Enraged Koala Hotfix / Content update #5

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by kyren, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Your Buddy Bill

Your Buddy Bill Existential Complex

Heck is a new detached underground biome.

2. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

then why have we been getting patches where the devs themselves do not know what is included? if they already use diffing, why have they not once released a "real" changelog? something does not smell right.

NerArth likes this.
  3. Leak

Leak Subatomic Cosmonaut

It does recurse into subfolders if you tell it to - I use that functionality all the time at work...

Just check the "Include subfolders" checkbox in the open dialog, or check the corresponding option in the "Shell Integration" page of the options if you start it directly from Windows Explorer...

4. RenaldiForumStar

RenaldiForumStar Big Damn Hero

To everyone who can't enter game w/o steam auto updating: turn off your internet, launch steam in offline mode, and lauch Starbound. Devs, you REALLY need to find a way to keep Steam from doing this; we'd rather not like everything breaking because of a bad update that we couldn't avoid.

5. Ecto-Biologist

Ecto-Biologist Yeah, You!

Same here...

6. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

or, stay online. right click starbound in your library, select "properties". select the local files tab, then click the "browse local files" button. from this directory click the folder corresponding to your OS (more than likely win32), then select the correct file to launch starbound (likely starbound.exe or starbound_opengl.exe)

because you cant use steam's chat functions in offline mode.

7. RenaldiForumStar

I never said it was a perfect workaround, just a workaround...and everytime i link to starbound.exe, steam auto launches...

8. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

is steam overlay disabled?

9. RenaldiForumStar

As in steam is required to launch starbound?...I dunno

10. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

no, as in disabled for use when starbound is launched. it's an option for starbound in steam (or a general steam option for all games) its the thing that enables "shift + tab to enable interface" and steam screenshots and all the like. i've had mine disabled since the release of the diagnostic tool, which recommended i disable it.

that's the only reason i can think of that steam would try to force an update when auto-updates are disabled during a launch from exe.

11. RenaldiForumStar

Ok, so disabling steam overlay worked. thanks. Only problem is that I can't see the game launcher and it goes straight into the game. I've realized that the starbound news launcher is directly tied to steam and the default shortcut for SB placed by Steam is a link to the news launcher....but whatev

12. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

instead of the game's exe, you can use the launcher's exe. that works too.

13. RenaldiForumStar

mmmm.....found it. If I knew how to script i would make a one-click to find the launcher.exe and save it as a desktop shortcut.

14. Frigglish

Frigglish Space Penguin Leader

If making my primary point of contact with the Starbound devs the official site means I perceive a lack of communication, there is something wrong with their communications policy.

15. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

you can right click the launcher's exe, highlight "send to" and select "desktop(create shortcut)"

16. RenaldiForumStar

I mean a one click to do this all automatically without touching the starbound files...though i'd have to be incredibly lazy to do so...

17. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

and i forget the CLI commands to make desktop links ;D

18. phytophile

phytophile Void-Bound Voyager

I jumped right from Furious Koala to the latest hotfix before I'd read this. I still have a copy of my player and universe folders from before I updated. Is there any way I can recover my worlds? I lost hours of building. Thanks, and sorry if this has been answered already and I missed it.