Digital Floran Fan Art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Aesthetic-Defile, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

oh well that's not a good time :eek:

it's still not finished?! it looks so good already though @_@

can't help you with SAI im afraid, idk how to use that program: i only have photoshop

2. Aesthetic-Defile

Aesthetic-Defile Subatomic Cosmonaut

No sweat! And aye, still quite a bit more to go. Refining the linework a tad more now that I see a few flaws with it, and adding out-of-picture ambient light sources, sharpen details. Probably another day of playing around with SAI and trying to understand it and I might just have completed the picture.

But I'm glad you think it looks good so far. It was your idea.=D

3. What sort of tips do you need for SAI? I might be able to give out a few.

4. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

looking forward to it when its done :)

ahh well it may be my idea, but it wouldn't have come to life if you hadn't drawn it :coffee:

5. Aesthetic-Defile

Looking at your art, I think you're capable of more than a few tips.=P Seriously, very beautiful work, Suika.
    To take you up on that offer though;

*Linework. I did the linework in the current one with the pen, but there are a few places I've been fighting with that are less than pleasing. So any advice you can offer on lining, or what you prefer to line with would be awesome.

*Blending. I'm not annoyed with the way it's turning out blending wise either. How-ever, again, a few little inconsistencies. I've noticed your blending, especially in the Tentacle-Planet picture is phenomenal. So any advice on how to get it a tad smoother would be absolutely appreciated.

This is my first time using SAI. Like I stated before, computer HD is near death, so I had to switch to a computer that pretty much laughs at Photoshop. So anything at all you can tell me, even little ambiguous tips, I would love.

Thank you.=D

It should be done today, actually. And while it's true that I am painting it, it was your own scene specific inspiration that caused it to bloom. So, you're just as big a part of it as I am. Though I'm happy to say that I somehow began to pull it off near the later stages, so I -think- you'll be pleased with the outcome. We shall see.xD

6. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

well i suppose im a part of it in some way i guess d:

oh no worries I'll definitely be pleased with the result :up:

7. For the lineart, I normally use a size 7 pen tool with 10-15 stability. This allows for elegant, clean and crisp single strokes, as opposed to multiple messier 'hesitant to cross the road' strokes.
    A good alternative would be a size 7 or smaller water tool with the following settings: Min size=0%, Density=100, Blending=0, Dilution=0, Persistence=100, Quality=4, Max Denser Pressuure=65%, Hard/Soft=100. This allows for thicker and slightly more transparent lineart, which is ideal for cartoonesque drawings.

The size settings for each tool varies with the preferred work space size. The bigger the image worked on, the larger the size preference.

Regarding blending, I use a Brush Tool with varying Minimum Size, Density, and Blending. I keep Dilution at 40-60 and Persistence at 0. Experimenting with the variables are really important here in order to get the best possible outcome.

Technique is also a variable here; Sometimes I straight up paint over the base color using the darker/lighter color, but other times I cell shade over the base color using another color, then blending them together. Of course, both techniques have their own advantages and disadvantages.

8. Aesthetic-Defile

And the final version is up.=D

Aha. Well thank you for the tips. I'm definitely going to mess around with what you mentioned with some rough sketches and try to get a feel for it. I think my main faltering point with SAI above all else is the blending. I seriously appreciate you throwing some basic brush settings at me. I'll start with those and mess around from there. Thank yooooou.=D

9. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

my goodness it's beautiful :DD

i love the color scheme of it, so awesome: not to mention the water looks fantastic

the whole piece is just amazing all around, i love it :up:

Aesthetic-Defile likes this.
  10. Aesthetic-Defile

Thank you so much.=D! I'm glad you like it. Thank you for the idea.

11. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

of course!
    thank you for drawing it and bringing the idea to life :D

12. Aesthetic-Defile

No need to thank me. I absolutely enjoyed it.=D

Ephexis likes this.
  13. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

well that's great :3
    btw if you decide to put up any other artwork, send me a pm so i know to go check it out: i normally don't visit the art sections to often so i probably miss alot of good pieces

not to mention I'd like to see what other magical artwork you can churn out:up:

Aesthetic-Defile likes this.
  14. Aesthetic-Defile

Thank you! It means a lot to have you interested in my art. I shall definitely PM you whenever I upload something else.

15. Ephexis

Ephexis Cosmic Narwhal

well your art is quite interesting so how could i resist? :D
    and great, sounds like a plan :coffee:

16. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

Very good art :) You don't happen to take requests, do you?

17. Aesthetic-Defile

Thank you! And If I believe I can pull it off, I may indeed take requests. Throw me your idea and I'll see if I can make it happen.=D

18. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

Awesome! Can you make me a side view of an avian (Just the head and shoulders) wearing sunglasses? :)

19. Aesthetic-Defile

I shall try, I shall try. Doesn't seem like it'd be to too hard of a request. I'll keep you updated with WIP's. It will definitely give me something to busy myself with until Christmas.xD
    Any specific sunglasses type you'd like? Or color?

20. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

I would like it to wear black aviator sunglasses :)