traits. Either How they look, What their stats are, or their bonus effect (If they have one). Upgraded it can de-craft a weapon for is range of motion.
    • Reworking Desk
    This is where the player would use the pieces they got from the decrafting station to make custom gear. Upgraded it can also include a weapons range of motion.
    • Reinforcement Table
    This would be where players could Upgrade and strengthen their gear to make it stronger
    • Combination Station
    Here players can combine items, for instance, attaching a gun to a melee weapon (automatically making said weapon two handed) or a motion sensor, flashlight, goggles etc, etc to armour or weapons in order to gain said items effect while still using the item you attached it to. Maybe an upgraded station could combine multiple items together, like making a Gun-Spear that has a motion sensor attached to it.
    • Dye Station
    Where players can customize the way weapon and armour look via changing its colour.
    • Bio Bench/ Surgical Seat/ Laboratory Love-Seat (I'm Running out of dumb names)
    Where players will use the Gene Amplifier Serum to Level Up their Characters racial bonuses
    • Shell/Hard Suit
    This would replace the Mech as a piece of tech. It would also be smaller (so it could actually fit inside buildings) and spawn around the player like power armour. While using it the player can use a one handed weapon while their left hand/click will activate a small chain gun. While using this tech no other tech can be used and it constantly uses the energy at a med-rate until it's gone. Each race Shell Suit would have a design unique to them (so maybe the Hyotle's would look like a giant suit of samurai armour and the Nova-kin would kinda look like a boiler engine.)
    • Jet-pack
    Fairly simple Tech. Use it to cover med-distances up and forward/backwards. Can be used to burn enemies.
    • Plane Phaser/ Molecular Displacer
    Use this tech to phase through wall and the floor at will by moving in the desired direction. Basically Non-Cheating No Clipping. Certain Blocks could stop it though, like maybe electrical blocks or Tech Nullifying blocks.
    • Hard-light Platforms
    Create Temporary Hard-Light Platforms as you move with this tech. Other entities can stand on the platforms. They stay where you have walked for 30 secs.
    • Freeze Dash
    Make a very short dash that temporarily freezes enemies you pass with this tech. A flame varrient would be pretty obvious.
    • Doppelganger
    Create a Doppelganger with this tech who stands slightly in front of you. They absorb damage (at the cost of faster energy lost) but also attacks when you do doubling your damage.
    • Phantom Fear-Monger
    Make enemies flee from you with this tech.
    • Stealth Module
    Simple. Go invisible with this tech. Attacking forces you out of invisibility and causes you tech to relapse back into an inactive state.
    • Orbital Strike
    Call you ship to Aim it's guns down to either side of you and lay on the fire with this tech.
    • Environmental Stasis
    Use this tech to create a bubble shield around you. You cannot fire out of this shield but attacks are nullified against it.
    • Garage Workstation(s)
    The crafting are for where you will build vehicles such as the Mech and Jeep and Boat as well as any upgrades you want to equip them with. (When you want to equip something to a vehicle right clicking it will open up it's UI similar to if you opened up your own inventory.)
    • Motorbike
    A fast vehicle that can seat up to two players but has little armour. Cant drive on snow (effectively) without upgrade.
    • Tank
    A vehicle with heavy armour and guns but is really slow. 3-players
    • Hovership
    A vehicle with Med-speed that can transverse any terrain. 3-players
    • Gun-Boat
    A med-sized ship that travels at a med-pace but has some heavier fire power. 3-players
    • Large-ship
    A large boat that is somewhat slow but can carry up to 12 players. Can be upgraded to go underwater or in the air.
    • Mega-Mech
    A Larger model of the Mech that can break blocks and holds three player. Heavier Heavy fire power.
    • Nurse Homebase NPC
    Requires player to build an airtight home (Background walls and normal walls + roof. Does not have to be a separate structure entirely. It can just be an additional room.) that has a chair, table, bed, and test tubes. Sells health goods. Can be any race but more commonly is players race or Avian. Gives some quest.
    • Armourer Homebase NPC
    Requires Player build airtight home w/ furniture and anvil. Also Requires player to set "Base-Markers and build Guarded Gate with Two Villager Homebase NPC assigned to them. Sells armour goods. Can be any race but more commonly is players race or Hyotle. Gives some quest.
