Modding Help Fatal Exception? New to Modding.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Vylcas, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Vylcas

Vylcas Space Hobo

Hey everyone, as the title says I'm new to modding. I'm just bored and want to try making simple and while I have everything ready, when I launch it says fatal exception error and a bunch of lines of code. From what I've looked up people are saying that means it's outdated, which I assume means my code is outdated. Is there anyone out there who can tell me how you make an item craft-able? I assume the problem lies with that.

2. Vylcas

Vylcas Space Hobo

Kept tossing files in and out to test things and it seems like the error only pops up when the .metadata file is in the folder and I don't understand why.

3. Antyrus

Antyrus Pangalactic Porcupine

It means your metadata is broken. Make sure you don't have any rogue/missing commas/brackets/parentheses. If you can't figure it out, copypaste it here.

4. Vylcas

Vylcas Space Hobo

{
    "author" : "Vylcas",
    "description" : "Pointless mod made just to prove a point to someone.",
    "friendlyname" : "name",
    "name" : "name",
    "version" : "1.0",
    }

That's all. I can have the file within the folders but it has to be tucked away. If it's near the top it'll keep crashing. The game doesn't process it existing otherwise.

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You only add a comma if there is a line below it with data.
    No comma should be after
    Code:
    "version" : "1.0",

6. Vylcas

Vylcas Space Hobo

That seems to have worked, thanks! Guess I didn't even care to notice the comma lol. I have a question unrelated to this if it's allowed... or do I need to make a separate help page for that?

7. The | Suit

Nope same is fine

8. Vylcas

Vylcas Space Hobo

Sorry, been busy lately. Didn't mean to reply to this post a year later D: (sorry, had to). So I've fixed most things with the mod I'm creating, but I still have a minor problem. I'm trying to make a really basic book/codex but am brand new to modding. Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be (I read an older guide) I have a .codex, .codexitem, and then a .recipe. I tried making it craftable so you could have the book dropped and read like you would if you found the book in the game. Problem is, as soon as I open up the crafting table it just kicks me out of the game saying the item doesn't exist. Do I need to patch it in or is it something wrong with my naming? I'm unsure of how outdated everything is on modding (couldn't find much consistent stuff, sadly) so I'm sorry if this seems very basic or too broad to ask. Just trying to get the hang of something simple before moving onto a larger project and then later on to different games.

9. The | Suit

I don't believe Codex Items are used anymore.
    You will need to look at vanilla codex files are done and check book shelf treasure pool tables

I believe the new format is itemname-codex with the -codex at the end of it to create the item.
    Though I am not a 100% sure.

10. Vylcas

Vylcas Space Hobo

Internet was down since yesterday. Finally went up again. I'll look into that, thanks. One last question and I'll be done and you can lock up the post or whatever (sorry). Do you ALWAYS need to patch to character? I assume it's only if you want it immediately available, but again I'm new so I don't want to assume anything.

11. The | Suit

Patching is required if editing vanillia files.
    If you are making your own custom files patching isn't necessary.

As for player.config - you only need to patch it if you want the player to know the recipe automatically.
    If you want the person to find the recipe through some book or item you don't add it in player.config