1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Finding Diamonds in 1.2

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by balegrim, Dec 30, 2016.

1. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

Ok. so, it used to be than when I was on higher tier worlds diamonds were, like, everywhere. Popping up in groups of 7 and 8.

Now I rarely see them, and partially feel this is because they end up replaced by RNG with things like solarium, feronzium, volium, aesigault (spelling, but you guys know what I mean), etc.

So I'm asking what tier of world is best for diamond hunting. I want to make pixels with the refinery for various projects. Or are there quests I should be doing that award a steady number of diamonds at the end? Any input would be helpful. Please and thank you.

2. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Run around low-end worlds (Lush, Forest, Desert, Savannah, Snow) and look for chests, they have pretty good chances of spawning diamonds, MMs and upgrade modules. Actually, those chests spawn everywhere with roughly the same loot, it's just that it is way less hassle to farm around low-end planets.

Better question is, why would you need diamonds at all? There is way more easily accesible (and less monotonous, to boot) methods for acquiring pixels: running planetside dungeons, redoing main missions, farming crops and cattle, abusing mods.

3. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm pretty sure diamonds are not a good source of pixels in starbound anymore. I got most of my diamonds from the machines you find on planets that randomly spawn ores or cast an aoe effect (don't know how those are called). You could refine high tier ores instead (violium, aegisalt etc), it works well. For a long term farmable pixel source you should look for large crops farms (cocoa is the most convenient one), fluffalo farms in order to craft perfect items and perfects leggins you can sell 10k pixels each, and i personally use a 100% afk poo golem farm (like this one but it requires small tweaks in the current version).

balegrim likes this.
  4. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

10k each, eh? That'd require. . . A lot of fluffalo for perfect armor farming.

5. Momopovich

i have about 30 of each type, it didnt take me long to get them. They regrow their loot every 10/15 minutes so it quickly pays off. (oh and i duplicated each egg, if the egg hatches when you are not in the area you get 2 babys from it. The bug was already in 1.1 and didnt get patched).

6. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

I believe Fluffalos restore their drops daily.
    My personal way is redoing missions (particulary Ceremonial Grounds, Grand Temple and Miniknog Stronghold). Upwards to ~3-7k in one run (provided you grab the secrets that is) which is usually a cakewalk along with farming unique weapons and figurines? Sign me up.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    balegrim likes this.
  7. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

Any idea how many cocoa seeds you need to make it worthwhile? What's the standard size of a cocoa farm?

8. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

By secrets do you mean grabbing that cosmetic armor?

9. Momopovich

as big as you can afford :D The ideal would be a farm so big the first crops you harvested have time to regrow when you finish the last ones so you can perpetually farm. But I'm sure it's not necessary and also so many sprinklers could make a lot of lag. Do as you want, the ratio pixels/farming time should be good enough anyway.

balegrim likes this.
  10. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Yup.
    Grounds: Tribal Mask (1k) + Insidious Mask (500) + Goat Skull (500) + whatever the hell you found in boss chest and on hunters (~1-1.5k) = solid 3k
    Temple: Valkyria Helm (1k) + Phoenix Circlet (1k) + whatever the hell you found in boss chest (~1-1.5k) = 3-4k
    Stronghold: Visor (1k) + quite a lot of stuff from containers and guards + boss chest = 3k

And that's minimum. Every run takes 5-ish minutes. I mistyped in initial post, I kind of keep forgetting that selling price is 1/5 of full price.

balegrim likes this.
  11. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

Do any merchants sell cocoa seeds? Or do you mean coffee?

12. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Naturalist Merchant tenant. That or just run around Forest and Jungle planets and dig up wild bushes.
    Cocoa, because it is one of the most expensive farmables, as well as a stacking and non-spoiling one.

balegrim likes this.
  13. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

According to this file awhile back he doesn't sell cocoa. ><

"giantflowermerchant" : [
    [0, [
    { "item" : { "name" : "grassseeds" } },
    { "item" : { "name" : "flowerygrassseeds" }, "rarity" : 0.5 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "wheatseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "cornseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "riceseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "potatoseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "carrotseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "tomatoseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "sugarcaneseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "beakseedseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "coffeeseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "feathercrownseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "kiwiseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "grapesseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 },
    { "item" : { "name" : "neonmelonseed" }, "rarity" : 0.3 }
    ]]
    ],

14. Momopovich

I'm no
    Nope I mean cocoa : http://starbounder.org/Cocoa_Seed
    You can find it on a bunch of planets (forest, jungle, any green biome). I basically harvest it every time i find one, it takes no space in the inventory

balegrim likes this.
  15. balegrim

balegrim Big Damn Hero

So, any clue how much 100 seeds will net me, money wise?

Since I have to collect them manually, it's nice to gave goalposts.

16. Momopovich

I don't have numbers for it since I'm not using such farm atm. But keep in mind every kind of farm in starbound is at least partially manual. The afk poo golem farm is the only fully afk thing which works after 1.0 that i know.

17. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Well, going by wiki, cocoa needs 45 minutes to grow, and assuming you will collect it instantly and get 1.2 pods on average (roughly 90% recieving at least one, and 40% to recieve two), that'l give you 160 pods (2880 pixels on sale) per hour. Have I already said dungeon/mission running is a better idea?

18. Momopovich

The main reason for farming crops or using afk farms is to spend the least possible time farming. Instead of doing mission runs during your active playtime you could farm ancient essence or build for example. You could obvioulsy combine mission runs with crop farming but you don't necessary want to just farm pixels when playing starbound

19. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Then I guess you need this: Gardenbot 2.1
    EDIT: And probably this: Ore Plants+

20. Momopovich

I like to stay 100% vanilla and reach the limits of the game. If i want a game with more automation and stuff i just play minecraft (100% vanilla too).