Elliott or Sebby?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KikyoMoon, Dec 28, 2016.

?

Who should I marry?

1. Elliott

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Sebastian

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. KikyoMoon

KikyoMoon Void-Bound Voyager

Who do you think is better?

• La Chair

La Chair Big Damn Hero

I only have married Elliot in one of my save files. He's an amiable bloke who's book shelves fit nicely with my decor.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

You're basicly comparing oranges to apples with these two, pretty much the only thing they have in common is the fact they're men :p
        They're vastly different characters.

It's really up to you who you prefer, they both have lovely traits.

springacres and seth0et0holth like this.
        • Baruch_S

Baruch_S Big Damn Hero

Well, Elliott seems less moody and needy to me, so that's a plus. He also wants to be in Stardew Valley whereas Seb seems set on getting out of town ASAP until you tie him down with a family. I guess if you go for dark and broody, Seb is the way to go, though. He's kinda fun once he warms up to you.

seth0et0holth likes this.
          • HappyMaw

HappyMaw Void-Bound Voyager

If you keep him happy, Elliot will make coffee, fix fences, feed & water animals or crops. Not all spouses do the same stuff for you, afaik.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Depends on what you like. As Minimanta said, they are very different.

Elliot is good if you like overly romantic poetry spouted at you on a daily basis. Seb is good if you like occasional sweet things that catch you off guard. Both will make coffee, and Seb will sometimes bring you items from the mines. In all other aspects, your experience will be very similar.

If nothing else, go with the one you think is the cutest.

• seth0et0holth

seth0et0holth Star Wrangler

So I have files with both :)

Both are cool in their own way. I think Elliot is cuter (I really do love that prince/princess style - he reminds me a lot of the man I love IRL, lol if he played drums as well as piano he'd be a total clone of him ahahaha) and he seems to actually do more around the farm etc (though I'm not 100 percent sure on that, it just seems like he does more of the watering and animal care) and seems more romantic etc. His cutscenes are also cute, and I will admit LOLing at the dialogue when he's all "I never thought I'd fall in love with another man" etc (if you're playing a male farmer). Yeah... I think everyone expected that ;)

Sebastian has a couple of pretty awesome cutscenes (I love the one where you're staring out at Zuzu City...), he's more of a dark and broody type and a NEET (and having played the original game, I don't know if this was removed in the update) he's a bit of a stoner haha (in the original there was a cutscene with Robin complaining about the weird smoke smell in his room ;) ) and he's definitely more quiet and reserved. He has a sweet bike (and makes me wish the game had an option for that instead of the horse, LOL). That said, I've noticed (and again this may be just due to the RNG or such, if all spouses do take care of the farm equally) he'll spend more days working on his bike or just hanging around than helping out on the farm (which can be REALLY annoying if you don't have your iridium sprinklers set up for your crops yet), as I'm currently playing the file with him.

As for getting to full hearts with them, Elliot is FAR easier to get by the end of the first year/beginning of 2nd year (he has a lot more loves and likes including most flowers and he especially loves fairy roses - unless you're lucky enough to get a void chicken in the first year, or mine a lot for gems, or you can somehow build out your house to cook in first year and fish and cook Sashimi, you will NOT get to full hearts with Sebastian until at least 2nd year (or third, if you're unlucky).

Personally I'd say Elliot.

(the two that are easiest to get if you want to be married in first year or start of 2nd are Elliot and Shane, IMO. Shane because all you have to do for his absolute love gifts are have 400g for a beer or grow Hops and have a few kegs going, and he likes almost all food items...)

(and thinking of beginning a new file and trying for Harvey...)

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I'm in the same boat, I think at this point I have files with most of the bachelors and I gotta say each of them have a particular charm. So a lot of it for me is figuring out what seems a best match for the particular farmer I'm playing. I usually go into a new save with a farmer concept or base them on an OC I have and therefore base their choices on that character.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

What are you talking about? Elliott is one of the harder bachelors to woo early on imo. You need a kitchen for the dishes, you need a pomegranate tree super early on for pomegranates, lobsters are an annoyingly rare catch (damn you lobsters *waves fist in the air*) and duck feathers are of course also pretty rare and hard to get in your first year.
                    So you have to go with liked gifts to begin with rather than loved gifts.

Seb on the other hand, you just fling frozen tears at and he'll be a happy camper. And it only gets easier from there once you have a kitchen or a void chicken.

BUT imo that shouldn't determine who you go with though.

• seth0et0holth

Maybe it was because I did the file with Elliott in the first version, and the liked gift balance seemed easier for some reason. My current file is the Sebastian one. Never tried frozen tears though - just gems and void eggs and found he loved Sashimi by accident (I don't use the Wiki much, sorry...)

• seth0et0holth

That's what I do too. Why I'm trying to decide if my next farm will be Harvey or Maru...

