December 5th - You must find balance!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Energy lock sounds a lot like traditional "reloading," and I'm inclined to think that that is good.

It'll be interesting to see how the balance plays out regarding guns+mobility techs. I guess it sort of makes sense that a powerful ranged attacker should have somewhat limited mobility- otherwise they could just kite for eternity, Can't wait to see how it feels.

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Royal_Starlord

Royal_Starlord Big Damn Hero

Force barrier tech!
    It's a passive tech that absorbs an amount of damage relative to the armor tier currently worn. Once the barrier is gone, the player receives normal damage till the energy meter starts regenerating and restores the barrier.

Or something something. :p

Sounds like a good idea for a passive tech to be honest.

Shadaw likes this.
  3. LordSire

LordSire Void-Bound Voyager

I like how the game is shaping up.

However, there is one thing in my mind that the game lacks that would cement in my find the game is truly worthy of being called done in any sense of the word. It's a simple concept that makes immense sense for the technology level the game has, from human ingenuity to even the low tech feel to the Glitch.

Elevators.

In a game that has stairs and teleporters, but no moving platforms is pretty jarring. Sometime I just want to enjoy the ride a teleporter can't provide, but stairs aren't meant for a grand explorer all the time either, plus I'm not a monkey (sorry Apex) so jumping everywhere is a bit beneath me.

Once elevators show up, then I know the game is on the path to hitting it's full potential.

4. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I would have prefered the "reload" system, where guns have a built in "magazine" modifier, dictating how many shots it can hold. When you reload it, it takes all the energy from your pool to fill the entire (or as much as it can) magazine. Then, your gun has sort of a separate energy pool of its own that doesn't regenerate until you manually reload and drain a large chunk of your energy (based on tier, anyway) to reload the gun.

5. Dinosocks

Dinosocks Pangalactic Porcupine

Every time somebody tells me this game was abandoned i get the urge to cause severe damage...

Keep it up :D

6. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

Excited for the changes to be solidified into a stable update. But not to tell you how to do your jobs and all but you should look at how bad you are getting reviewed on steam. That is going to hurt you because of the misunderstandings people have about game development. If at all possible try to start the new year with a stable update early on (like January) it will really help with the community moral and likely will encourage new sales.

7. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Any chance of finite durability on digging tools biting the dust? :pwease:

8. kaffekane

kaffekane Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I never knew about this trick ever, so it's not going to have much of an impact for me. However, this makes using those high-damage high-cost slow-rate rifles worth something. You can pace the shots at least a bit slower than they are normally fired, and just develop a way that keeps your energy from really running out. True, it's less overall damage over a period of time, but when you're staring at trying to keep damage consistent, why not?

I'm going to have to check out the nightly build (again) and feel how it works for myself.

9. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

@RamenGaiden very well said! I use that playstlyle for building too, just place or destroy entire mountains by using butterfly tech at the right time....

Even the combat is, as you perfectly said, so free and fun that way, that it would be another obstacle to overcome - so "Hungerbar" goes and "Energybar" comes?

Everything else: Plants, world and dungeon generation and so on is all nice\understandable\well done, but as someone pointed out before that "Zelda - Karrotsystem" would be really logical for weapons but not really for a tech like Bubbleboost\Butterlytech...

Maybe you could think about some kind of Solution for those of us who would really miss the "making a joke of a boss\nps (i had much fun with the avians protecting the bigger temples - shoothing like crazy when flying over them xD

Possible Solutions: The "Fracking Flora" mod introduces a energybackpack für more\higher energy-\regen
    Any kind of Food, batteries;

@LordSire These may not be "the Thing" but they "can" do the job:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/graviton-elevators.1951/

Best transportation for long distances "on a planet", like up to the atmosphere or down to the core in my opinion:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/planetside-teleporters.1031/

Zael likes this.
  10. DarkZombie

DarkZombie Title Not Found

Ahh... that animated gif reminded me of Louis l'amour cowboy books!
    NovaKids are my new favourite!

Even though I payed $15 for this game... I have played more than any game so far!

11. Sh0elace

Sh0elace Phantasmal Quasar

I want that rifle.:)

12. nours77

nours77 Sandwich Man

Before energy charging all the time and now there is a cooldown before, that is your new system? the weapon power down because energie ? for all weapon ? is it not rather a simplify... and a big character power down in same time.
    the easy way to make tier as usual... (edit it will not exploring, find the power or the monster and study for get the power. it will NO you will not powerfull before fight a lot and it will be hard if i hunderstand right..... (the sandbox begin to look to a ridiculous action game... (not very interesting, but a lot of skin collectible)))

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  13. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please stay on topic, thank you.

14. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Subatomic Cosmonaut

Still no fan of guns and tech using the same bar. Stil no fan of there being no real resource usage in the whole thing so far.
    But that at least sound better than the old system.

Shadaw likes this.
  15. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Personally I like not having to waste inventory slots on ammo items. >_>

16. Bad Karma

Bad Karma Subatomic Cosmonaut

That's mighty fine.
    I'd still argue though that ammo items would help to add some sort of complexity to the game and some actual hurdle we'd be able to tackle through some means. It's as always a question of how well it's done. But the whole idea of having 2 hard-limits on the DPS of a ranged weapon, of which one also cuts into the usage of technics, just feels strange to me.
    But i'm not even saying it needs to be something like actual ammunition. Another energy bar for weapons, whichs maximum could be increased through different means than armor, would be fine for me.

guyverlord and Shadaw like this.
  17. Witness

Witness Giant Laser Beams

Given the enemy/weapon balance is exactly some of the main issues I've mentioned I have with the game at the current stage of development, I'm very happy to read that some improvements in that direction are being made. Much appreciated.

Other than that, I do recall ammo-requiring weapons being a thing plenty of people asked for since the earliest versions of the game publicly available. I must say that I don't see a particular problem with devteam adding such. In fact, it would be a very nice alternative to energy system - and by 'alternative', I mean an option, with current energy weapons staying as they are for those preferring them.

But I don't see why some higher 'level' player should be denied ability to sink his overabundance of pixels into a a box full of bullets for his gun. Shouldn't be hard to balance either - the way people usually go with full auto barrage, sloppy gunman will go through plenty of ammo/money for ammo quickly. And certainly some guns, especially those based on real-world firearms (like Novakid's revolvers) would really seem a lot cooler with a need for reload, at least to me.

Lastly, good point was raised about enemies having infinite energy for their guns, taking no breaks when at range, just shooting and shooting. It would use some fine-tuning.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Caelann likes this.
  18. CoralToast

CoralToast Master Chief

So... How Floran race ability will work with that system?

19. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

Been ages since I last posted.

Anyway, what I wanted to say was that while at first, when the game went into early access, the developers (after the initial burst, at least) started to seem quite... Incompetent would be too harsh, but something like that. Good ideas and intention and all, but lacking experience and capability, both when talking about tying the mechanics together in an interesting way and working effectively.

However, looking at the updates and posts back then, and comparing them to the ones now, it seems like they have improved by a huge amount, and it seems like they might be capable of completing what they've started after all. If back then I would have hesitated buying anything by the same team, now it looks like they got the hang of it, and I would trust them once again (provided they actually finish Starbound).

At least, that's just what it looks like to me. I might be completely mistaken either way.

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

@Tea Mate: amazing what a year of experience can look like, innit?

Tea Mate likes this.