DNA Mixer

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Sarzael, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Got the DNA from Hulk?

tacoman18 likes this.
  2. Sawongit

Sawongit Master Chief

Would there be away to take the affects of the dna mix away? If so, i like the sound of this!

Nike likes this.
  3. Leotamer

Leotamer Void-Bound Voyager

I approve, also this idea could work with my zoo concept : ).

4. Ainsley J

Ainsley J Aquatic Astronaut

I love the idea of mutating yourself and/Or other things and people, Maybe people/animals and plants? mix yourself with a photosynthesis gene and have yourself replenish heath overtime? or only in certain conditions.
    I definitely approve!

5. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Twice regeneration at day, none at night
    Oxxxxxx§::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Two edge sword :D

6. Excalibur

Excalibur Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the sound of this.

7. ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic Big Damn Hero

Splice your DNA with a Songbird: Have a chance to auto tame a monster after defeating it.
    Splice your DNA with a Mushroom: Melee attacks have a chance to poison.
    Splice your DNA with a Tree: Higher defense, and better HP and energy regeneration in sunlight.

8. Darknight

Darknight Void-Bound Voyager

It will be very nice if creatures with similar body types can give heirs, with a genetic system like the Mendel´s one (but with some differences, like the possibility of merge the colors). The worlds will have a great diversification (random mixed creatures at spawn).
    Slime example:
    3 Pures (red, blue, green) in order of genetic dominance.
    A red slime decides to reproduce with a green. It has 1/3 (random probability) to act the color merge algorithm resulting in a Yellow slime with new stats. Another way will alway produce green.

9. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah, how about mixing your DNA with the ones of the bosses? I can imagine myself being a 10 meters high octopus with 30 tentacles! Mhhh, now I just need a young girl~~

tacoman18 and gejiryu like this.
  10. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Lol... I dont think changes could affect character so much...

11. SnowyOwl

SnowyOwl Master Chief

Few additional options - obtaining of DNA samples from creatures might be done either without removing them from their natural environment and sampling on the spot or by transporting them to your base for more complex analysis. “Mixing” these into new DNA might be implemented as mini-game (tetris style :D ) with its own rules for inputs and outputs. Resulting DNA can be used for breeding in artificial chambers (which takes certain amount of time for the new creature to evolve from embryo, assuming that the game has inner global timer). Possibly, a quest for saving particular type of rare species on a planet from extinction, using this system.

12. Adib

Adib Aquatic Astronaut

i approve

13. darkmega

darkmega Phantasmal Quasar

Interesting proposition. I call that you should be able to get DNAs and possibly make like "hybrid" species to say increase the adaptability of a species to another type of life.

so say you want a lava planet with a lot of different species and plants and stuff (while still being volcanic) you could say take DNAs and stuff which are resistant to fire so you can make like plants that thrive in high heat, animals which live in lava or are resistant on it etc. The bounds of this are limitless to say the least but it'd be one heck of a lot of Variables, sprite types and effects to take into consideration.

Of course there have to be drawbacks and of course trail and error or perhaps negative effects to using DNA willy-nilly. For example over splicing things could make evil mutants which try to kill you. Over DNAing yourself could land you in the hospital wing for several weeks as they try to revert your body to normal cause you poisoned yourself by using DNA your body dislikes.

This said, if the homeworld of the player is randomized and hence so is the players adaptability this could play a vital role in DNA splicing to self. Of course cloning animals with DNA could be done in a lab, making super humans/animals is possible (think wielding two handed weapons with one hand so you can dualwield them?) or even sentry guns which can lock onto certain DNA signatures to only target certain things you don't want in your towns (a certain super hostile mob thats a pain in the ass for you?).

... *phew* I just did all that in one shot... I just think DNA mixer could be applied to all sorts of things and so hence we should all exhaust the possibilities... which are endless but in an inhibitive fashion (the drawbacks mentioned of over DNAing etc).

now I shall read everyone elses posts other than the ones I merely skimmed over, and already:

This. I approve of this fully. Especially with the DNA matching/minigame kinda thing. Cause being able to mix, make and take too simply will make stuff too easy. it needs a system with it... how about even... Finding bio cells left on fossils on planets that have turned barren and being able to ressurect special species you can only make through restoring those animals which have been extinct and are fossilized? :O :O :O it's fricking jurassic park in space. :rofl:

Creepy... but... somewhat viable... dunno what that'd do to your charisma level with the other people on your homeplanet thats apparently in in some way shape or form though.... but I don't think we'd want something that... drastic. would we?

Interesting... so like... crossbreeding/standard breeding with skill/stat carry overs? (kinda reminds me of the long but interestingly fun process of breeding, feeding and rebreeding chocobo's together in FF7 to make the ultimate racing chocobo :p)

I think this should be done with by mixing DNAs with contrasting effects or maybe an effect if you find is giving you a problem you could target the DNA and remove it within a set period of time otherwise it takes to much of a hold inside your body it becomes permanent and you gotta contrast mix it out instead. (mix to get fire immune and don't want it or it's giving you problems cause you find that fire immune something is not so hot on an ice planet? get some fire succeptability and you'll lose the immune cause they cancel each other out)

........ please tell me if I'm kinda overtaking. I've just got a hyperactive imagination and I like to over explore things enough to exhaust myself so I don't keep thinking about things. :p anyway, I might make a list of suggestions I'm stalking/powering up in my sig if I can figure out if spoiler tags exist....

14. Madmarlon

I guess you're right.:oops:

But here is a serious suggestion: How 'bout, being able to mix yourself with the DNA of a boss, but this would only last for 20 seconds?
    This would then be somewhat like a "rage mode", in which you could rape beat all enemies on screen!

15. darkmega

you mean like... triggerable special moves based on DNAs which evokes the wrath of a harvested boss to wreak havoc and hence destroy stuff? that kinda makes me think modern style platformers with screen nuking powers (Castlevania portrait of ruin dualcrushes or super smash brothers brawl transformation moves with final smashes).

Madmarlon likes this.
  16. Madmarlon

uhm... yes.

17. darkmega

ok then..... did I just lose you in my over-referenced train (of thought)? cause thats a rather short response. >_>

@Sarzael: anyway, Sarzael, I think we need a list of proposed features, cause threads can get big really quick and then it becomes a pain to know what has been thought of and what hasn't, and i think this kinda suggestion (with so much branching depending on how indepth you go) can go right off it's block without the right precautions... D:

18. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Woah Darkmega... That was epic...
    Anyways, i will try to make the list. (As soon they add an spoiler button)

19. darkmega

I like to think of it as venting all ideas in one go rather than waiting. but thank you just the same. :)

and indeed, I need that spoiler button so I can make a list of suggestion threads I support. cause already I've got about 5... stupid hyperactive imagination that can't stop suggesting/thinking about good things for the betterment of games cause I want to be a game designer myself. >_>'

20. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

If you want to support, you can use the banner and put it in your signature.