December 5th - You must find balance!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Dec 6, 2014.

1. goldniko1

goldniko1 Void-Bound Voyager

Will ammo ever exist? Maybe some sort of ammo could be used until you get energy guns? Also, can Energy production be affected by weather? So for example, could you acquire a solar panel hat that generates energy, but at night it stops, stopping any energy production, or you could use kinetic or nuclear, rather than 'magical' energy regeneration? Because i really don't want such a sci-fi looking game to start having magical side effects.

2. Mystify

Mystify Void-Bound Voyager

The change is claimed to be a buff to ranged combat.

3. Higuera

Higuera Cosmic Narwhal

(Nope,because if it's night time and you're fighting off mobs,you're pretty much screwed unless they add in consumable energy items that cause regen for a while,as for ammo...)
    (That would be just plain tedious grinding,every type would need a type of ammo and you'd either have to mine for days for a decent amount,or explore much more for a few clips)

4. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

To say nothing of the wasted inventory space carrying Ammo

5. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

How about armor or armor mods to make guns, techs or passive effects (Regenerating shields, health regeneration field, higher jump/faster movement) more effective? I think that would complement this new energy system quite well, allowing you to further customize and specialize your playstyle.

It should be an improvement really.

Faster regeneration overall means you can get more shots out by pacing yourself. Or you can go for consecutive shots and empty your energy completely then be unable to use your guns until it's regained, but have a full energy bar once it does.

Guns could still use energy. It's just that you delay the drain of it until you reload. So you can shoot a magazine while still using your techs and only reload (And possibly empty your energy bar) once you're in a good spot to do so.

I think you guys should look up the game Global Defence Force (Or it's PSP remake EDF 2 Portable) or Earth Defense Force 2025. The Pale Wing character in that uses a similar energy system, which has one energy bar shared between her jetpack and all her weapons, which use either energy directly from the energy bar when firing or upon reloading a weapon. Mixing both weapon types (Direct energy when you have energy for it, reload to fall back on when you run out or want to fly) and alternating between shooting and jetpacking is key to using the character effectively.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  6. Lintton

Lintton Guest

How would one depict the zoom of a sniper rifle? Because we're talking about seeing past the edge of the screen at the cost of not seeing around your general vicinity(like with a scope) how would it translate in 2d combat?

I also think that the spawn/load distance would have to be looked at by the devs before we can truly need a zoom function.

7. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

In regards to a sniper zoom, I believe one can pan the camera by holding the Ctrl key and moving the mouse to the desired edge of the screen. In the case of a sniper rifle, my best guess would be that the panning would probably be increased.

Mystify likes this.
  8. Ttamage

Ttamage Big Damn Hero

That sounds a little better. I find it hard to battle with jump boosters and guns feeding off the same energy pool. Couldn't the jumping perks refill once you touch the ground. In many fights I find I shoot all my energy and can't escape when the monsters attack because my energy is depleted. So really the guns are pretty useless because they cost serious mobility, and seriously they suck down energy way too fast to even be relevant. I stick to melee weapons because they have unlimited power and sometimes have ranged attacks that do not cost a thing even though one would think swinging a weapon around like a crazy person would make the character tired.

Also I really do like using the butterfly booster and having it able to refill while flying, this makes exploring mostly barren hazardous environments possible, at least until there are speeder bikes laying around the planet ready for some joy rides![DOUBLEPOST=1418064169][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Totally agree!!![DOUBLEPOST=1418064281][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Their could be universal ammo, or a limited amount of types of ammo like Destiny. Heavy, special, primary ammo.

9. Oceanity

Oceanity Void-Bound Voyager

Regarding ammo vs energy, I think it'd be cool to have a collection of guns that have a virtually unlimited supply of physical ammo that are compromised with limited magazine size and various reload times and a collection of more futuristic guns that draw from the energy bar.

For instance, guns such as the Novakid's revolver could have six-shot magazines with a medium reload time, assault rifles could have higher magazine clips with slightly longer reload times, snipers could be either bolt action requiring a reload after each shot or have very small magazine. This could make guns less "if it has higher DPS it's automatically better" and more "is the increase in damage worth the decrease in clip size or reload speed" while not adding a layer of tedium in ammo management.

