December 12th - Balance in all things!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey-hey-hey! Wait a little moment.
    Come to think, all races will receive a Two Handed broadsword while Novakids will get a Pistol and a Rifle, by what it seems.
    Why not make the beggining weapon type be racial based then? Like Avians begin with a Spear and a Bow and Glitch begin with a Crossbow and Broadsword?

mewfan151, Whiie, Exxil3d and 4 others like this.
  2. Kurozaiaku

Kurozaiaku Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well you certainly impersonate it better than most americans.. xD

Type1Ninja likes this.
  3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Oh, on-topic:

Yeah, I feel bad about seeing other Apexes die at their dying breaths, regardless of how cool they looked. Though, if ever, they could have taze me and be taken to their Thought Reassignment, once I hit 10% HP.

4. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

The .modularstem files in the tree assets contain info on the tree. In this file, you can change tree drops.

Kawa, Dunto and Hatsya Souji like this.
  5. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Thanks mate! I think, I should start working on that for my mods. Let those birch trees drop birch logs, then to be reshaped as Birch Planks (there had to be a slight variation from the normal wooden planks though)

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

One issue [ since it was not mentioned ] I see becoming a possible problem is movement techs.
    If energy based techs are on a static decrease. High energy adding armors would make Gun + movement tech far better than any meele + movement tech combination.

I think another method of balancing would be a slower gun switch + decrease amount of movement when equipped with a gun compared to a meele weapon.
    So a gun user would only get 65% efficiency per distance as compared to a meele user.

Exxil3d, sansy and Hatsya Souji like this.
  7. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

I really do hope the difficulty curve in progression is as smooth as you say. Before, difficulty had a strange balance where it was both ridiculously hard and ridiculously easy at the same time.

In the old system, you would arrive into the new tier of planet with hilariously underpowered gear and would have to essentially avoid fights while you try to make that tier of armor. Then you made that tier of armor and you could oneshot everything and nothing could really hurt you too much. Then you got to the new tier where your new gear is once again hilariously underpowered and the cycle begins all over again.

Ideally, the gear you craft at any specific tier should prepare you to battle through the NEXT tier.

8. Rexxar_F3

Rexxar_F3 Space Spelunker

@guyverlord you made my day :laugh:

Also, cool changes, hope to feel that balance with my own hands pretty soon ;);):poke:

9. Hyeroshi

Hyeroshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Gunswords? Gunswords.

10. Tuesday's Eyebrow

Tuesday's Eyebrow Phantasmal Quasar

While you do have a good point there, I say common sense because they're things that people SHOULD know just by rubbing two brain cells together. Like someone asking how Batman could have been born if his parents were dead... That kind of stuff... Except apparently not as obvious to the general populous. So I guess a better phrase would have been "discerning what should have already been obvious" rather than "common sense", but then, what kind of crazy non-lazy white person would I be then? ;)

Kawa likes this.
  11. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

And how exactly are the non-Novakids supposed to GET guns appropriate for their level, again?

Randomly dropped guns almost always suck, and you don't seem to be doing much to change this...

Whiie and Pingeh like this.
  12. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

I was worried when I heard that monsters killed you even faster now, but I heard from a dev that the new goal is that you should be able to take 4 hits without armor from a monster. And that sounds good to me. :)

I would recommend that in future balance updates, you guys share this kind of information so people don't get too upset speculating about what exactly your balance targets are. Something like "Before, you were meant to be able to take 6 hits from a monster without armor. Now, you should be able to take 4 hits."

I've seen people freaking out that they're gonna get killed in 2-3 hits, or even just one-shot by monsters, so it'd be good to let people know that's not really gonna be the case.

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Hold on, bluecollarart. I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but people here will always get upset speculating. Always.

14. Prop

Prop Subatomic Cosmonaut

(Note: this post is somewhat off topic)

You know what I would like to see for starbound? Some form of AI followers/crewmates. You can already spawn NPCs, but it would be awesome if you could have them explore/fight/whatever with you.

Also, we need some sort of tech that summons exploding robot drones to run at enemies as an attack.

Ignify, Type1Ninja and Kawa like this.
  15. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

... Except for that they should have friendly fire off.
    What's that, Lydia? I've marked you for death?
    OHNODRAGONLYDIACOMEBAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Or, even better, MC Wolves:
    NOT THE LAVA PIT
    WHY DO ALL MY PETS HAVE FIREPLACE OBSESSIONS

So, yeah.
    +1 to you if you can tell me what game the first one is from.
    Or maybe not, as that should be relatively easy.

Kawa and Hatsya Souji like this.
  16. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

We also need the ability to toggle hitting NPCs. I'm tired of trying to help a village kill a few monsters, only to hit one of their kind and it result in me having to kill all the guards.

Jafetgx and Type1Ninja like this.
  17. roadrashh

roadrashh Void-Bound Voyager

The balance is all wrong. Everything needs to be re-done. Know why? Because at this point in time, the game just isn't "Terraria-y" enough.

Just kidding. Making a joke out of the people who associate every 2-D game with Terraria. The changes look good so far!

18. Prop

Prop Subatomic Cosmonaut

First one is from skyrim.

Type1Ninja likes this.
  19. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Yes. Good job on having basic game-cultural literacy. ^^

20. Prop

Prop Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hey, off topic again, but is there a specific thing I have to do to change my avatar? It hasn't been updating, and whenever I try to change it, it just reverts to what I currently have.