Electricity Generation

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by DemonlordHatty, Mar 24, 2012.

?

Did you think this was a good idea?

1. Yes, it sounds good.

81.9%
  2. No, why would you ever think of this?

2.1%
  3. Yes, but it could be better.

16.0%
  1. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

It's pretty much a giant donut :p

2. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

What if, when you kill a monster, it drops pixels (the game currency), and those pixels can be also used to craft a infinite-battery, and depending on the machine, it requires an amount of batteries to work! because, even with infinite batteries, some machines may need more voltage to work, so, more batteries!
    Like, 5 bateries for a house light source, 1 battery for a flashlight, 30 bateries for a simple vehicle...
    i think this system is better than gathering fuel/ building renewable energy sources, because having to refuel, recharge stuff might be boring after some time

3. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Well this is the core of a fusion reactor
    [​IMG]
    What it would look like on the outside is all up to you.

4. DemonlordHatty

DemonlordHatty Void-Bound Voyager

Well, my idea of what it should look like is up on the main post.

5. DeVoid

DeVoid Void-Bound Voyager

Demonlord, I'm digging the idea. It's always kinda bugged me when there was no source of energy in games with wires.

I may be alone in this boat, but I've always wanted electricity to be a little more complicated. I'd like have actual, measurable amounts of energy (i.e. watts, volts) that could be used to greater or less effects to preform actions; so for example, a small 9-volt battery couldn't power a field of massive ray guns, but it could power a flashlight. It would take larger, more expensive equipment to house the energy needed for more complex, energy draining tasks. This level of complexity would require adding capacitors, resistors, and other items of the sort to be added into the game.

But anyways, I like your ideas on power-production! Very good and well thought out. Nice animation as well!

6. Alpha_Squad

We also need good ol' fasioned coal generators for those starting players and for the more advanced there is the delightfully abundant fossil fuels that everyone just has to use.

7. DemonlordHatty

That was kinda what I was saying about the energy meter, although I guess I really didn't touch on that. I just don't know the game's art choice well enough to choose what such a visual representation would look like. All of the sprites that I've made are just kind of guides, I'm sure they're not that similar to the actual in-game art style.
    So.... A facility that uses coal as an energy source? As in.... A factory of sorts?

8. DemonlordHatty

Or do you mean just a way to gather coal?

9. DeVoid

I believe he was referring to generators run by coal. Having little boxes that spat out coal would be pretty spiffy though.

10. Alpha_Squad

power plant is a generator on a larger scale and is what I meant. Though... we could use both...

11. DemonlordHatty

Gah, I'm going to have to say that I do not enjoy spriting these machines that do bad things to the ecosystem in the real world, mostly because I just can't stand how bland and boring they look.

12. DeVoid

But, but, you could paint them with RAINBOWS! :D

Rainbows make everything seem more eco-friendly, right? :rofl:

13. Eqlles

Eqlles Over 9000!!!

A fusion reactor could look like Doc Oc's mini-star in Spider-Man 2. That IS fusion after all, and if you harnessed it for energy, would give you and EFFING EFF TON of it.

14. DemonlordHatty

Meh. I like my design. :p I don't like to copy anything. Other than the power plant. That was ripped right out of the Simpsons. :p

15. DemonlordHatty

Um.... Not exactly. Rainbows would just make you want to barf when you look at it. I like rainbows, when they're in the sky and arched. Anything painted like rainbows tends to not look so good.... When it comes to architecture. Gonna go out and say ARCHITECTURE. Because I know someone will want to be a smartarse and tell me otherwise. :zzz:

16. Woodledude

Woodledude Subatomic Cosmonaut

Have you even SEEN a steam engine? Which, by the way, is essentially what a "coal generator" is. Look up "Stirling engine" to get a feel of what I'm talking about. In fact, your main concern should be how COMPLICATED some of these things look. If you don't like it being boring and bland, then look at how some of these things are put together and expose the inner workings.

17. DemonlordHatty

Well, I'm sure everything's insides seem interesting. If I were to see your organs on the outside, I'm sure I'd have some level of curiosity aside from the disgust. But my point being that the outside never looks quite as exciting, and if the insides are exposed, it might as well have "C'mon, break me!" written on it.

18. Woodledude

Woodledude Subatomic Cosmonaut

You do have a point... Armor plating is important. At the same time, there are ways to improve the quality in relation to what you're talking about; namely, decreasing the surfaces considered "bland" and increasing the ones considered "interesting". First off, making things smaller or more compact would not only help make things less boring, it would also make sense since this IS the future. Secondly, adding interesting things like pipes and cables might help, but failing that, warning labels, access panels, energy transformers, consoles/control panels (technically inclusive of valves, ladders, catwalks and even doors), exhaust pipes can all add some personality and intrigue, and these are things you would probably actually see on the outside of something in real life. Just saying.

19. DemonlordHatty

I think your point is better. :p I'll fiddle around with it a bit.

20. DemonlordHatty

Well, I've made a coal energy generator, but I made so that you wonder why on earth it couldn't be simpler. Well, I'll tell you why: I didn't think a simple coal energy generator was aesthetically pleasing enough. Enjoy.