REQUEST Extended Fridge-like mod

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Borodin, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Last year, we had a great mod from Crystalmir called ExtendedFridge. It dealt with what some of us perceive as a problem--the inability to see all the foods you can make in SDV at any given time, because the refrigerator database is so very small. Many of us have resorted to storing ingredients in multiple chests inside and outside the farmhouse--seemingly endless ingredients, in multiple grades, and sometimes multiple colors--and it's a chore to track everything and compare the results to recipes. EF gave us four pages' worth of storage instead of one.

But...it no longer works with the 1.2x version. Crystalmir's gone, and the modder's EF webpage on Nexus hasn't been visited since last October. I've left a message, but since they haven't even looked at Nexus since February 1st, it's a fair bet that the mod's dead.

So this is a request for a similar mod which is 1.2x-compatible. And anyone who supplies it will receive the accolades of billions, the key to every city in the world, and a real Ancient Fruit in the mail. -Or at least, the sincere thanks of those of us who used EF.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
      Ladysarajane and xangria like this.
    • Ladysarajane

Ladysarajane Existential Complex

I love this mod. Unfortunately, I cannot use my old save until this is updated, cause I forgot to empty my fridge before the update, and I will lose a bunch of my items, not to mention the errors in my save that might occur without it. I don't think the original author had it open source either. :(

Borodin likes this.
      • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Actually, you don't lose the food when you lose the mod. It becomes inaccessible. I discovered that I was still able to create recipes with my ingredients, only I couldn't get to the ingredients, themselves. Couldn't add to them, or remove them.

Not sure what's meant here by "open source." I've seen this mentioned before. The code isn't hidden, and it isn't owned by any modder. All mods use the same code provided by CA, and this one can be fixed by someone who knows what they're doing. -As an aside, when I did an extensive mod for Oblivion, I took pieces of code from another mod that had been abandoned, and also used by other modders before me. Tried to reach the modder, and failed. It wasn't open source in this sense, either.

If the problem is the courtesy of adjusting the code without permission, it would seem (just to me, mind) that a mod from someone who's been gone from the scene for over half a year counts as abandoned. And it's not as though someone else is claiming it for their own. I can't honestly see them threatening legal action for fixing something that's broken in code they don't own.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
        • Luciferish

Luciferish Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, you can. I logged into my old game and started taking stuff out of my fridge. As I took stuff out, stuff from 'page 2' and 'page 3' began to appear. It took some time, but I got it all out and organized in chests using Chef's Closet.

Borodin and Ladysarajane like this.
          • Ladysarajane

Ladysarajane Existential Complex

Thanks for the info. :DD

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Clever. Thanks for that.

• hwayunhae

hwayunhae Pangalactic Porcupine

The only issue with chef's closet is that cooking skill mod breaks it. I didn't have that problem with EF. Guess I have to make a choice now. :D

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I've just tried Chef's Closet, and couldn't get it to work. No matter where I placed a chest in the kitchen, any ingredient put in that chest didn't show up when I looked at my available recipes. Placing the same item in the fridge worked.

• hwayunhae

I noticed an issue with that until I got the house upgrade that gives me the kids room. Then all the kitchen tiles were acknowledged correctly. Might be something that needs to be fixed. I do know the OP posted a picture where he had his chests all in a row in the main (non kitchen) room. Have you tried putting a test chest outside of the kitchen tiled area?

Borodin likes this.
                    • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Good point about placement.

From the look of his video, he placed the chests along a line to the right of the fridge into the eating area. I just tried putting a chest in two places in the same area, without any luck.

• hwayunhae

Unfortunately, I can only do minimal levels (meaning, copypasta strings in tIDE) of coding, so I have no idea how to fix that problem. Once you get to the final house upgrade, it should work (I suggest getting rush orders so you can get there faster for more cash). though if you have the cooking skill mod (or the prestige version) it won't work at all. They conflict and none of the modders have made a fix for it yet.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Just speaking for myself, but I'm not interested in anything beyond the first house upgrade. Hopefully, someone will fix either EF or Chef's Closet, so they'll work with 1.2. We'll see. :)

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank