1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Fixed]Starbound Composer Broken

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sniper_x002, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Sniper_x002

Sniper_x002 Phantasmal Quasar

I'm not sure where to post this.. but anyway Starbound composer won't detect any instruments after this new update. Is there an alternative to this software that people use for Starbound ABC notation besides manual editing?

Edit: I got it to work, here is a guide I made

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    OneOnlyDan likes this.
  2. Juschlan

Juschlan Void-Bound Voyager

I googled for this issue and found your post. Seems like it's not just me :D
    The creator of Starbound Composer will probably look into this and fix it for us.

Attached Files:

3. Sniper_x002

I fixed it, it requires adding the instruments as a mod. It isn't all that hard, and if you want I can make a complete guide.

4. Nimrod

Nimrod Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm sort of lost about adding the instruments as a mod, myself. I'm not sure I'd need a complete guide to understand, but... yeah I got no clue as is :p

5. Sniper_x002

Don't worry, I'm going to make a Steam Guide on how to fix it. Working on it now.
    --- Post updated ---
    Here you go

6. Nazosan

Nazosan Void-Bound Voyager

I'd like to bump this to ask something: what are the minimum files required for Starbound Composer to "detect" a Starbound installation? I decided to go a bit of a different direction. I don't want the game to actually use any of the older files or load this as a mod that could potentially interfere, so I came up with another idea: building a minimum repack of the instrument data from an older version of the game I had on hand. For now I've had to reproduce a lot of the same directory structure and have all the EXE and DLL files in the win32 folder which still takes up more space than should be necessary. (Eg the idea is just to make this as clean and minimal as possible.) I repacked just the instrument data into a new packed.pak file which ended up being around 42MiB, so at least that is a lot smaller and cleaner. I know it's not a huge difference as the majority of the game's size is in that original packed.pak file, but I'd still like this to be cleaner as I'm basically just tossing them into the program's own folder.

EDIT: Nevermind. It just has to see a "starbound.exe" file in the win32 folder to decide that the game is installed there and that's pretty much it. So I just have assets/packed and win32/starbound.exe and it's convinced. Seems to work 100% this way. I gave it a blank starbound.exe (0 bytes) and it is fine.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  7. Sniper_x002

I don't know, but I haven't had any issues from using the instruments as a mod. It would also probably be the best way to save space.

8. Nazosan

Nazosan Void-Bound Voyager

I figured it out. It just wanted assets/packed.pak and win32/starbound.exe to be present. (And it doesn't actually use starbound.exe, so it can be a 0 byte file.) This way uses about 42MiB of space total and I can just toss these two folders and files in the composer's own directory completely independent of the game.

9. Keppabar

Keppabar Big Damn Hero

Not sure if this is related. I've tried to install the latest version of Starbound on my new PC and it will not install. I downloaded the zip file, extracted it, tried to use the installer and it stalls saying the mod is already installed, it isn't because when I try and start the exe it says it can't find the installed files.
    There is no previous version installed, and the installer says the mod is already installed.
    I had it running on my old PC so not sure why it will not run on my current one. Running Windows 10 64bit OS.