1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Early Game Advice Thread (Please Contribute)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Deotay, Dec 5, 2013.

1. xylude

xylude Void-Bound Voyager

How do you get back to your ship, other than dieing?

2. Punisherbr

Punisherbr Orbital Explorer

Press the arrow up button, upper right corner of your screen

3. xylude

xylude Void-Bound Voyager

Haha! I guess I should have clicked all of the buttons before asking, thanks!

4. Equilibriate

Equilibriate Orbital Explorer

-Use the environment to your advantage, if you need to build a wall to block a mob that's too strong do it!
    -Carry a campfire to place when you get cold, screen fades to white.
    -If you know you're about to die, teleport to your ship.
    -Make a pickaxe/axe ASAP, they work a lot faster (use axe to chop vines).
    -If you see a miniboss (larger than normal mob) try to find a way to kill it as they often drop legendary weapons.
    -Shift click will auto remove items from a chest.
    -Right click will place or remove background tiles.
    -Shift click while placing blocks does 1 block at a time.
    -If you see a chain and anchor in the ground, build up, there's a sky town up there.
    -For fast resource farming, dig up ores in dirt rather than stone as it quicker.
    -If you find a shield they will block most if not all damage from same level mobs (need to hold shield up).

Papirus likes this.
  5. Equilibriate

Just to clarify I believe this is a mistake, you can find Spawners that can bring vendors but it's not from killing vendors in villages.

6. JamesTheStrange

JamesTheStrange Aquatic Astronaut

No idea where it's from or what the actual source is, just pointing out that vendors as drops is a thing - for instance I know now not to sweat building a home for npcs in this game

7. Snoflake

Snoflake Void-Bound Voyager

- Red Stim Pack syringes are a powerful health regen.

Not sure what the blue or yellow ones do yet. Yellow made you sparkly for a bit.

8. Equilibriate

Yeah I see there was a misunderstanding, but it's just best to give correct advice on an early/starter player thread. I found 2 NPC spawners and put them on my ship, next time I teleported off and back on the NPC's were there. I know you can get a Chef, Tool, Doctor and Guard spawner but there's probably more. I found mine in chests in villages i think.

9. Equilibriate

Yellow = glowing, you emit light.

Blue = jump boost.

10. TheFlyingJetpack

TheFlyingJetpack Void-Bound Voyager

I learned that the hard way >.>

11. Punisherbr

Punisherbr Orbital Explorer

12. Bahzur

Bahzur Void-Bound Voyager

Me too. :(

13. Sirsir94

Sirsir94 Orbital Explorer

You can scout for ores by swapping to matter manipulator and scanning over the sides.

14. Esfuerso

Esfuerso Intergalactic Tourist

And green makes you move faster for a while.

Also grab every coal you can and don't be afraid to travel to other planets often, just try to make a guess what lvl's you could survive on.

Use the ropes!! they are a really handy way of descending caves spawned by massive sand slides. (they are made out of plant fibers)

Whenever you see something new or odd, DESTROY IT!!! no seriously if a tree is odd looking, there's a chance it will drop something extra, or a different kind of wood. if its a plant that looks weird pres "E" on it and check your cooking table whether you can make something tasty with it. Sometimes getting a new material will also automatically give you a new crafting recipe involving that material.

And i also suspect that if you see Stonehenge-like ruins in the background that means there are structures on the planet (not confirmed only suspected)

Hope this is useful to someone

15. Hash-Ninja

Hash-Ninja Space Hobo

Just a quick question about Threat Levels on planets. I've been watching a lot of videos of people playing and I see threat levels ranging from 1 to 18 but in my game all my planets (no matter how far in the galaxy I go from my starting planet) are all threat level 1... is this normal or do I have to get a tier of armor in order for them to increase? Sorry if I'm being a newb but I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

16. Dactylos

Dactylos Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is a way old thread in terms of game development. Starbound has changed alot since then. Planets now are only level 1-10. Every planet in a sector will be the same threat level. And armor no longer exists except for the player.

17. ThorN

ThorN Poptop Tamer

the mechanics changed slightly you must be watching older version gameplay. alpha sector is all occupied by level 1 planets, beta level 2, gamma level 3 and delta level 4. x sector is occupied by level 5-10 planets. from what i can remember each planet is split into 3 sections, surface, mid and core, the monster difficulty changes with each section, so monsters deep down near the core will hurt more than the monsters on the surface. even though they are all level 1, for example. your armor upgrades will become available mainly when you defeat the sector boss and upgrade your starmap, which allows you to craft better anvils and crafting tables.

18. WyldeFyres

WyldeFyres Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Something small I wish someone told me:

Wooden supports will automatically change their direction when you place them on a right angle with sufficient space.