Dying Really Sucks... [Updated]

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Cruellyricisti, May 22, 2013.

?

Are you happy with the way dying is handled in Starbound.

1. Yup, cloning is just fine with me.

61.0%
  2. Eh, I'm kinda 50/50...

23.6%
  3. No! You're idea is a step in the right direction!

15.4%
  1. ChronoFlux

ChronoFlux Big Damn Hero

They* and You should not have to pay real money for your person to comeback to life.

Jake_Skuller and Cruellyricisti like this.
  2. Cruellyricisti

Cruellyricisti Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I was just joking. Feeding the troll.

3. ChronoFlux

ChronoFlux Big Damn Hero

I know but didn't you read the sign?

---------------------------------------------
    l l
    l Dont l
    l l
    l Feed l
    l l
    l Trollz l
    l l
    ---------------------------------------------

4. ChronoFlux

ChronoFlux Big Damn Hero

Bah it failed

5. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

Respawning is implemented into the game itself as game feature or either "Cloning" and that IS the way to go,no more from nothing spawn,or "Just like that" Spawning,appearing on ground from nowhere...

6. lonzo34

lonzo34 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love this idea, but it kind of makes it seem like you're the ONLY noteworthy explorer on the UNIVERSE (when playing single-player). Again, great idea, but maybe you could add other people (npc's) who die in this fashion as well. When you bring the remains back to your ship, you can put them into your cloning machine (if you have one. If not, put the remains is storage until you get one) and Voila! You have a new crew member with memories and crafting recipes!

7. Cruellyricisti

Dying should some way be apart it story.

8. Flannflann64

Flannflann64 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Couldn't someone make an army of past selves?
    If you want to go in this direction you should probably just stop at getting their information out of their brain or something. As much as I would love to see 100 of my sexy bodies walking around my space station, I think that would get out of hand.

9. Digs

Digs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally I'd rather just have a "hardcore mode" toggle.

10. Highwayman

Highwayman Void-Bound Voyager

By toon do you mean the player's character? Just making sure my bad.

11. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

Not sure where you saw the word 'toon' but in this case, yes, that would be quite safe to assume.

12. Highwayman

Highwayman Void-Bound Voyager

Thread intro

13. leax256

leax256 Space Penguin Leader

when it rains it pours.
    What i mean is the monment you die their is a highly possible chance that your friends will die very quickly after you. thus rendering their help impossible.

great suggestion though.

14. Trogolodite

Trogolodite Space Spelunker

I think Permadeath or even this semi permadeath really ruins sandbox games. Its a lot of the reason why I stopped playing Don't Starve. You spend hours building your bases, and crafting then suddenly its all gone. Its very discouraging and slows the creative process. I think with this idea it would be fun to do once or twice, but when dying you would probably be in a frustrated state and having to do this ten or twenty times would be very very annoying, it is an exploration game after all, you don't necessarily want to be playing it safe all the time. Think about how many times you dropped into hell the first time you found it playing terraria, wanting to push on and explore it, even though you got killed every single time. Part of the fun of these types of games is that they are as casual as you want them to be.

15. darko1233

darko1233 Space Spelunker

I love this idea, but, what if this only happened at the end of the story? Say, in the final battle, your character dies, and of course, you'd go on the mission you described. Whether you clone them or not, it could have huge emotional impact on the player.
    SPOILER:
    Do you remember when John Marston died, and you kept playing as Jack?

Cruellyricisti likes this.
  16. Cruellyricisti

Yes, red dead... AWESOME title.

17. Cruellyricisti

Great concerns, and thanks for expressing them so level-headedly. Through the natural progression of community feedback, it's kinda come to the point where the further along you are, the easier it is to recoup from. So once you have an upgraded ship, or fully established base, with the right facilities, you could have say a team of your own scientist bring you back. But still be necessary to grab your gear. Once you've suited up in your armory for a reclamation.

18. Cruellyricisti

Yeah... This idea definitely needs some multiplayer rebalancing. Any suggestions?

19. Mukin

Mukin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the idea because I love the challenge and this would put a bit of fear in the player causing them to plan every single move but we are sure you want ALL of the player starbound maybe some just want to relax, then I would suggest this semi-perma-death difficulties highest in the play, perhaps in the Hard difficulty leaving permanent death in that hardcore.

Cruellyricisti likes this.
  20. leax256

leax256 Space Penguin Leader

1) how about an option? if you die you can either respawn like currently implimented or follow your suggestion
    2) forget the whole Idea for multiplayer. that's a bit indepth for a multiplaer anyway.