Downvote-Happy Reddit; Why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dwarfus, Jun 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dwarfus

Dwarfus Big Damn Hero

Anybody else here notice just how downvote-happy the Stardew Valley reddit is? Does anyone have any idea why that is? I'm asking here because I'm sure I would be mass-downvoted if I asked there. :catlol: Anyways, I just don't get it. Just today I posted something completely innocent on there and it was down to 67 percent within an hour. At that point I just deleted the post. It's not just me. I see it happen to plenty of other people, too.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

From what little experience I have in social media, it appears that every forum over time appears to develop its own...mood, tinto. The culture becomes self-reinforcing. So if you find one that's very negative, consider not posting there. Or maybe wear a kevlar vest if you do.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
      • MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with voting on /r/StardewValley. I'm not sure why you deleted something at 67% though since 2/3 of the votes were positive. What was your post about?

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

It's been like that for a long time. I have never had a Reddit account but I have visited the site numerous times for various reasons. Reddit, to me, is a very negative and sarcastic. I actually refuse to ever make an account because of the callous nature of their members. Don't get me wrong, I can handle just about any mean thing thrown at me physical or verbal. But they're literally there just to be negative and hurtful. I don't like Reddit at ALL.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

As far as I'm concerned, Reddit is only good for reading creepypasta stuff. I've never gone there for anything else.

• Dwarfus

Dwarfus Big Damn Hero

It was just a post about how google can't even spell Elliott's name right. If you search "stardew valley elliott" it'll say "did you mean stardew valley elliot?" Just another example I found. A completely innocent thread that is only 63 percent upvoted for some reason.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

It's not for "some reason." See my post, above. You posted in a media noted for its savagery. What are you seeking, here? An ear to complain in? A place to vent? Sure, fine.

Just don't expect people to say, "Who would have guessed...?" You put your feet in among the piranha. Getting them bitten off is sort of an expected followup, you know. Consider not making the same mistake, twice. Like the rest of humanity, including yours truly, make new ones. :D

• parabolic paradise

parabolic paradise Subatomic Cosmonaut

They're just anonymous downvotes, right? As long as the replies themselves aren't negative I personally wouldn't worry about it. When I posted a thread there I noticed the number kept changing up and down so frequently I wondered if the system had a weird glitch rather than people actually contributing to this value. :p

• Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

Why do you even care about something as utterly irrelevant as downvotes and upvotes?

• Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

OP requested this to be closed. So I am closing this.

Thread Status:
                      Not open for further replies.