Modding Help Creating a set of skins for the existing Races?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by RedArch, Jan 7, 2017.

1. RedArch

RedArch Void-Bound Voyager

How would I be able to create a set of skins for each of the races? Similar in line to the mods like Novaskin, Sleeker Glitch Chassis, and Detailed Species? If anyone could help me by explaining what all would need to be done to create these it would be nice. I don't want to add in anything new entity wise. Just make new textures to put over existing ones.To anyone who does help thank you!

2. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is incredibly simple to do!
    I'm going to assume that you want to make it as a mod, and that you dont have any modding experience yet, and that you have yet to unpack your assets.

When mods are loaded the mod files are overlayed onto the default files, any files that have identical folder locations and names WILL OVERWRITE THE DEFAULT ONES.
    This is how you will accomplish what you need, you will create your sprite sheets and put them into the proper location with the proper name so that yours overwrite the default files. In your case those files are found in the /humanoid directory.

You will find it useful to unpack your assets (http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/how-to-successfully-pack-and-unpack-pak-files.66649/).
    And to get started your files should go into /mods/<unique name>/humanoid/...etc.

RedArch likes this.
  3. RedArch

Thank you for explaining it! I have unpacked the files before but that was months ago unfortunately and my game recently stopped working so I had to do a clean reinstall. The only problem I had was that oddly enough certain files wouldn't appear in the unpacked folder. Such as the avian Respawn animation.

4. IHart

This is very common. You need to wait an extra minute before closing the command window. It always looks like it is done before it actually is.

RedArch likes this.
  5. RedArch

Wow really? I didn't know that. Thank you very much for the response! All your replies have been quite helpful.

IHart likes this.
  6. RedArch

I can't seem to get the files to unpack...any suggestions to help?

7. IHart