Modding Discussion creating new monsters

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SophieKitty, Oct 12, 2015.

1. SophieKitty

SophieKitty Void-Bound Voyager

so i didnt find a tutorial for this, so i kinda ask if anyone could help
    but ill go on searching stuff just in case i find something somehow lol
    sure i checked out how the other mods are made, but ".animation" as file format? thats not easy to work with for me lol
    ill just go check everything from the start i guess, i bet its such a simple thing.....

so my idea is
    i wanna create a mod which adds custom enemies into the game, like that one monster hunter raptors mod, not replacing but adding to it

ill search around a bit for the start, will update this if i find something or when someone replies ;)

----edit---
    win7 ... cmd cant find directiories for the unpacker thingy
    and the unpacker program which i found on the tutorials thread, doesnt seem to unpack anything o_O
    i wonder what i do wrong lol

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

3. SophieKitty

oh yey that one works!
    well i been modding lots of games, terraria, skyrim for example, and i was in a game-dev team, so i know a little lol
    just that its always weird to get to a new game and not being sure where to start xD
    then its like "im sure ill pick it up when i start somewhere" yet i have problems with the start hahaha

4. The | Suit

Ya in that case you should have no issues at all.
    I was more worried you had no experience and were jumping into the deep end of the pool.

Long story short - extensions in most part don't play any role besides being descriptive.
    There are 2 types of monsters types you should be looking at
    Unique
    Random

Unique of course use unique sprites -
    While random is made by combining various parts.

Your best place to start is in the monsters \ unique folder.
    Make a carbon copy of an existing file and make the necessary changes as you see fit.

Start simple with one change at a time and use admin commands to test it out
    http://starbounder.org/Spawn_Monster_Command

In starbound the giraffe_storage folder has a starbound.log file which will indicate the error and its general location.
    More info in my guide here: http://community.playstarbound.com/...ors-fixing-most-problems-yourself-v1-1.69198/

The animation file is nothing to worry about.
    All it does is dictate variousd actions which is used by the associated lua behavioral files.

The lua behavioral files are referenced in the monster type file.
    So if you want to add in more actions - you will either need to rerefence your own lua files.
    The reason you want to avoid editing the vanilla lua behavioral files is because - if the new actions don't exist in the old monsters - it will just cause the monsters to stall or instantly die.

Finally to make your monster spawn naturally it needs to be first added to the spawner.config in the root folder as well as adding the spawn group into the appropriate biome file.

==

If you are facing any particular issue just respond back with your starbound.log and what ever you did which could have caused it.

==

Edit:

If you need a crash course in modding check out my modding ebook -
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/unofficial-modding-ebook.2930/

5. SophieKitty

okay, thinks are pretty clear now, but on every monster it says "touch damage", is that the damage they do with the attacks? or did i pick poisonous monsters lol
    other than that
    thaaanks! it was a great help

6. The | Suit

Touch damage is physical contact of the hit boxes- damage on attacks is based on the projectiles.
    Almost all damage on the game is applied based on projectiles regardless of it being melee or range, with very few exceptions.