1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Crashes when trying to pick up an item

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Criwex, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Criwex

Criwex Space Hobo

I've been playing with the Frackin' Universe mods.At some point I decided to install additional StarGUI and Star Inventory, but encountered a crash, I decided to delete the last 2 mods, but when I tried to pick up an item, I got a crash with another error

Attached Files:

2. DrVoodoo

DrVoodoo Cosmic Narwhal

I haven't played Starbound in years, but generally speaking it's rarely a good idea to modify your modlist mid-playthrough. Just for testing purposes, try creating a new character and a new universe (is it an in-game option now? If it still isn't - change the name of your universe folder, and it should create a new one. Just googled it and it should be in Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage folder), and see if it happens again. If it does - I'd start with verifying game files through Steam. If it doesn't and everything runs fine on new save file - your character/universe might be corrupted and I'm not sure if anything can be done about that.

Also - sorry if I'm not too helpful, but the forums are in a bit of a limbo right now, and it might take a while for someone who actually knows wth they're talking about to reply. Might as well try some general testing.

Another option, stumbled upon something while I was typing the reply. There's a Steam thread with similar issue, another inventory mod that crashed with a similar error. Turns out - these mods edit your character file, but it might be fixable. First - check for player.bak files in your save folder, and remove the .bak. Might solve the problem. If it doesn't - there is a pretty complicated instruction on a possible fix, here's the link to Steam discussion:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/3/2549465882915865276/

Hot damn I hope I'm not breaking any of the forums rules by posting the link lmao. Moderators, if that's the case - sorry about that. :v

3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Why should that violate the rules? ^^

It's pretty much what @DrVoodoo said, "it's rarely a good idea to modify your modlist mid-playthrough". Inventory mods in general are a massive change since they alter the file structure of your playerfile. Usually these mods also warn about that and/or incompatibilities on their download page. Overall inventory mods should never be added during a running game because it is very likely to mess up you character.
    If your backup files don't work you might have to edit the files directly. Starbound comes bundled with tools to unpack and repack player files. I'd advise against fiddling with the playerfiles if you're not familiar with json tho, otherwise you might brick your file completely by removing the wrong stuff.

Also: both mods state that they're incompatible with FU so you either need to result to a backup file, edit the player file or start a new game. If you want to use an inventory mod for FU you can go with bk3's inventory mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=882900100)

4. DrVoodoo

DrVoodoo Cosmic Narwhal

No idea, I checked them twice before posting, buuut I also haven't been here properly for a long time, and some places can be a bit finicky about links in general x)

Edit: Also, to the original poster, if you decide to go with savefile editing path - create a manual backup before you do anything with it, will save you the headache if something does go wrong

Iris Blanche likes this.