• Ambaaargh

I found both Elliot and Sebastian to be kind of rough in the early game but super easy in the long-game. Both are notorious little buggers in regards to trying to stalk outside their respective locations in order to pounce on them with conversation and gifts...versus the other singles who are usually pretty out and about. I swear I have a magical touch that Elliot's birthday is always on a rainy day so if I dont have 2 hearts with him by then its impossible to give him a gift. :rofl:

But once year 2 hits, I find them inversely some of the easiest bachelors to gift in that if you put a single pom tree in your greenhouse you basically have Elliot settled where as Sebastian I usually get a void chicken fairly early on no matter how much I try to shake my slime hut at the witch (give me the black slimes you crone :p) so between that and easy to make sashimi or some frozen tears in the crystalarium Sebastian is covered. I think honestly in terms of bachelors its Alex who is the most aggravating to get actual loved items versus just a score of well liked ones. X_x

All in all I find Elliot is a sweetheart. He starts pleasant and friendly and I cannot think for the life of me anytime when he's rude. Sebastian inversely has that charm of being someone who you can tell doesn't give his affections quickly and freely so there is a sense of how close he must feel to open up to ya.

As someone whose primary farm is a Harvey, I can't deny I'm biased to the doctor. I find his marriage dialogues pretty adorable and sweet and I kind of like how he still goes to the clinic on Tues/Thurs so it feels like a two job household versus primarily stay at home spouse. Prolly means he helps out on the farm a lil less than other spouses, but really by the time I usually get married everything is so automated it doesn't make that much a diff.

• seth0et0holth

Oh I agree there. The funny thing was that on the file where I went with Elliot I actually got a void chicken first year, but on the one I'm playing now, the witch just didn't show up so I had to wait to get a void egg from Krobus and incubate it (then what do you know, the witch shows up the week after!)

But yeah, I'd say if you're really set on year 1 marriage, the easiest option (well, until there's some more balance put into the game etc) for that is actually Shane. Fixed location, you can get his love gift (or one of them) AT that location as long as you have 400g to spare (and don't mind the subtext that you're basically enabling an alcoholic to kill himself :( (which is actually why I can't bring myself to play that route, because two people out of my favorite band killed themselves with drugs and alcohol so far - including the guy in my icon :( - and a third came within 24 hours of doing it but is recovering, thankfully)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
                            • Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Oh Yoba yes, Alex is by far the most difficult one to get loved gifts for x.X
                              Not even a competition, that boy has some seriously specific loved gifts.
                              I haven't married him yet, but I kinda worry about his happiness when I do. Are spouses okay with mainly getting liked gifts with the occasional loved gift thrown in? I try to always give my spouse loved gifts, but that's not gonna happen for him I'm afraid.

And it's generally very easy to get married in year one no matter who you go for. Just take time every day (or at least most days) to talk to them and gift them two gifts, even if it's just liked stuff, twice a week every week (and don't forget their birthdays, for the people with birthdays earlier in the year) and you should be good even if you go for someone like Alex.
                              The only time I married in year two was in my first save and that was only because I was slow overall on that save, being my learning save and all. And the only reason why I had to marry in year two was because you can't get the pendant in winter. Maxed him out super later in fall year 1 and got no rainy days, had to wait for spring year 2.

• Leludar

Leludar Title Not Found

Hmm I didn't had any trouble woo-ing any character actually.
                                I'm at 10 hearts with every dateable character, quite quickly too, within 2-3 years.

I'm almost jumping into year 6 and I just realized I could look up what all the characters love and hate lol.
                                I just kept giving them random stuff and hoped for the best.
                                ...I think talking to the villagers everyday makes your relationship with them go up as well?
                                In the first couple years I talked to every character every single day.
                                I think that's the reason why gaining a close relationship went quickly.

• Ambaaargh

So far in my Alex playthrough it's been pretty easy to keep him pretty happy with just liked gifts and the occasional loved item on the weekend. But yeah, as long as you keep talking to them and giving them a liked gift their relationship points will move upward. There is a nice touch that because Alex's loved items are so rediculously tricky to get...it means that I have to hustle and hoarde and use them sparingly on special occasions....which in a way makes them feel more significant cause they are harder to get versus some of my other saves where my spouse can get a loved item everyday like its no big deal.

One day I'll figure out how to find the perfect balance of making complete breakfasts and salmon dinners regularly. One daaaay~

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Well, you could have a corner in the greenhouse dedicated to potatoes, then you just need a few chickens, a few cows and a stockpile of oil and flour and you should be able to make complete breaksfasts every day for Alex. It's not too complicated a dish when you think about it, it just has a few more steps to it than most dishes. Hmm...

And then salmon dinner would be a fall special, considering you can only catch salmon in the fall.

• Ambaaargh

Thats pretty much what I've been doing. Its mostly just finding that perfect balance cause trying to get enough chickens and cows and potatoes to regularly make the ingredients consistently.

Yeah. Salmon dinner is especially brutal because you also have to get kale which is only grown in the spring unless you also greenhouse that. So its like that boy has fancy tastes. :rofl:

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

He really does have fancy tastes xD
                                        He must be a bit of a foodie, fancy breakfasts and dinners.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I sort of like the idea of keeping a special garden or coop/barn just for ingredients or items that your spouse loves, it's a way to make the farm feel like it belongs to them too. Maybe I'll keep a special pepper garden in my greenhouse just for Shane after we get married. :3

springacres and Leludar like this.