1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Erchius Boss Invisible Damage Bug

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sm00thJa22, Feb 3, 2015.

?

Just a quick gauge: did anyone else encounter this bug?

Poll closed Feb 10, 2015.
  1. No, I didn't notice anything like this.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, this sounds exactly like what happened to me.

100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sm00thJa22

Sm00thJa22 Aquatic Astronaut

[tl;dr = The animations for the plasma beams in the third phase of the Erchius boss battle don't actually show where the beams really are, leading to "invisible" plasma beams.]

I've encountered a bug with the third phase of the Erchius Boss. I died a few times trying to kill that boss, and all of them were in the third phase where the plasma beams narrow together and the only safe places are directly above, below , to the right and to the left of the boss. What happened was I kept getting damaged for no apparent reason: nowhere near the boss, nor one of the plasma beams, nor a minion and their ranged spray attack. I would just be standing in a spot that should be safe, and yet I was taking damage.

I noticed after a while that I was taking the same amount of damage that the plasma beams dealt, and it was always when I was standing where the plasma beams would be if they had narrowed in the opposite direction. That's probably not clear, so let me explain: The boss starts by shooting out plasma beams in an X shape. Then they either narrow vertically (where they form a tall, thin X), or they narrow horizontally (making a wide, flat X). What was happening was that the animation would play for the beams narrowing vertically, yet I was getting damaged as though they had narrowed horizontally.

Sure enough, I was able to beat the boss by treating the beams like they had narrowed horizontally when it showed them narrowing vertically, and vice-versa. So it looks like there is a problem with the animations for the two different attack forms being swapped for that phase of the boss battle.

Sorry for the lengthy description instead of pictures, but I didn't think to take pictures of the bug when it happened, and I am not interested in going through that dungeon again just to take some screenshots. I am as sick of going through that dungeon as everyone else. Add some checkpoints, seriously.

(Note: The FAQ said to post bugs in the "Game Help & Support" board. That was confusing, since I overlooked this board a few times while looking for the "Game Help & Support" board, thinking "but this isn't a billing problem" :p)

2. Dunto

Dunto Guest

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.