1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Tutorial Fixing Lost/Corrupted Universes and Player Files

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Trinosaur, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

yeah that sounds like a problem beyond what this thread can help you with. If I were you, I'd make a new thread about it, email chucklefish with your error logs and share the problem with them directly.

2. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

Just trying to keep this topic bumped so people can find it when they need it :)

3. yeahchris

yeahchris Orbital Explorer

Hey guys,

Just had this happen to me dozens of hours in. Absolutely ridiculous bug. Needs to be fixed or the game needs to start keeping proper backups of your universe file. Or at least they need to make quest progression not be tied into your universe file.

Annnnyway, unfortunately I put the main quest on hold right at the point where you turn in the final artifact and are told to go confront the big bad. The console commands listed here leave the ark closed. I'm unable to do the dialogue which results in it opening. The quest is at the stage where it is telling me to go through the ark, and yet the ark is closed so I have absolutely no way of completing the main quest without a console command to open the ark.

That your universe file can become corrupted I understand and accept. It irrecoverably breaking the main quest is absolutely inexcusable. Why is this not still in beta?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Trinosaur likes this.
  4. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

Hi! Iris gave a console command solution to this that I will make sure to add into the body of my main post:

Hope this helps!

And I agree, this problem needs to be addressed. The problem staff are having is that it seems difficult to replicate or handle without player logs to reference. IMO, it should be as simple as creating routine backups in case of universe fails, but I'm not a programmer so that might be the best solution. Either way, I hope it gets handled soon! In the meantime I will continue to maintain this thread so that I can help people like you and prevent heartbreak in the future.

5. yeahchris

yeahchris Orbital Explorer

Not a programmer either, but I would expect it would be as easy as hanging onto the last known good world file / universe file. If you go to load your universe and the file is no good... it uses the last known good backup.

You know... like we're doing manually by backing up our stuff. Think I'll make a batch file to back everything up on startup.

Anyway, you're the man and saved my game. Thank you.

Trinosaur likes this.
  6. Metalloman

Metalloman Poptop Tamer

Hey guys,

Just subscribed to this forum because I had the same issue the guide in OP talks about, but I'm having a problem:

- I followed the steps required to parse the xyz.player and universe.dat files into .json files;

- I copy/pasted the UUID number contained in the universe.dat into the .player (player.json), in the "bookmarks" line;

- when I started the make_versioned_json.exe, it returned me an error:

Code:
    Error! Caught exception (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: unexpected character parsing word at 217:24
    [0] 1349e0a
    [1] 1348c68
    [2] 13348a7
    [3] 1339dae
    [4] 130ca22
    [5] 1364a39
    [6] 76a1338a BaseThreadInitThunk
    [7] 7762a242 RtlInitializeExceptionChain
    [8] 7762a215 RtlInitializeExceptionChain
    And it doesn't of course overwrite the .player file.

I hope you guys can help me, as this isn't the first time it happens to me and it is starting to become annoying, after 150+ hours into this game... plus the hours spent to find a solution to reopen the ark gate which it doesn't open if you redo (or set via command) the main quest dungeons for the artifacts after the outpost reset.

which is, just in case:

Code:
    /admin
    /failquest destroyruin
    /admin
    And Esther will give you the quest again reopening the gate. :)

Anyway: I delved into the starbound.log and it doesn't give a clue about the cause of the crash: the only things I know are:
    1- if I leave the game idle for some minutes, (even if I need to go to the bathroom!) it freezes irreparably and I'm forced to hard-reset my computer, which is no good;
    2- this game has huge memory leak issues, going over 10 GB RAM in use after some hours, and probably point #1 is related to this (but I don't have a 100% proof of this, just noticed the two things going in tandem).

However, do you know how to let the make_versioned_json.exe to work for me? :)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

7. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Your player file has a syntax error at line 217. You must make sure that it fits the JSON syntax. If you don't know how you can attach it and i'll take a look onto this for you.

~ Iris ~

Metalloman and Trinosaur like this.
  8. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

@Iris Blanche I quoted one of your explanations on the way save overwrite works into my main post (it's at the bottom). Hopefully this can help everyone better understand this issue. :)

Iris Blanche likes this.
  9. Metalloman

Metalloman Poptop Tamer

Yeah I tried to figure out what the syntax error was but with no avail :(

I deeply thank you for your offer, @Iris Blanche, I'll attach here the .json files, the universe .dat and the .player files, in case you need to test them with the dump_versioned_json.exe and the make_versioned_json.exe. :)

Thanks again and sorry for the late reply, I wasn't at home in these days.

Attached Files:

10. Iris Blanche

Fixed. The "error" was that the data for some ephemeral effects was stored with the inf duration which isn't noticed by json. I simply exchanged it with 999999 or something in that range >v< (that's long enough for the new inf duration to takeover)

~ Iris ~

Attached Files:

Metalloman likes this.
  11. Metalloman

Metalloman Poptop Tamer

O,O WOW That was quick!
    Unfortunately when I placed those two files my char disappeared from the selection menu, I had to rollback to my previous .player file to have my char back, and still no teleport bookmarks... :(

12. Iris Blanche

A previous player file will need the changes too.
    Did you remove a mod? That could explain why your character doesn't show up.

~ Iris ~

Metalloman likes this.
  13. Metalloman

Metalloman Poptop Tamer

No I didn't, but now that I think on it, I had an update from one of the mods I have (steam version here), but the .json files were from before the update.
    Could it be the cause?

I'll attach here the new files, just converted, no UUID modified, so I can't accidentally break anything! :notworthy:

Sorry for the annoyance...

Attached Files:

14. Iris Blanche

I changed the uuid this time in the universe.dat so that all old characters should be compatible.

~ Iris ~

Attached Files:

Metalloman likes this.
  15. Metalloman

Metalloman Poptop Tamer

You are my hero, @Iris Blanche!!!

All is fixed now, thank you, thank you a lot!!!! :party::DD

16. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

17. Iris Blanche

2-stop is unlocked with outpost_mission1 (erchius mining facility)

~ Iris ~

Metalloman likes this.
  18. KingTomato

KingTomato Jackpot!

yeah, i deleted my post cause i realized i had to do oupost_mission1 then 2 and then finally 3

Trinosaur likes this.
  19. Trinosaur

Trinosaur Big Damn Hero

Thanks! You're awesome!

20. Blixt

Blixt Void-Bound Voyager

Metalloman likes this.