February 17 - Server Configuration Changes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Elite Space Hobo

Elite Space Hobo Void-Bound Voyager

For those who desire a bit of security, can you add a hash & salt option, so that salted hashes are used instead? I seem to recall that you already embed the openssl libraries, so hopefully this request is small. Naturally, for people who have no idea what password hashes are or who simply don't care, you can leave plaintext as an option.[DOUBLEPOST=1424332316][/DOUBLEPOST]
    And to make sure you haven't goofed up the formatting by missing a comma or something, use this tool: http://jsonlint.com/

2. hoodvisions

hoodvisions Poptop Tamer

Yeah, same here, gotta work :) Planning to mess with the config files during the weekend, but if you happen to find that one file that matters before: awesome!
    Yes, I did make sure the server is updated, guess I'll just have to try around a little more. Ebenfalls viel Glück!

teilnehmer likes this.
  3. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

Danke! And it worked - it's the file /giraffe_storage/starbound.config. Happy configuring!

4. Celd' The Magi

Celd' The Magi Pangalactic Porcupine

Having issues trying to figure this out. It throws an error every time. I am tech savy but no coder. Basic cmds an stuff. But never notepad items.

this is what I am entering

"serverUsers" : {
    "Chris" : {
    "admin" : true,
    "password" : "123456"
    }
    },
    "Blake" : {
    }
    },
    "allowAnonymousConnections" : false,
    "allowAdminCommands" : true,
    "allowAdminCommandsFromAnyone" : false,
    "bannedIPs" : [ ],
    "bannedUuids" : [ ],

Attached Files:

5. teilnehmer

You have one curly bracket too many - serverUsers opens and closes with one, and contains entries that open and close with one. Said entries are comma-delimited.
    This should work:

Celd' The Magi likes this.
  6. This sucks when the sync script doesn't support the new admin boolean values and'll require refactoring. I wish that'd been left in it's own hash. Alas.

7. Celd' The Magi

Unfortunately this did not work. I guess i will just have to spend some time figuring this out over the weekend.

Thank you though!

8. enkrypter

enkrypter Void-Bound Voyager

The replies in this forum post are proof that requiring users to edit config files and format them properly is as bad of an idea today as it was in 1999.

Usability and ease of use should be paramount! Anything else is half-baked. Not everyone wanting to run a server will be a capable power-user.

A good rule of thumb is, "can i make this work without reading any instructions"? If the answer is "no", then it's not easy enough.

Ravager and benignInferno like this.
  9. teilnehmer

Really? I'm sorry to hear that. Are you changing the correct file in /giraffe_storage/starbound.config?

Celd' The Magi likes this.
  10. ZeekDaGeek

ZeekDaGeek Void-Bound Voyager

As a streamer it would be nice if the password field in game was hidden. At the moment every time I need to connect to the server I have to blank out the entire screen. The sort of thing where it's replaced with ****** would be nice.

teilnehmer likes this.
  11. teilnehmer

Replaced with what?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D. I do agree with you, I tried out twitching the other day (and immediately got stage fright...), and realized I would have given away my password IF I had had any viewers.

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

••••• of course.

13. Kelzo

Kelzo Void-Bound Voyager

Every time I try to load it up, it crashes

14. Celd' The Magi

SO I FIGURED IT OUT.
    This portion of code

Goes at the very top.

So I have figured out what is throwing the error. When I place the "aallowadmincommands" after serverusers inline with the rest of the code it throws the error.

I can add the user string, red is what throws the error.

"serverUsers" : {
    "Blake" : {
    },
    "Chris" : {
    }
    },

"sfxVol" : 100,
    "speechBubbles" : true,
    "title.connectionString" : "10.0.0.14",
    "upnpPortForwarding" : true,
    "vsync" : true,
    "windowTitle" : "Starbound - Beta",
    "windowedResolution" : [ 1000, 600 ],
    "zoomLevel" : 2
    }

[DOUBLEPOST=1424635137][/DOUBLEPOST]

Attached Files:

• 22.JPG
      22.JPG
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
    • 23.JPG
      23.JPG
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
    • 24.JPG
      24.JPG
      File size:
      21.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  15. Rogue Seraph

Rogue Seraph Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I play Starbound on a server running on my own computer at times, so my wife and I can play together and share a home world. Well my wife put hours of work into a world bulldozing it for the sake of easy building and it FREAKING RESET ITSELF. All the bloody work she did appears to be completely gone, and this happened once before before the 1.0 update. Where do I report this total bullcrap/ask how to fix it?

Edit - In the mean time I showed her how to spawn the Super Fishaxe, so she is enjoying that.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  16. Holgast

Holgast Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"hunter2" haha

17. Marth5543

Marth5543 Void-Bound Voyager

well, i'm still having a problem with this... i put in the information correctly like the example above; and it booted right up. well i went in and tried to /admin to make myself admin and it didn't let me. so i changed the "allowAdminCommandsFromAnyone" to true. went back in, same affect.
    i have the admin commands set to true and the anonymous connections set to false, yet random people can still join and i cant do admin commands.
    can anyone help me here?

18. peelpub94

peelpub94 Yeah, You!

For the love of God.. can someone just post a working config file with the proper syntax? All of these posts claiming "I got it to work" don't work.

19. Topaz2510

Topaz2510 Intergalactic Tourist

I am really bad with programming and the like so this is an absolute nightmare for me.

20. Guardian Jack Frost

Guardian Jack Frost Orbital Explorer

<.<
    >.>

*Swordfish*

:iswydt:
    :whoop:
    :X
    ;);)

Couldn't decide which to use :)