Modding Help creating a new particle (found solution)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by dangerbyrnes, Dec 14, 2013.

1. dangerbyrnes

dangerbyrnes Orbital Explorer

Hello, i would like to create a new particle effect for a weapon that i am creating, but ive run in to a snag regarding creating the particle. i've used the particle daggerblue.particle as a base(Particle used from a fully charged bow), copied it and placed it in a particles folder, inside my mods folder, then renamed it to beam.particle. but for some reason, whenever the particle is supposed to be spawned the game crashes.

i figured the problem may be that there is a file that needs to reference the new particle name, but i cannot find such a file.

here is the specific part of the debug log where the error occurs.

i have made sure that the file directory is correct, i have tried different names, copying other particles as a base, and no matter what a new particle seems to crash the game.

any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: i figured out the problem. i also needed to make an effectsource file for the particle. i found daggerblue.effectsource in the effects folder and made a copy called beam.effectsource. now it works.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  2. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

Maying showing us your file would help? :/

3. dangerbyrnes

edited the op

4. tifel100

Can you put the bow that you're using it on too?

Putting these on a hunting bow, changed the normal arrow, but didn't effect the charged one at all, not the texture neither the particles, even though I changed both in the bow.gun

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  5. dangerbyrnes

6. tifel100

It seems fine but seems weird that you're trying to make an "arrow"type projectile for a gun.
    Try this:
    Code:
    {
      "projectileName" : "Carbinebullet",
      "frames" : "Carbinebullet.png",
      "animationCycle" : 0.25,
      "level" : 3,
      "energyCostPerDamagePoint" : 15,
      "frameNumber" : 1,
      "damageKindImage" : "icon.png",
      "pointLight" : false,
      "emiiters" : [ "beam" ],
      "actionOnReap" : [
        {
          "action" : "config",
          "file" : "/projectiles/explosions/bulletexplosion/bulletexplosion.config"
        }
      ],
      "power" : 20.0,
      "damageKind" : "default"
    }

7. dangerbyrnes

OK, i did that, and the crashing has stopped. but the particle effect no longer appears at all.

8. tifel100

try changing beam to daggerblue or w/e it's called to test.

9. dangerbyrnes

nope, that doesn't appear either.

10. tifel100

hmm, I guess bullets can't have particles, but I think they can have animation

11. dangerbyrnes

which is why i had it shooting arrows. and it worked fine, it shoots the arrows out with a particle trail behind it. but as soon as i try to make it use a different particle, it crashes.

12. tifel100

Maybe try changing back to your normal projectile file, but change damage kind to default?

13. dangerbyrnes

crashes with beam particle, but not daggerblue particle.

14. tifel100

try changing the beam color, maybe it's crashing because it's the exact same except for the name.

15. dangerbyrnes

changed color, still crashed.

16. jozzarozzer

jozzarozzer Tentacle Wrangler

if you could upload the file i'll have a look and see if i can fix it, i had a similar problem yesterday with particles crashing the game which i fixed.

17. dangerbyrnes

Oh, i figured out the problem. i also needed to make an effectsource file for the particle. i found daggerblue.effectsource in the effects folder and made a copy called beam.effectsource. now it works.

i knew there must have been another file i needed.

anyway, thanks for the help tifel100

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013