1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

For the people having trouble with Alpha sector's boss.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Lascivar, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Lascivar

Lascivar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Since there seems to be a relatively large amount of people posting about the difficulty of the boss, please at least be at the point where you are comfortably clearing level 9 planets before you try to take on a level 10 boss.

Level 9 planets have level 9 creatures, thus level 9 loot. At night time the creatures are level 12 and can drop level 12 loot, meaning you will STOMP the boss with it.

Jumping from a level 5 planet straight to the boss with level 5 gear only means you are pretty much attempting to kill a dragon with a toothpick per se, and then being upset when it doesn't just bow down to your presence.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. maniacal1

maniacal1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So by alpha you mean the first planet system, right? So...you don't have to beat the UFO boss before you leave??

Man, maybe there needs to be a tip in the quest dialog that denotes you don't have to be on the starter planet to use the Relay thingie. x_x I've literally ran the entirety of this starter planet scrounging, quite surprised when I ran all the way east and ended up coming up on my camp from the west an hour later.

theCrius likes this.
  3. Lascivar

The Alpha Sector is planets 1-10. Beta is 11-20 and so forth.. The boss being the highest level of the sector, so to jump from gear/creatures of level 1, to level 10.. You're asking for an incredibly rough time.

4. maniacal1

maniacal1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well damn. Good thing I"ve got 2 stacks of coal then. :) Appreciate the tip.

5. b14d3r11

b14d3r11 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Don't forget to use wood as a fuel :) its easier to find and i think is a 1-1 fuel ratio

6. Delimar

Delimar Star Wrangler

Coal has a 2-1 fuel ratio. Also, They should add in the quest tip, "Be prepared for Lvl 10 enemies."

Braken likes this.
  7. Zair

Zair Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm assuming this means the armor penetration of the weapon should be at or exceeding the level of the mobs you want to hit, if at all possible?

8. Lascivar

Correct. Armor Pen is your weapon's "Level" per se, on average it will take you 3-5 swings to kill a creature that matches your armor pen level. It also depends on the weapon's speed/damage too, if it's immensely slow you might have trouble keeping it at a distance for your second swing to kill it etc.

9. Kayote

Kayote Phantasmal Quasar

I managed to beat the first boss with nothing but an iron bow, and a set of stairs.

The boss doesn't clip through walls, so you build an over hang for him to bash his ship into, then you build a set of stairs with wood planks roughly just before where his blast is, all of his minions go up the stairs and you don't have to worry about them till the little ship penguins appear, give yourself enough room to dodge the little ship penguins blasts and eventually you'll take him down without taking damage.