Exciting Post About Exciting Things

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jan 7, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

New stable update! Soon™!
    I am wondering if people can choose first arrival point on planet though. Or maybe have it randomize every time without a bookmark, to simulate launching straight down from space on a rotating body from a non-synchronous orbit.
    It would help avoiding those troll planets where, by either bad luck or malicious players, there are deadly traps right on arrival that would gib you as soon as you appearify.

2. Tuesday's Eyebrow

Tuesday's Eyebrow Phantasmal Quasar

Indeed. I once warped to a planet and was stuck inside of a box with a background so I couldn't warp out, and a hole all the way to the core... They even took the effort to seal the sides so I didn't die by landing on the edge of a cave... I still died from the lava though.

On an unrelated note, I'm really hoping for some better wiring stuff. As it stands, the stuff you can do with wiring is a little... underwhelming. I mean, sure, you can toggle lights, make automatic doors, and even basic calculators, but you can't make an automated assembly line, or sorting system, or farm... And with this being far in the future, you'd think humans would still use those technologies... Not that it's the simplest thing in the world to program... But It would certainly make the game allot less... tedious.

3. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

Not if. When.

Also yes, pretty please yes. I would very much like to have those things.

Oh, and it should be "and" not "or" between bookmarking and teleportation. Have it require you building an advanced teleportation beacon (Keeping the home planet teleport a freebie) if you have to, but being able to bookmark and immediately access any planet you've visited and built on would be fantastic.

Zael likes this.
  4. Linio

Linio Big Damn Hero

So yeah... 2015, info on the release date?

5. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Stable update is still on schedule to come out this month. You're not going to get anything beyond that.

6. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

I think, with the bookmarked system, we will indeed have those trap planets for unsuspecting players if arrival point is not randomized. The trapper only need to bookmark their arrival somewhere nearby, and loot the things the dying players drops...

And about the wiring, I thought we have logic gates? Pretty sure someone can do an automated assembly line with the right parts. Also, we are using light wiring that can phase through matters. Lets just assume those things are complex and we can only do basic stuff with them.

7. Linio

Linio Big Damn Hero

Yeah, then again we paid at some point, and it was said the game would be out in 2014.
    Seeing as Chucklefish earned a bunch of millions with the pledge, it's only fair that some date is given.

Just saying...

8. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Not really no. Because then people will hawk them if something happens in the middle of development and they miss the deadline. It's already happened once. It'll be done when it's done.

Zael likes this.
  9. Linio

Linio Big Damn Hero

It's actually the problem of doing something professionally.
    I'm a developer, i never, once in my life said to a client : it will be done when it will be done, and trust me : i don't earn 4 millions a software.
    This "it's a game so it's cool" is getting a little old.
    Plus, there's a difference between saying it will be done when it will be done and giving an estimate, which honestly i think a lot of people here deserve.

I think there's also a huge problem of prorities on this project, a lot of stuff are added whereas the core is not even stable (this post is saying the issue with armor and stuff), why is this not a priority? No need to add stuff if the core is not thoroughly implemented and tested...

MutatedAlien likes this.
  10. Caintokya

Caintokya Big Damn Hero

Please fix progression in the game, its bland, boring, quick, and broken. </3 Also, all dungeons are worthless now, they never spawn anything becides over powered enemies.

11. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Another developer in our midst. Alright then show us your projects. The last guy who boasted his experience left with his tail between his legs after being called out on his bluff.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
    Serenity likes this.
  12. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Take it easy, man.

The | Suit and Serenity like this.
  13. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Im to guess you are not a game dev, seeing as you say its inexcusable due to it being a game, but ill just say this:

If you, and a group of like minded individuals, around the world, all had this one project, that started modestly, but could be so much more, wich all of you were paying with your own funds, and actively working on it and in a seperate workfr sustenance, and if you aquired more than enough money to develop the game into something much bigger, better, and ambitious, where the restriction your group had would be solveable, a headquarters would be funded, and a lot more quality, polish, and all that jazz ccould be done woudnt you do it?

It will be done, when it will be done, it has no need to be rushed, at all, so it can take whatever amunt of time it wishes, for in a objective manner, its quality has rissen quite a bit in this method.

You do know, the core is still being build, its being built along as the game is developed, and it aint easy making a game engine with alll these features, ad to make it ridiculously modable aswell.

I say, so far, let it work like that, this system hasnt dispointed us too much yet, give it a shot, woudnt ya?

14. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

Looking forward to better ranged weapons :metroid:

TheLoneGamer and veldanov like this.
  15. DMPumuki

DMPumuki Void-Bound Voyager

16. veldanov

veldanov Lucky Number 13

Please, add maps for the planets. It is impossible to enjoy mining and planet scavenging.

17. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

Is there any chance you'll make it so we can obtain the blocks and stuff from Mission Areas without having to resort to the Admin mode? I mean, IMMA BUILDAHOLIC, and I love the Lunar Base Lockers and Diagonal Doors, as well as those blue screens from the Outpost. But sadly, I have no other way to get them than to use admin to print them.

Perhaps you could make it so we have a random chance to find the Blueprints in the containers of each on their respective areas (just as it happens with their logs); that could add a lot of good reasons to replay those Mission Areas.

Also, on another request, which might seem odd, can you make it so grass grows on Dirt Blocks placed by the player, or that grass you remove gets regrown again? I like to build Plazas and Parks on my bases and even with the trees, they often seem weird without grass.

yclatious and veldanov like this.
  18. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

A minimap would be awesome. Didn't someone write one using the new canvas system at one point just as a demo / experiment? <_<

Zael likes this.
  19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

==
    If all the characters are in the same universe
    if you made a 2nd character - wouldn't you have destroyed the mission planet?

20. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

looking over the nightly changelogs I missed, I found this: http://starbounder.org/Bug

This will make a friend of mine very happy, especially since there are 3 types of moths. I have no idea what she sees in them but I hate all flying insects for the same reason: they are all trolls. They deliberately fly at my face just to mess with me.

Having said that, I have two things I want added to that list in the future: Millipedes and spiders. I want a big fuzzy spider that I can hug and love and feed ALL OF THE LITTLE FLYING BASTARDS TO IN REVENGE. :devil: And I like millipedes, they have so many legs and they wiggle when they move. :3 Like caterpillars, except they don't grow up to be assholes which I guess is something caterpillars have in common with humans.

Colaymorak likes this.