Modding Discussion Don't even know where to start with this

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SoopaDerpcat, Mar 17, 2015.

1. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Basically for a practice mod, I was going to try and make a new set of Avian starter clothes based
    on a recent suggestion I posted, to try and get a hang of modding the game.

...the thing is, I have absolutely no idea where to even start. I intended to make it an additional
    set or two rather than replacing other clothes, but I simply have no idea what to do and I can't seem
    to find a tutorial on the subject.

What do I need help with? While I hate to admit it, everything except the spriting (and that's assuming
    no technical details overcomplicate that.)

2. VeggieSendPie

VeggieSendPie Subatomic Cosmonaut

These tutorials are a good place to start. clothes are made near the same way as armor so if you can apply what you learn from that you should be able to make custom clothing, if you still have trouble understanding how to write the code, just fetch an already existing clothing mod to compare with or take a look at the game's vanilla assets.

http://community.playstarbound.com/...g-basics-p1-editing-vanilla-files-v1-4.86970/
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...-tutorial-4-how-to-make-your-own-armor.46928/

3. shardshunt

shardshunt Cosmic Narwhal

unpack the .pac find the clothing currently in the game copy/past, respite, rename then; (easy= make a way to make a .recipe file and set it as a default blueprint), (easy/med= add to shop keepers), (med/hard= make so can be selected when creating character)

none of the methods require lua so shouldn't be too hard but all will need at least one file patch the first method is good practice for your first set but once you have that working if you wish to release the mod id recommend trying the last method.

4. SoopaDerpcat

Is there anything in particular I have to do to tell the game to register new files?
    It seems like a lot of moddable games require that.

5. GROVER CURES HOUSES

GROVER CURES HOUSES Void-Bound Voyager

Technically, you need exactly one file, <your_mod_name>.modinfo that contains at least the line {"name" : "a_name_of_sorts"}. Starbound will then attempt to load every valid file it finds in that folder and all its subfolders. In reality, any time you want to modify a file, you will need to create a <original_filename>.patch that describes the changes you want made. In your case, you will want to patch avian.species to include blueprints and starting clothes. Not patching will result in your file completely overriding the vanilla one, potentially causing other mods to malfunction if they also patched the same file.

6. shardshunt

try downloading a similar mod (my blocktable plus for example then unpack it ) in the root folder of my mod i have a modinfo file which tells the game about my mod.

i also have a recipe that allows my table to be crafted anywhere so feel free to have a look and play around

7. SoopaDerpcat

It's behaving quite strangely.

The item's name and description appear, but it's invisible and uncraftable
    and only obtainable by spawning it in. So it's clearly loading into the game, but
    not completely.

I double-checked and triple-checked to make sure the image file names matched
    the names I applied in the item's code. I don't get it.

8. shardshunt

can you create a download for the mod so far?
    looks like you haven't added to the item as a default blueprint or you havet mad a .recipe file if its not craft able and a lot of things could cause invisibility

9. SoopaDerpcat

10. VeggieSendPie

First of all, you should clean up your mod a little bit by putting everything in their appropriate folder structure within the mod folder.
    i.e. "modname/item/armor/pantaloons/<sprites and .frames(In most cases you don't really need the frames for clothing and armor from what I've seen) go in here>", "modname/species/avian.species", "modname/recipes/starter/spinningwheel/<recipies go here>".
    You can also make a "player.config.patch" at the root of the mod folder with the same code you put in the avian species file, I don't remember if this is required when it comes to race specific crafting, however it should make it work for every race at least if you wanted to test it.

shardshunt likes this.
  11. shardshunt

its always easiest to try and replicate starbounds folder system in your mod if you name a folder the same as it is in the pac file then it gets merged and if you name a file the same as it is in the pac it gets overwritten just like the windows default options.

12. SoopaDerpcat

What I don't get, though, is why SOME of the stuff (name, item type) work but others (icon, on-player sprite, recipe) don't.

13. shardshunt

its hard to even tell you that if you don't format your mod correctly

VeggieSendPie likes this.
  14. VeggieSendPie

Like Shardshunt said, format your mod properly like I mentioned in my previous reply and it should fix a few things as well as make things simpler to figure out in the future.
    Try using the mod without the frame files as they are probably not needed and if not set up properly could probably conflict with the on-player sprites.
    As for anything else not appearing correclty or at all, you would need to supply us with the files you omitted or at least show us the code for some of these said files in order for us to compare with what you supplied us. It would make things a lot easier for both parties and would help you a great deal.

15. SoopaDerpcat

What do you mean? The file I linked to is exactly what I've done up to this point, nothing more and nothing less.

Edit: Thaks, reorganizing and deleting the "frames" files seems to have worked. It still isn't selectable in character
    creation (and STILL isn't craftable for some reason) but at least it's visible!

Another edit: It turns out I had copied the blueprint adding code directly from another mod I was studying and
    had accidentally opened the file with a program with a wonky save feature, so the changes weren't saved.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  16. shardshunt

what you actually need is to put your reciper in the corrcet tables rcipe folder "basic" should do the trick

you need to make the recipe a defult blue print with a file called "player.config.patch" with as the code
    Code:
    [
    { "op" : "add", "path" :
    "/defaultBlueprints/tier1/-", "value" : {
    "item" : "********" } }
    ]
    replace the *'s with the items name

unless you just want the avians to make them in which case your fine

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  17. SoopaDerpcat

18. shardshunt

i tryed it it worked in admin mode but the avian defualt recipe thing didnt try making it craftable for all species

its not in the right folder it needs to be in a species folder

19. VeggieSendPie

My bad, thought you had more work done.

Also, might I ask which program you were using with the wonky save feature? I recommend notepad ++ unless that's what you were using.

20. SoopaDerpcat

Not really sure what you mean by "a" species folder, I tried renaming the "recipes" folder to "avian", and then
    I tried putting an "avian" folder in the "spinningwheel" folder, but neither worked.