On the other end of the spectrum, laser/energy based weapons would have the downside of drawing from the same pool as techs and would require energy management, but would effectively grow better as you gained more energy.

I think it'd be a nice compromise and would lead to some interesting dual-wielding possibilities.

Lecic likes this.
  10. porcelain

porcelain Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am half and half on this change. I don't think it will be helpful at all or a buff.

But perhaps maybe add ammo? Make separate inventory slots for the ammo so it doesn't waste space. Or a craftable pouch that you can put ammo into.
    Or separate bars for techs and guns. Or make techs use no energy but put them on cooldowns?

Ttamage likes this.
  11. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I'm guessing that implementing a separate source of energy or bullets for guns would give an unfair edge for ranged combatants. They would have range and mobility going for them. It would enable gunners to just kite everyone around while pelting them with bullets.
    And even if you had to stop in order to reload, well, you could just not reload and book it until it's safe enough to do it. Rinse and repeat. It would become a battle of atrition. Whoever has more bullets/healing items wins.

But there is the risk that this system does the exact opposite and cripples ranged combat significantly. After all, what's the point of calling that play style "accelerator" if the one with better mobility is the melee build (separator?)?

I'll say this much though: guns had better have improved battle performance for this to be worth it. Because, even if you can sustain constant firing with a disciplined trigger, they currently do too little damage and cause no other effects to be able to kill anything before it gets to you without emptying the energy bar...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  12. BloodyFingers

That's why I said ranged weapons needs an overhaul as well. Specially in how much damage they can do and other status effects, such as slowdowns. Maybe have the shotgun deliver a blast that knock enemies back.

And then, with ammo, you have the same situation as with food. It won't be that hard to hoard them, will it? And items can stack up to 1000 units per slot. I don't think it'll occupy that much space.

Whiie and Ttamage like this.
  13. Ttamage

Ttamage Big Damn Hero

And then it freezes them!

BloodyFingers likes this.
  14. porcelain

porcelain Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I actually like this system. Now, I haven't really used techs with it but I did play with the nightly a bit and it doesn't seem to cripple guns at all. The starter rifle for Novakids two hit everything so you could kill about two to three enemies before running out of energy. The pistol takes a few hits to kill things but doesn't really take up too much energy. Now I haven't tried other guns but I feel they would work the same. I don't know how much energy techs take out of the bar though.

But I agree on what you said with the bullets. I see how that would be really bad with PvP now. Though I'm pretty sure they buffed the gun damage but I can't say for sure since I never really used guns that much. I'm more melee if anything. All I know is that I didn't feel crippled and even though it was challenging I wasn't in a huge danger when the bar was recharging. Even with mobs around.

15. BloodyFingers

Two hit kills? That's what I wanted to hear! And pistols causing less damage with lower energy consumption is acceptable too. This way I have another excuse to double-wield them. Now all I need confirmed is how shotguns behave.

Hoo boy howdy! my character is going to be such a badass...

16. AgileWolf

AgileWolf Void-Bound Voyager

Wait, no more infinite flying to space with tech? :cry:
    Before, regeneration was fast enough to rapidly tap and still barely lose energy but now you'll have to expend almost all your energy then stop and fall for awhile... This might not work due to the acceleration when falling. :confused:

Ttamage likes this.
  17. Ttamage

Ttamage Big Damn Hero

I know I really liked that ability too!

18. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so basically, I can no longer use the bubble boost to fly around planets or to the asteroid layer

there better be a substitute flying thingy in the future or I'mma be pissed because planetary surveys are a chore on foot

19. BloodyFingers

omgwheee.png

Sorry, this isn't any more effective than what whe currently have. But I couldn't help myself...

20. KazeSkyfox

KazeSkyfox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I find it impossible to be annoyed when the $#%&ing Glooskap is right in front of me and having a flying upgrade for it would be totally awesome if ever possible

off-topic but I want that game so badly it hurts sometimes