1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Damuranashi's Amateur Pixel Art

Discussion in 'Art' started by Damuranashi, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Damuranashi

Damuranashi Existential Complex

Well, the images are double sized, they are smaller... that count?

2. On the contrary, you show an expert (and I mean expert) skill with countour lines. Your concept of lighting is complete as well. With the mastery of these two techniques, you've already got a consistent style that lacks in no aspect. This is not idle compliment. I cannot stress how impressive it is for an amateur to instantly understand how to use these techniques so well. You're going places, Damuranashi, with such an inertia that nothing can stop you.
    But Fresh is right. The next step is to employ more techniques, starting with a concentration on the smaller scales of pixels. Heck, I think you should get Muxuan to mentor you or something. I wish you luck on your Journey, bro.

3. Damuranashi

...Verga...
    I never expected more than a "Hey, that bunch of squares looks nice" Thanks for motivate me. And I'm curious... who is Muxuan?

4. Damuranashi

5. Yes, essentially.

6. Damuranashi

I tried it. And I SUCK at spriting.

7. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

That's because it takes skill at the pixel level. I am terrible at drawing, and as such I cannot do large scale things like you can. However, I'm good at the pixel level, so sprites come easy for me. It comes with practice. Small sprites will force you to think about "well what if I change this pixel? What will that do? What if I increase the size by two pixels? What if this color is slightly darker/brighter?"
    Then as you get more sophisticated in what the pixel can do on a small scale, you can start using it on larger scale. You'll have smooth lines, texture and miniscule detail, you'll have a lot more at your disposal to make your images really stand out more than they do now.
    I started editing Fire Emblem sprites. Maybe that doesn't interest you. Maybe edit Megaman sprites. Make them cooler. Make them more colorful. Make them bigger and retain their same look, just with more detail. Things like that.

8. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

No Zero?!
    >:l
    Those are really great!:up:

pigrocket likes this.
  9. Damuranashi

Ok, I'll try it.

Soon he will be here, don't worry.

Ado and pigrocket like this.
  10. Damuranashi

I know this has nothing to do with "art" or "pixels", but there are three donkeys outside my house in this precise moment.

11. Damuranashi

ANOTHER triple post. I made this because I was bored.

Flash Man.png

BlastRed, Ado and pigrocket like this.
  12. MoonyJello

MoonyJello Existential Complex

It looks like you're tracing the references. Are you just looking at them or are you going over them?

13. Damuranashi

Looking at them.

14. imrevned

imrevned Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Damuranashi creates his pixel art from copying an existing image, so he isn't showing that much skill in regards to contour lines and lighting (no offense, Damuranashi).

For example: http://megamanx2000.site90.com/images/megamanbattlenetwork/bass.jpg
    http://www.freewebs.com/apstuff2/shadowmanEXE.jpg

15. Damuranashi

16. Yeah yeah. That's why he needs to work on actually drawing the pose and deciding where the lighting goes. He's still an amateur. But no, those lines are great.

17. Damuranashi

What do you people mean by lines? The outlines?

18. Yeah you know how to not make curves look terrible with pixels.

19. FreshSheet

FreshSheet Pangalactic Porcupine

The accuracy and overall smoothness of the lines that make up the image. So mostly the outlines. But there are lines that are not outlines.