1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Force Gates 2.1.1 [Spirited Giraffe]

Tired of meteors destroying your painstakingly crafted house? Deflect them onto your friend's house!

1. PenguinToast

PenguinToast Big Damn Hero

PenguinToast submitted a new mod:

Force Gates - Tired of meteors destroying your painstakingly crafted house? Deflect them onto your friend's house!

Read more about this mod...

SuperMandrew likes this.
  2. CommanderWasp1x

CommanderWasp1x Big Damn Hero

Sounds like a great mod, better than that force field generator, will you be adding the ability to place and activate your gates diagonally? Thank you

3. PenguinToast

Thank you for the feedback! I really wish I could add diagonal gates, but unfortunately, there's no way for for me to do that without destroying the game's performance due to limitations with scripting right now. However, as soon as this changes in a future patch, I do plan on allowing diagonal gates.

CommanderWasp1x likes this.
  4. Xentor Antarix

Xentor Antarix Ketchup Robot

Cooi, to bad this can not be mad einto a wearable item, than we could make real energysihelds :)
    Or imagine this in spacebattles...
    Pfff so many Mods should be in the Game from general, this one too.
    But I doub it will *sights*

5. Gantros

Gantros Pangalactic Porcupine

If it isn't in already, could you make it so you can switch the direction of the field with a switch? If you can, you may have solved the elevator problem.

Skyskinner and CommanderWasp1x like this.
  6. PenguinToast

Thanks for the suggestion! I did consider doing this, but since the gate nodes are only one block large, I only wanted one wire node on it, which i used for toggling the gates on/off.

CommanderWasp1x likes this.
  7. PenguinToast

8. Gantros

Gantros Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't know if it's feasible, but after a bit of thought, I thought that by allowing the nodes to be controlled by switches, buttons and motion detectors, one could make a proper elevator that would turn off when you reached a floor, a button to turn it on again, and a switch to reverse polarity.

9. PenguinToast

10. mizukaru

mizukaru Phantasmal Quasar

I love this mod... however it definitely has some things to be worked out. This mod brings so much to the world of starbound. From making shields, to making push elevators that can sky rocket you all the way up into space if you wanted to make a space elevator. Things i'ev noticed while working with this mod: nods will randomly reset or change directions after leaving the zone. Nods will sometimes be hesitant in pointing in the directions you wish of them. Aiming their directions while tethered is almost impossible.

Hope to see these fixes soon, and once again great work on this amazing mod.

11. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is lots of fun, but MAN is it a hassle to get them to face the way you want. I'm trying to built a speedway on a Flatland world, but it's being a pain in the rear and I simply can't get them all to face the right way. The best I can do is make them all face to the right and down, but it'd be more effective to make them invert, so bottom is down and bottom is up, and to the right. But I can only do that for the end pieces while the other end does the opposite.

Gah, it's frustrating.

Better manipulation of direction would vastly improve this mod, while it's already pretty nice. It'd be great if there was a heightened mode that was several times as powerful (Accomplishing the same force that multiple layered would do). Like a or green beam vs the blue beam. They'd have different usage in measuring out the power you want behind it and stuff.

12. mizukaru

I made a space elevator haha. took me 5 hours to build, goes from the center of the earth, to blasting you all the way up to an asteroid. It's part of my on going dungeon project

13. PenguinToast

Yeah, thi is an issue that I can't quite figure out how to easily solve. I've found that the easiest way to flip the direction of a single beam is to place a node on the beam, flip that node, and remove it.

14. Cipherstar

In case it helps, I would suggest a separate tool, use it on the node and then press the direction keys in the direction you want the node to face. Multiple inputs stack, so you could press up and right to make it face diagonally, or press up or right again to make it face either direction again rather than diagonal.

15. mizukaru

I think each node should just be separate adjustable's all together. Sure, it might add a single click to the progress chain, but it sure as hell beats fucking around with the durpy nodes

16. Cipherstar

I'm getting a bit of a hang of the nodes, to an extent. I made a whole 3/4 sides of a box out of three layers of nodes. Miraculously, I have them all facing the direction I want them to. So I now have a proper barrier.

The annoying part, however, is that now my game lags very noticeably ._______. Crap.

I notice that quite often the nodes will get damaged and fall out of place. That's rather annoying. Could their durability be increased? Could they be edited to be placeable in mid-air? The biggest hassle so far in making barriers was making the points of wall. I went through with a single line of wall, and then went through with the manipulator to cut out 4 spaces between each point so I could set the nodes. In a diagonal formation, so that no node caught "Line of Sight" with another node from a different layer.

17. PenguinToast

Unfortunately, there is no way to mod in a custom tool yet. There is also no way to have a diagonal force region. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep it in mind when a patch is released that enables it to be done!

18. PenguinToast

19. FoggyPaws

FoggyPaws Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is there a maximum size per gate? Covering a town to protect from meteors would be neat, but very large.

20. PenguinToast

I limited the size of each gate to 10 blocks, which was more or less an arbitrarily chosen number. However, it is very easy to just place a line of nodes across the town, protecting it from meteors.