Derelict Ships

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Dirigible Tomato, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Dirigible Tomato

Dirigible Tomato Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How cool would it be to fly to a new system, only to find a derelict ship orbiting a nearby planet?

Kind of like a dungeon set inside a ruined craft; some rooms would have hull breaches and be airless and exposed to open space, some rooms might be armouries or ship hangars...

It could even lead to special events or side quests, like reactivating the ship's drive before it plummets to the planet below (only doing this now because you landed on it, of course) or powering up ancient weapons to fight off pirates or defend from meteor showers.

Derelict ships being stuff like this;
    [​IMG]
    {Xel'Naga Worldship; Starcraft 2}

Or this;
    [​IMG]

{The Cassini; Destiny}

I dunno, I just thought it'd be cool.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. TheApothecanary

TheApothecanary Starship Captain

This is a pretty neat idea.
    planet sized spaceship dungeons will be awesome when those are added as-well.

I kind of want derelicts to be creepy (i'm talking there was some horrible thing that happened on the ship sorta deadspace-ish (obviously not as scary though) and other things, experiments, abandoning to settle a planet etc.)) and you could find peoples personal logs and stuff.
    (they would be added to your codex like any other book in the game) you find out how the ship became a darelict by reading the logs.

DrFlashbang and Sgt_Hankey like this.
  3. RauschGames

RauschGames Tentacle Wrangler

This is wonderful. I have a major "The Stars, My Destination" thing going on in my head right now. Let's get this suggestion in-game!

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  4. Dirigible Tomato

Not as scary? Pfft. I bet a game like this could pull off some scary effects.

I wouldn't want the same "creepy unknown event killed erryone" thing on every derelict though.
    Some might've had life support failures. Some might have had reactor problems and would have had to be abandoned due to radiation.
    Maybe you can find old crashed escape pods on a nearby planet, or even a settlement of people, or ruins of settlements destroyed by the same thing that forced the crew to abandon ship in the first place.
    Hell, maybe they all ascended into a different reality.

The trick is figuring out scenarios that would lead to a ship being derelict, like attacks, abandoning ship, experiments, radiation, diseases (which being in space, a lot of races wouldn't have immunity to if it was newly discovered).

Glad you guys like my idea. Lets get these suggestions rolling.

5. Medkit

Medkit Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think this would be a great idea! Make it a bit of a challenge, perhaps? Angry residents inside or stranded ships that are simply out of fuel and power.. Could even introduce crashed remains on planets with an orbiting derelict?

Sort of reminds me of the sky islands from Terraria. But much, much higher above the ground level.

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  6. Dirigible Tomato

Give them fuel, they give you rewards?

Or hell, think of it like an asteroid field, with bits of the ship floating outside the main section. You gotta jump to those bits and pick parts up, then bring em back and get lootz.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Sgt_Hankey and Warboss_Spriggs like this.
  7. Medkit

Ohhh! That's a brilliant idea! I never thought about making it a quest! That'd be a real neat idea. Have a stranded ship floating a few hundred blocks off the planet and speak with an alien questgiver to retrieve fuel for them! The higher the quadrant level, the more exclusive the fuel!

And that'd solve the issue of where the derelict ships would be, if they could be found amongst asteroid belts.

Also, still supporting crashed ship wreckage on nearby planets. Not that it could be arranged in such that if an Asteroid belt is nearby, the planet has wreckage. Just another random generation for planets. I'd love to explore bits of a destroyed ship for goodies. Maybe even survivors that you have to bring food too!

DrFlashbang and Warboss_Spriggs like this.
  8. kenata

kenata Starship Captain

This would be a great addition to moon or asteroid biomes in general. I can imagine showing up on some barren moon only to find a stranded apex ship with a few survivors.

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  9. Medkit

That'd be so damn cool.

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  10. Foreseer

Foreseer Aquatic Astronaut

Love the idea, it would fit right in with:

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  11. Badprenup

Badprenup Ketchup Robot

Definite support. They could add a bunch of features to this like being able to special codex items that explain what happened (randomly taken from a large list), or they could have blueprints or 3D Printer schematics that you can find only on those ships.

If it wasn't 4 am I would have a ton of stuff to say on this. Give me a couple days to think.

Sgt_Hankey and Medkit like this.
  12. Dirigible Tomato

Spaceship dungeons would be cool, but with these derelict ships, they should be shaped like ships, larger than yours, but still shaped like a spacecraft.

13. Medkit

I'd love to see some rare 3D printable items and blueprints out of this!

Could be neat to find used tools or something!

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  14. Medkit

Yeah, not a huge fan on the planet-sized ships. But I'd certainly support massive space-ship-like stations and giant destroyers and such.

15. RauschGames

RauschGames Tentacle Wrangler

Loving the exclusive blueprints idea up there. And how about a scenario where the goal isn't to fuel the ship? What if it is truly abandoned? I'm thinking in those, your main lootable would be locked up in a storage crate or personal locker and it's your quest to explore the wreckage and find the code. Could be in the main hull, could also be out in one of the outlying pieces of the ship that you'd have to grapple to.

Also, what about scenarios where you begin investigating the derelict only to have a ship full of marauders/pirates come along while you're inside. I see potential for stealthy escape or a bloodbath, depending on your playstyle.

16. TheApothecanary

TheApothecanary Starship Captain

Or with no survivors *evil snicker*

Lots of cool ideas here.
    I approve of all of them.

I got one:

Darelict merchant ship event, it has a ton of pixels in it, of course you need to code to unlock the safe, which you have to figure out via the logs on the ship.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  17. Dirigible Tomato

Definitely an enjoyable change of pace from killing everything.

18. Medkit

But of course! Who wouldn't love to come across a bashed up old ship, left rusting in an Asteroid belt? Might aswell drop in and loot, unless however, somebody has snuck in and is defending the loot..

19. Medkit

A gravity-involved jumping puzzle would be neat as well!

Sgt_Hankey likes this.
  20. Dirigible Tomato

Waaay ahead of ya.

Sgt_Hankey likes this.