1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Dye Mod 2.1 (Enraged Koala)

Change the color of almost anything! (Previously Dyeing Bucket)

1. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

Fyi, the Fullmetal armor set has an unfinished dye list, missing two slots: white (or grey, I can't tell) and default/black (has black, but doesn't have a default, or vice versa). So that one messes up, but is easily fixable if one knows how to modify the dye list on the item files. Just thought it would be good to note, even if it's not really fixable without changing the Fullmetal set, or making the colorIndex's wrong to compensate for it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  2. Camo5

Camo5 Void-Bound Voyager

When I leave a server or travel to different worlds in a server, well mostly just server, the bucket disappears and I have to make a new one.

3. dw420

dw420 Void-Bound Voyager

(i was too lazy to quote the part of your post talking about the "looks" of the bucket etc.

We can share assets from my Dye Vat for the creation of your dyes....If you don't mind it looking similar to the pics there drop me a pm and i will .zip and sent you the most up to date files (it looks and animates much smoother atm - u can see its current appearance in the 2nd post).

I also want to "adapt" the finalized version (whenever you feel that is) in the crafting suite mentioned in the same thread ( "minor edit" it to handle any extra dyes/articles of clothing that might exist there and pre-package your mod with it).

PS.It's ok to say yes to my offer and no to my request. :)

Edit: forgot to mention that i can create a custom animated "bucket" for you...My initial concept is a bathtub that has a curtain submerged in it . The curtain/cape is absorbing dye from within the buthtub and is progressively getting dyed from yellow to red and back to yellow.

-Again- the graphics will be shared amongst the ACME suites equivalent and your mod (hopefully one and the same) . The reason is i am too lazy to come up with another concept for mine later down the road. :)

4. MrMagical

MrMagical Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think I've fixed it for the next version.

The server doesn't know what the bucket is, panics and removes it. I would suggest putting the bucket in your home world in single player where the server will never know about it.

You have my permission to modify and repackage any parts of this mod as long as the resulting mod has more or different features. I might not be able to help with everything, but I can answer questions.

Chucklefish have informed me that they are interested in integrating this mod into the next official patch. This would mean that there would be new art coming from Chucklefish's side. It also means that I'm trying to restrict this mod to their set of dyes.
    The fact that it's just a bucket also justifies a very low resource cost for it, which I consider to be a good thing at this stage. It's a complicated situation, so I need to think about some parts of your offer.

5. dw420

dw420 Void-Bound Voyager

That is excellent news, good to see the devs taking advantage of any mods that make breakthroughs through scripting. Don't hesitate to give me a shout if you need anything even if it is to be used as a placeholder until your mod becomes official content. :)

6. Mushie

Mushie Phantasmal Quasar

Wedding dress can't be dyed.
    Edit : Nor the mushroom hats.

7. MrMagical

The wedding dresses can be dyed, but it just changes the pink part. This is because of how Chucklefish set up the item.
    I could fiddle with it and actually make it dye the white part, but then what should happen to the pink part? What if someone just wanted to change the pink part and keep the white?
    Suddenly things get very complex and I'm not sure how to solve it with the limited capabilities that mods currently have.

The mushroom hats require some custom setup which I'm doing right now.

8. MrMagical

MrMagical updated Dyeing Bucket (multiplayer friendly) with a new update entry:

v1.3 - Mushroom buddies

Read the rest of this update entry...

9. Szympion

Szympion Void-Bound Voyager

Crushes on lauch. It says the greendye duplicate item found

Edit: ok fixed it by deleting greendye from the mod

10. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It doesn't work, I don't have the recipe.

11. MrMagical

It may be a conflict with another mod?

Please verify that it is installed correctly. You should find a file called dyeingbucket.modinfo by following this exact path:
    Starbound -> mods -> DyeingBucket -> dyeingbucket.modinfo

Note that the .zip file you downloaded needs to be extracted before it can work.

The bucket and dye recipes should be available on both the wooden crafting table and the robotic crafting table.

If none of the above works, please list the names of the mods you have installed.

12. Mushie

Mushie Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks, I'll test it out right away. :DD
    Edit : Everything works, thanks c:
    Edit 2 : Scientist glasses dosen't seam to change anything when they are dyed (atleast not black), tho they are dyeable.

13. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

DyeingBucket
    charactercreationmod
    Kokido
    madtulip
    modules-in-a-box
    ObjectTables
    SpawnableItemPack

14. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Could you include a preview of the painted item in the bucket gui so I can see what part of the armor will be dyed before using a dye? Some armors like outrider set only let the trim be recolored.

15. Findanother1

Findanother1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can't seem to see the bucket, I've installed it the way it is said. I dunno why i dont see it in my crafting table. Plus, I'm at the highest tier

16. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

I've taken a quick peek at this mod, and I noticed that it adds the new recipes to player.config, which only affects new characters. In order for me to be able to use this mod with an existing character, I had to tweak this mod so that it adds the new recipes whenever I collect a certain item. (In my case, I modded it so that I'd need to pick up a (robotic) crafting table to get the recipe for the dyeing bucket, which will, in turn, give me the recipes to make the various dyes upon picking that up.)

17. MrMagical

Without modifying the contents of the mod, I performed these steps without a problem:
    1. Uninstall Starbound and remove ALL Starbound files (after a backup of course).
    2. Install a fresh copy of Starbound (directly from Steam in my case).
    3. Start the game, create a new character and get far enough to place down a wooden crafting table. (The dyeing bucket was not craftable since the mod was not installed yet.)
    4. Install the mod.
    5. Restart the game and use the placed crafting table to make the dyeing bucket.

Since the mod works on a fresh install, with a character created before installing the mod, my method for merging new recipes with old ones must be working.

Here are some things you can try:
    A . Make sure that you're using the latest version of Angry Koala. (Yes, there are different versions of Angry Koala that each contain smaller patches and bugfixes but don't change the name)
    One way to do this is to get a fresh copy from an official source and install it.
    I am aware that some people have gotten their copies of Starbound from an non-official source (*cough*) or don't get small patches for other reasons. Then you're on your own.

B. Disable all other mods (put them in another folder).
    Mods may have conflicts. Some mods don't use the __merge directive for player.config, meaning it doesn't matter if I try to merge in my changes. (!!!)
    By using the merging system, I've made my mod compatible with the game itself and other mods that use the merging system.

C. Try making a new character and test just like I did.
    Create the character without having the mod installed and get far enough to make a crafting table.
    Then install the mod, restart and see if the new recipes show up on it.
    If this works, it's likely that the save data for your old character is corrupted, sorry.

I have a character that is many weeks old and I've never had a problem with the mod. I've also never used another method to merge the mod recipes with the normal ones. I really have no idea why it isn't working.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  18. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

Here's the code that I used to grant players the ability to craft dyeing buckets upon picking up a (robotic) crafting table:
    Code:
    {
      "__merge":[],
      "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" : [
        "dyeingmachine"
      ]
    }
    As simple as that. (As for adding in the new dyes, I just inserted the "learnBlueprintsOnPickup" code into the dyeing bucket's object file, and added in the various dye recipes in its array.)

19. dw420

dw420 Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if it has changed but i think player.config merging works only when you are below the tier introduced...and Findanother1 is on the last tier.

Shadows learnOnPickup suggestion doesn't have that issue because it unlocks everything at once ignoring tiers... :)

20. MrMagical

If I add a completely new recipe under tier1 and load a level 10 character, the recipe shows up. :unsure:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014