    • Gunsmith/Weapons Homebase NPC
    Requires Player to Build airtight home w/ furniture. Also requires player to set base turrets or manned turrets with assigned NPC. Sells weapon goods. Can be any race but more commonly is players race. Can be any race but more commonly is players race or Nova-kin. Gives some quest.
    • Chef Homebase NPC
    Requires Player to build airtight home w/ furniture but instead of a bed a cooking station. Sells food based goods. Can be any race but more commonly is players race or Floran. Gives some quest.
    • Trader Homebase NPC
    Requires Player to build airtight home w/ furniture and both a small and large crate of any kind. Sells general goods. Can be any race but more commonly is players race or Human. Gives some quest.
    • Robotics Homebase NPC
    Requires Player to Build airtight home w/ furniture and BOTH a computer and server boards or having at least five Base Turrets. Sells robotic goods such as quickly deploying auto-turrets, Robotic Companions and robotic goods. Can be any race except Floran or Glitch but more commonly is players race or Apex. Gives some quest.
    • Pet Homebase NPC
    Requires Player to build airtight home w/ furniture and a dog house. Sells animal companions and pet goods. Can be any race but more commonly is players race or Glitch. Gives some quest.
    • Mechanic Homebase NPC
    Requires Player to build airtight home w/ furniture and a toolbox. Sells Garage goods and schematics. Can be any race but more commonly is players race or (Placeholder for Future Race Suggestion). Gives some quest.
    • Farming Homebase NPC
    Requires there to be planted crops within/in-between a pair of base markers. Sells farming goods. Can be any race except Floran but more commonly is players race. Gives some quest.
    • Villager Homebase NPC
    Requires Player to build airtight home w/ furniture but instead of normal bed requires "Villager Bed" and Radio Tower. Up to five beds can be in one home. A kind of villager whom can be assigned specific task like manning a turret, tending to crops, or guarding a gate. Can be outfitted with weapons and armour and renamed. Can be any race but more commonly is players race.
    • Landing Area Block and Ship Code
    Used to define an area in which you ship can land. You can find out how long you need to make this Landing pad on your ship while it's in orbit by going to your cockpit and checking your ships stats.
    • Guarded Gates and Bridges
    A Gate and Bridge that can be closed/drawn-up. Villager NPCs can be assigned to guard these and ordered to attack (or not attack) certain entities. Requires generator.
    • Villager Bed
    A special bed used to indicate that there is space for villagers
    • Base Turrets
    Special Kind of auto turret that is used to protect bases but requires generator.
    • Generator
    A machine that provides energy for certain tools.
    • Manned Turrets and Spotlights
    Manned turrets used to protect bases and spotlights to help guard them. Requires Energy
    • Radio Tower
    Used to attract villagers. May also attract hostiles. Can be used to send villagers to other bases w/ radio towers owned by player. Requires Energy
    • Base-Marker
    Marks where a base starts and ends. Used to name a base and identify it's owner, fraction, and other details. Also gives player bases stat information.
    • EMP Eminator
    Makes tech unusable within it's field of influence. Requires Energy.
    • Plane Solidifying Blocks
    Stops the effects of the Plane Displacer Tech. Can also be used to contain other hazardous materials like anything radiated.
    • Settlement Leader NPC
    For natural spawning settlements it would be nice to see a leader NPC roaming around giving orders who you could get quest from instead of just the implied power.
    • More Active Guards
    Pretty simple. Would make them more realistic.
    • Settlement Quest Giver NPC
    Again, pretty simple for obvious reasons
    • Settlement Worlds
    Self-Explanatory, Entire planets that are settlement cities. They should have slightly different quest and NPC (like cops who want you you act as a detective or mobsters.)
    • Enemies Who React to Light
    Self-Explanatory
    • Enemies Who can go Invisible
    Self-Explanatory
    • Night-Vision Goggles (Utility Armour)
    Self-Explanatory
    • Motion Sensor
    Self-Explanatory
    • Heat Sensor
    Used to see invisible mobs and players

Like I said earlier, I know that Starbound is still unfinished and will continue to update. I also realize that even If a lot of this made it into the game it would be a long time before we would ever see them. Again, all of this is opinion based so I would really appreciate it If, now that you've read through all this, you would give me feedback and what not. I'll be posting some other suggestions which are more focused in topic that I'll link here. I know that this post probably could have been split up but I feel that It would have made each of theses sections way to vague on their own to properly convey the importance of them to the game as a whole.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    jakecool19 and Aroxys like this.